Kenya to South Africa Cruise Options, Tips, Ideas??!!

TLCOhio

Can I just add my 2c worth on Carnivore restaurant. This restaurant is IMHO not indicative of what South Africans eat and you will find that it is mainly frequented by tourists. I can guarantee you that South Africans don't eat crocodile, giraffe, zebra.

The beef in South Africa is (together with Argentina) the best I have eaten (and my husband and I have been to more than 50 countries). If you enjoy meat, rather go to the Grillhouse which is conveniently situated in Rosebank. The roads in Jhb are notoriously bad for potholes and I would not recommend you driving out to Muldersdrift (where Carnivore is) at night as it is a high crime area.

Mercury. I do agree with you that not every South African eats game meat (on a regular basis, if at all), and that Carnivore is probably more popular with tourists, but certainly if one wants to try this as a once in a lifetime thing, then many will do it when that is one's only chance. The same applies to Australians and kangaroo, and Americans and bison. Us foreigners visiting those two countries will seek out a tasting of kangaroo or bison because that might be the only chance we ever get to try it, but the locals almost never eat it. Another reason for the low consumption of these game meats in SA is also because of limited supply and high prices. You might remember the times in SA when ostrich was so expensive that one never saw it in supermarkets, and yet in recent years it is now regularly available in SA supermarkets as a healthier option.

I agree that if time is of the essence, then a restaurant in Rosebank/Sandton might be easier, although the experience will be different, and the range of meats more limited.

Stan and Mercury, I can't thank you enough for all your advice and recommendations. I love to eat and in particular good beef so I appreciate your dinner suggestions.

Our transfer to the airport from the hotel is all part of our post cruise package so i will have to check the timing of the transfer to figure out what I can fit in. It is good to know the traffic issues as that will determine how much we can do.

Again, thanks so much for all your help. Love CC for all the help you can get.

Kathy

Kathy, most welcome. You did not mention shopping (touristy things you might wish to buy), so feel free to ask if the need arises. I think that Mercury or others might have a more current view on the best places for shopping as I am not located in SA at this point in time. If buying trinkets on a street-corner or market-place then feel free to negotiate.

Also make sure that you do not bring biltong (dried meat, somewhat akin to jerky) back to the US region. Enjoy it in SA, or before you get off the plane when you arrive in the US.

Just read your post and saw you are well informed about South Africa from having lived there. We are presently planning for day trips as we will be cruising the various ports in Dec/Jan. One is Mossel Bay. Do you have any ideas what would be a good way to spend the day. One suggestion is to go to an Ostrich Farm. Is it worth 4 hours in a bus to visit? Whatever help you can give us will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Fern

Fern,

4 hours in a bus? Is that 4 hours one-way or 4 hours return? I am guessing that they may be taking you to Oudtshoorn area, so it might be Highgate Ostrich Farm or Safari Ostrich Show Farm. Oudtshoorn is just over an hour from Mossel Bay by car, so I can only assume it must be in that area (i.e. 2 hours there and 2 hours back).

I last went to an ostrich farm as a kid (and that is many decades ago LOL), but I would recommend a visit to one for sure. Another activity I would recommend are the Cango Caves. http://www.cango-caves.co.za/

Oudtshoorn has some lovely architecture, and is a small town worthy of a visit - all of these activities are around the outskirts of the town. I did a quick search and some tour vendors do offer all 3 as a day trip - it just depends on your timings. Also remember that December/early January are school holidays, and very hot. I would definitely do a trip with a tour group - depending on your timings.

This is the heartland of the following products: ostrich meat, ostrich biltong, witblitz (akin to moonshine in the US, but a regulated product).

Perhaps others can offer more suggestions for the area or Mossel Bay. Happy cruising.

Mossel Bay and the surrounding Garden Route is a fantastic part of South Africa. There is so much to do and I can't understand why more cruise ships do not use this as a port on their way to Cape Town.

