Tipping Baggage Handlsers at the port

scaper

HOLY %#@#

That is crazy. Do you know how much these guys make?

You are not going to get any better service than anyone else.

Donate your $$$$ to starving children :(

Most stevedores make 6 figures.

I guess we just hand them a $20, make sure they are tagged properly for priority, and don't spend the time trying to decide how much it was "worth". Customer service jobs are quite thankless for the most part, and for me, the passing of that tip is when I feel like I am finally ON vacation! :)

From what I have always understood...the porters do not work for the cruise lines. They are unionized and make quite a good living and the tips being gravy...or icing on the cake.

Am I wrong? Someone correct me if I am.

We always tip $1 per bag....

You are quite right. We also tip $1 - $2 per bag, but it's not required although we've heard many say they're afraid their bags won't make it to the ship if they don't tip. Nice racket!

We tip $5 -$10 and have between 2-5 bags.

The better question is what you tip when you debark Here the porter will help you find your bags and take you through customs and right to the cab or shuttle (Miami). I tip around $20-30 when debarking.

You are quite right. We also tip $1 - $2 per bag, but it's not required although we've heard many say they're afraid their bags won't make it to the ship if they don't tip. Nice racket!

Tipping out of fear. That's a new one. No way would they risk their salary for a missed tip. And how often does anyone post that their bags were ever lost.

Tipping out of fear. That's a new one. No way would they risk their salary for a missed tip. And how often does anyone post that their bags were ever lost.

Actually, I know for a fact some of the porters were attempting to shake down pax at the NO port.

Some years ago, I was headed in the doors when I heard an argument. I looked up to see a large black lady and a porter exchanging words. She was calling 911 and told them she was being robbed in front of the port. It seem the porter was not happy with her tip and had told her if she wanted to see her bags again, she needed to give him more money. The last thing I heard was her yelling at him as he slipped around the corner that there was no need to run as the police were on their way and she had his picture. One of my biggest regrets in life is I did not stick around to see what happened because I have always wondered, but it was raining and I was wanting to get on the ship.

Actually, I know for a fact some of the porters were attempting to shake down pax at the NO port.

Some years ago, I was headed in the doors when I heard an argument. I looked up to see a large black lady and a porter exchanging words. She was calling 911 and told them she was being robbed in front of the port. It seem the porter was not happy with her tip and had told her if she wanted to see her bags again, she needed to give him more money. The last thing I heard was her yelling at him as he slipped around the corner that there was no need to run as the police were on their way and she had his picture. One of my biggest regrets in life is I did not stick around to see what happened because I have always wondered, but it was raining and I was wanting to get on the ship.

I'm ad to hear it was reported.

Last cruise out of LGB (I am from Australia) I gave the guy $7 on CC recommendations, one big one small case and he just tossed the cases to the top of the pile in the crate, my brother in law gave him nothing and he placed their cases in the next crate neatly for stacking ease! So $7 dollars bought me a luggage toss:D

Next cruise in June they will not get the tip until after they have crated our luggage, if its mishandled they will get Zero tip;)

I dont think they have time to separate tipped and non tipped luggage let alone prioritize or favour excessively tipped luggage! as soon as you are done the next person is waiting!

I still think they deserve a tip though as a lot of that luggage is pretty heavy and they are lifting and moving it for hours.

Depends upon the port and the contract the cruise lines have in place..what is in Florida, may not be what is in New Orleans or Boston

We tip $5.00 for 2 bags and take a picture with our porter and thank them for helping our cruise start on a positive note

They don't know or remember you 5 seconds after you walk away. The porter loads the carts; the carts get loaded by machinery. After the porter loads my luggage on the cart I tip them $5-$10 but I am under no delusion that I am paying them to not have fun/batter/mess with my bag. They don't have the time or opportunity to; they want to get to the next person for their next tip.

I agree Maxwell.

The urban legend about not tipping the porters is not true.

Two seconds after you walk away, they are hustleing the next cruiser.

I pay them a $1 to leave me alone.:D

HOLY %#@#

That is crazy. Do you know how much these guys make?

You are not going to get any better service than anyone else.

Donate your $$$$ to starving children :(

Port Canaveral had signs that say that tipping is not required as they are on salary. I found out they are union and make 35-40 per hour there and almost are full time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
I have a cousin who used to do this and he never got the tips a lot of these big tippers here claim to give. The ones that really deserve something don't get anything, the folks that handle your luggage when Carnival gets it.

Did he get screwed by a lot of people, like most on here claim to do?

Should I post a youtube video of me handling my porter a $5?

I look at it like this, those bags have got to be heavy I'm going to give the guy 5$ per bag, tell the guy I need my orange sticker, watch him put it on and I'm gonna smile, say THANKS ALOT and start my cruise!;)