Alaska Dress End of June

BrightyB

My wife is concerned on what type clothing to pack for Westerdam visit on 6/21 voyage. Understand temp. will be generally in the 50s and 60s. Any suggestions?

Layers. Layers. And did I mention layers? :D

In our three trips to Alaska we've had from warm to cold, from rain to sun ... just no telling. I generally look at the forecast about 2-3 days before we leave to get a current clue, and go from there for my final packing.

But generally, for outdoors I'm sure to pack a hoodie, a light to medium weight jacket (with a hood if you have it), jeans or slacks (Alaska is more casual), and at least one sweatshirt/sweater. Also comfortable walking shoes and if you have waterproof shoes, that's not a bad idea.

For onboard, I have a trusty black cardigan I always bring because sometimes the show lounges are a tad over-air-conditioned for my taste.

Note that if you forget something, or need a jacket, etc ... there are hundreds of stores selling the outdoor clothing. And sometimes at good prices, too!

I'm going on 7/5 - plan is to take layering options, a couple of dressy outfits, waterproof windbreaker than will fit over a fleece, possibly a light down jacket [flying SWA so I don't have to pay for a checked bag] I bought a pair of 'silkies' tights to wear under jeans or sweats on Glacier Bay day. I think all I need now is a pair of gloves and a pair of water resistant/water proof walking shoes for wearing on port days when its wet.

There is a discussion board here that has lots of ideas for packing: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=182

Also the Port of Call Alaska thread.

I've been advised to start watching Alaska weather a few days before cruising to see what is predicted 10 days out.

Agree - layers, layers, layers. I have been in Anchorage for business in January with only a light shirt needed. Then I have been there other times when fleece and a jacket was needed. Same for SE Alaska, it can be warm or cold in the spring, summer and fall. Of course, in July, August and September there are higher odds that it will be warmer.

Last year, it was in the 80's in June in Alaska. We went in July and it was still quite warm, 60's and 70's. Never needed more than a fleece jacket. I actually got a better tan last year on our Alaskan cruise, than we did on our Med cruise....strange...Don't forget to pack a good hat and sunglasses. The sun can be intense when it dances off of the water and glaciers...

We were there in mid May last year and it was in the mid 70's in Juneau and Sitka; low 70's in Ketchikan. A few raindrops in Ketchikan was all we had all week.

Friends in Juneau said it was low 30's and snowing three days before we got there.

The best advice was in the original reply; layers, layers, and layers- weather can change quickly up there.

Alaska in June might be very warm, might be wet and might be cold.

As others have said, "Dress like an onion" so you can peel off the layers as you need to.

We love to visit Alaska in mid-June near summer solstice -- the longest and often most beautiful days of the year.

Have a great trip, and here are some more packing tips:http://www.travelingwiththejones.com/2010/06/08/visiting-alaska-this-summer-10-tips-on-what-to-pack/

Last year, it was in the 80's in June in Alaska. We went in July and it was still quite warm, 60's and 70's. Never needed more than a fleece jacket. I actually got a better tan last year on our Alaskan cruise, than we did on our Med cruise....strange...Don't forget to pack a good hat and sunglasses. The sun can be intense when it dances off of the water and glaciers...

I agree with you Cruisecrazy. I've also experienced in my 7 trips to Alaska varied temps. I also bring a pair of sandals and shorts. You just never know.

I agree with you Cruisecrazy. I've also experienced in my 7 trips to Alaska varied temps. I also bring a pair of sandals and shorts. You just never know.

I was very glad I packed sandals and shorts last June it was so hot the whole time. You just can't tell what you might need, hence the layers.

When we were in Alaska it actually got quite warm so ..t shirt ,sweater jacket ,jeans,scarf ,socks running shoes speayed with waterproofing .if you fear walking where bears are tie little bells on the laces of the shoes.In my pockets cheap gloves and a cap or hat

If you go to see glaciers you will need to dress up ...glacial wind is cold

I carry a small back pack for weather changes ....too much put in toolittle get a sweater from bag

Best jackets are 20$ in Ketchican or anywhere ..they are warm and the best .I still wear mine to walk my dog in fall .they have them everywhere ..Mine was gold with blue trim or vice versa

I loved Alasja but do not miss the Yukon ..it is Gorgeous

I echo the layering, but be sure to include some shorts. The June we were in Alaska they had a heat wave and it was over 90 everyday for two weeks.However, I still needed a fleece, hat, and gloves when we landed on the glaciers and went dog sledding.