Oudtshoorn is a lovely place for a visit. I agree with Stan that the Cango Caves are a must (we visited last month) and the best Ostrich farm IMHO is Highgate. It is, however, very very hot in Dec/Jan and very busy (hence why we went in April).

Another option would be to visit Knysna. One of our favourite day trips is to go to Featherbed Nature reserve (just google it). Not sure if any shore excursions to Knysna are offered. Knysna is slightly further from Mossel Bay than Oudtshoorn is, but the driving time will be similar as you do not have to go through a mountain pass to get to Knysna.

Although I live in Jhb, I am often in the Garden Route so feel free to ask!

If I was docking at Mossel Bay, I would definitely go to Knysna … it's only 100 km (60 miles) away and is absolutely gorgeous. It's a beautiful drive all the way along what we call the Garden Route, stunning! One fabulous place to go is the Knysna Elephant Park where you can ride on an elephant - see this website http://www.knysnaelephantpark.co.za

The Knysna Heads (at the mouth of the Knysna Lagoon) is a beautiful photo op and enjoy oysters!! It is such a beautiful lagoon and area with many boats and houseboats moored there too. Great restaurants at Knysna Quays and actually all over the area.

Even though our family own 3 ostrich farms in Oudshoorn and they are fun to visit, I would still prefer to do Knysna if I had to choose between the 2 …. By the way Knysna is pronounced: NYE-Z-NA

Just got back from our first visit to Australia and New Zealand (see more below). Loved it so much!! Looking for more of those non-Europe, non-Carib experiences that are different, unique and special. Now our early 2015 goal is Africa. Appreciate the great insights, tips and comments we have received in the past from Cruise Critic boards. Here are some questions and interests.

Just put down a deposit on a 13-day, March 23-April 5, 2015, #4507, Silversea Silver Whisper "adventure" from Mombasa, Kenya to Cape Town, South Africa. This would allow time prior to that cruise for some Kenya safari time, then do this cruise with stops in Zanzibar/Tanzania, three locations in and around Madagascar, three ports in South Africa and the finish in scenic Cape Town. Then, some more safari excitement in and around South Africa and maybe Botswana, after the cruise. Not cheap. Also challenging physically. BUT, we need to get these "things" done while we are young, health and active in our current mid-60's age range.

We enjoyed Silversea and Norway very much in July 2010 as detailed on the live/blog connected below. Here are my specific questions:

1. Any Africa super loves/experiences and/or where these types of cruise lines do some special things, super well for ship port stops/excursions at Zanzibar/Tanzania, Dzaoudzi/Mayotte, Nosy Be/Komba/Madagascar, Mahajanga/Madagascar, plus Richards Bay, Durban, East London and Cape Town in South Africa?

2. This 13-day Africa segment is a part of the much longer 2015 World Cruise. What are the pro and con factors for joining in as just a "segment" sailor on such a long, long cruise? Are there too many "cliques" already established on the ship or are they welcoming to "newbies" joining in for their "club" of long-established passengers on this overall journey?

3 Is the safety/security situation heighten and/or changed by major cruise lines when traveling/docking in these parts of Africa given its closeness to Somalia, etc.?

4. Other tips, questions, suggestions for doing a cruise in these exotic parts of the world?

THANKS for the help and interest! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 53,374 views for this fun posting.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 140,856 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

With regard to your question on Cape Town. There is sooooooo much to do there. I was born there and go back to SA every year for 2 months at a time usually 3 weeks with family and then 5 weeks on Safari. We prefer the Kruger Park area for game viewing. Anyhow back to Cape town. Top of your list I would put a visit or 2 to the winelands. Either Stellenbosch or Franschhoek areas. Magnificent scenery, fantastic wineries and lots of food as well. Then there is a boat trip from V & A Waterfront in Cape Town to Robben Island (where Nelson Mandela was incarcerated).

Go up on the cable car to the top of Table mountain for the most breathtaking views.

Visit the Penguins at Boulder Beach and then travel down to Cape Point where the indian and Atlantic Oceans meet.

Attend a concert at the foot of Table mountain at Kirstenbosch Gardens.

Day trips could also include: Cage diving with the Great White sharks in Gansbaai or Whale viewing (the Southern Right Whale) in Hermanus - we LOVE Hermanus!!

I can give you many, many more ideas if you are interested.

You will find South Africa is very easy to self-drive …. just be aware they drive on the left. The roads in the Cape are very good. We rent a car in Cape Town and then turn it in at the end of our stay and fly to Nelspruit (for Kruger National Park) and then rent another one there and self drive our safari.

Kathy, most welcome. You did not mention shopping (touristy things you might wish to buy), so feel free to ask if the need arises. I think that Mercury or others might have a more current view on the best places for shopping as I am not located in SA at this point in time. If buying trinkets on a street-corner or market-place then feel free to negotiate.

Also make sure that you do not bring biltong (dried meat, somewhat akin to jerky) back to the US region. Enjoy it in SA, or before you get off the plane when you arrive in the US.

Stan

I am not really a shopper and for the most part we don't bring back souvenirs. If i was to shop for anything it would be something that was a high quality 'art' object, something that I could hang on the wall or put on the mantle with some of our other treasures. We bought terracotta warriors in Xian made from the same clay as the original ones, bought a decorative papyrus in Egypt and silks in China and Thailand. That is about the only kind of shopping we do.

If you or anyone has any suggestions on what to bring home that can be displayed I would love it. As well as reputable place(s) to buy.

Thanks again for your help.

Kathy

We bought pillow shams which showed the Big Five pictures. Makes for interesting conversation with guests. There is also some lovely carvings. Just make sure they are local and not from China. We brought back some beaded Christmas ornaments which adds on to our world collection. We saw them being made.

If you or anyone has any suggestions on what to bring home that can be displayed I would love it. As well as reputable place(s) to buy.

We bought pillow shams which showed the Big Five pictures. Makes for interesting conversation with guests. There is also some lovely carvings. Just make sure they are local and not from China. We brought back some beaded Christmas ornaments which adds on to our world collection. We saw them being made.

Kathy,

Not sure if it is still so popular, but the beaded ornaments that 'no fuss travel' is talking about are also known as wire-art. Basically it is a wire frame shape e.g. of an elephant, lion, zebra, etc. etc., around which they wrap beaded thin wire to finish the object. Here are pages showing examples:

http://far-beyond-zebra.blogspot.com/2011/05/art-of-wire-crafts.html

http://www.africancraftsmarket.com/wirepage.html

You can get these products as small as key-chains (key-rings is what we call them) to really large sizes. You will find these products in many places that sell tourist products, or on many street corners. Perhaps one of the other posters can provide you with a few recommended places close to your hotel in Rosebank/Sandton area.

Regarding carvings, just be careful regarding US and Canadian regulations for bringing those products in - you probably know how paranoid the authorities can be about bugs ....

No fuss travel,

:) I know what you mean about the Big 5 pillow shams. My mom makes the Big 5 table/place-mats and sells those in Durban at the markets. They are pretty popular items. Kathy, you might see similar items in JHB.

Even though our family own 3 ostrich farms in Oudshoorn ...

Jackie & Tony,

Do you know the Grundling's from Oudtshoorn/old Calitzdorp road, Grundling's from Grundheim Wines, or the Bekker's from Calitzdorp?

(Old family friends that my grandparents used to visit regularly, and we went there on holiday as kids regularly).

Jackie & Tony,

Do you know the Grundling's from Oudtshoorn/old Calitzdorp road, Grundling's from Grundheim Wines, or the Bekker's from Calitzdorp?

(Old family friends that my grandparents used to visit regularly, and we went there on holiday as kids regularly).

We know of the Grundling's but do not know them …...

Stan

I am not really a shopper and for the most part we don't bring back souvenirs. If i was to shop for anything it would be something that was a high quality 'art' object, something that I could hang on the wall or put on the mantle with some of our other treasures. We bought terracotta warriors in Xian made from the same clay as the original ones, bought a decorative papyrus in Egypt and silks in China and Thailand. That is about the only kind of shopping we do.

Kathy

Kathy, I'm with you in regard to trinkets. Although the wire art is very cleverly made and some items are huge, it's still not anything that I would be interested in. You will find in Cape Town and in the game reserves, people selling big, beautifully carved hippos and giraffe ….. which is a substantial art item to grace one's home and bring African memories back to life. Also as you fly home, at the airport you will encounter a store "Out of Africa" although it's pricey it also has some very authentic African artwork - whether art, ceramic or clay as well as with animal skins or leather. V & A Waterfront Mall in Cape Town is another place to get some really beautiful pieces for the house. We bring back animal carvings and other "Africana" each year and have never had any issues with customs in the States. One year the family behind us on our 18 hour flight home had a 6 foot tall hand carved giraffe in their open seat next to them ….. very well tied and wedged in …….. :)

I haven’t done the bulk of this cruise (Mozambique- SA), but did do a couple of these ports on an Indian Ocean cruise on the Wind a little while back. I see you will be barding in Mombasa. You probably will go straight from a hotel to the ship. But if you do need somewhere to visit, Fort Jesus (originally Portuguese, then British) is a World Heritage site, and well worth seeing, especially the 16th century Portuguese graffiti. Also worth a stroll around the Old Town. Not as beautiful as Stone Town in Zanzibar, but some wonderful but run down buildings. In Zanzibar, the main tour is a walking tour of Stone Town – do get a guide, or you will be lost in minutes. But I can also really recommend the trip (usually offered by the ship) to the spice plantations. It is a wander through the rain forest, where spices are planted in small clearings between the trees. The trip was so good, we voted it worth the entire cost of the cruise. And in Nosy Be, although the trip to see the lemurs is a little touristy, it is a must do. The lemurs are delightful – at first you think that they must be a tame group, until another troupe decide that the one you are making a fuss of has had its time – and pile in with wild shrieks and drive them off to get their turn at the fruit. Yes, the villagers make their living from selling things to tourist, but that it the point – if they did not have this tourist trade, they would cut down the forest for farming and the lemurs would die out. And some of the embroidery etc. on sale is lovely in any case

Appreciate all of these good, added info items on this thread for these various areas in Africa. On another board are some items shown above that were shared and I thought these would be good to post here. Keep the excellent tips and ideas rolling along.

Coming tomorrow from the New York Times in their Sunday Travel Section, they have this headline: "52 Places to Go in 2014" with Cape Town, South Africa, at the top of their list for locations to visit this year.

Among the story highlights: "A place to meditate on freedom, and the creative life that followed. When Nelson Mandela was incarcerated at Robben Island prison, he found inspiration in Cape Town. 'We often looked across Table Bay at the magnificent silhouette of Table Mountain,' he said in a speech. 'To us on Robben Island, Table Mountain was a beacon of hope. It represented the mainland to which we knew we would one day return.' Cape Town’s importance to Mandela, who made his first address there as a free man, will doubtless draw many visitors in the wake of his death. Cape Town is celebrating design in all its forms, hosting architecture open houses, welcoming the public into artists’ studios and folding the annual visual arts spectacular Design Indaba conference in February into the design capital program. Cape Town is again reinventing itself, and the world is invited to its renaissance."

This story also has details on Namibia as ranked sixth with this notation: "Africa’s latest conservation success story is a boon for travelers." In the 19th position in the world, they had Laikipia Plateau, Kenya, with this heading: "A pristine slice of biodiversity is home to a new luxury eco-resort." At 39th is Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, with this highlight: "On the African coast, music thrives in a commercial capital." Lots of interesting highlights and options for Africa and the World!!

Full story at:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/01/10/travel/2014-places-to-go.html?ref=travel

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 58,142 views for this fun posting.

Appreciate all of these good, added info items on this thread for these various areas in Africa. On another board are some items shown above that were shared and I thought these would be good to post here. Keep the excellent tips and ideas rolling along.

Coming tomorrow from the New York Times in their Sunday Travel Section, they have this headline: "52 Places to Go in 2014" with Cape Town, South Africa, at the top of their list for locations to visit this year.

Among the story highlights: "A place to meditate on freedom, and the creative life that followed. When Nelson Mandela was incarcerated at Robben Island prison, he found inspiration in Cape Town. 'We often looked across Table Bay at the magnificent silhouette of Table Mountain,' he said in a speech. 'To us on Robben Island, Table Mountain was a beacon of hope. It represented the mainland to which we knew we would one day return.' Cape Town’s importance to Mandela, who made his first address there as a free man, will doubtless draw many visitors in the wake of his death. Cape Town is celebrating design in all its forms, hosting architecture open houses, welcoming the public into artists’ studios and folding the annual visual arts spectacular Design Indaba conference in February into the design capital program. Cape Town is again reinventing itself, and the world is invited to its renaissance."

This story also has details on Namibia as ranked sixth with this notation: "Africa’s latest conservation success story is a boon for travelers." In the 19th position in the world, they had Laikipia Plateau, Kenya, with this heading: "A pristine slice of biodiversity is home to a new luxury eco-resort." At 39th is Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, with this highlight: "On the African coast, music thrives in a commercial capital." Lots of interesting highlights and options for Africa and the World!!

Full story at:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/01/10/travel/2014-places-to-go.html?ref=travel

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 58,142 views for this fun posting.

Thanks for posting the link to the list. It was nice to see that we have either been or are going to a number of these places. It points out what a fantastic world we live in and have the privilege to travel around.

If I was docking at Mossel Bay, I would definitely go to Knysna … it's only 100 km (60 miles) away and is absolutely gorgeous. It's a beautiful drive all the way along what we call the Garden Route, stunning! One fabulous place to go is the Knysna Elephant Park where you can ride on an elephant - see this website http://www.knysnaelephantpark.co.za

I have tried to refrain from commenting on this, but after reading the weekend newspaper, I cannot leave this unmentioned: There have been allegations of cruel training practices at this and other elephant parks (you can also go to trip advisor to read further.) The truth of the matter is that an elephant is a wild animal and it is not normal for them to behave in the way that they do at such elephant parks. Now there is a case against one park brought by the NPSCA and the Knysna elephant park is also mentioned in the article.

http://www.iol.co.za/scitech/science/environment/elephant-park-facing-cruelty-charges-1.1690795#.U4QyB8cwiCc

So what I want to say is please don't visit a park like this. Rather see the majestic beauty of elephants in a game reserve and observe them as they are meant to be: wild and free.

Stan

Kathy

My suggestion for Johannesburg is to try African Queen:

http://www.joburgsdarling.co.za/post.aspx?id=831

This shop is located in the Benmore Gardens shopping centre which is 5 mins away from Sandton City. You could very easily get there by tuk tuk which is the popular way to get around these days:

http://sheshatuks.co.za/

If you happen to be in Jhb the first weekend of a month, it's a great idea to head to Artists under the sun:

http://www.artistsunderthesun.co.za/

For Cape Town options try:

http://handmadebymeblog.com/tag/south-africa/

Garden Route:

My ultimate favourite is the wooden birds handmade in Knysna. I have a lovely collection on display in my home. Try:

http://www.feathersgallery.co.za

or

http://www.birdsofafrica.co.za

Happy shopping!

My suggestion for Johannesburg is to try African Queen:

http://www.joburgsdarling.co.za/post.aspx?id=831

This shop is located in the Benmore Gardens shopping centre which is 5 mins away from Sandton City. You could very easily get there by tuk tuk which is the popular way to get around these days:

http://sheshatuks.co.za/

If you happen to be in Jhb the first weekend of a month, it's a great idea to head to Artists under the sun:

http://www.artistsunderthesun.co.za/

For Cape Town options try:

http://handmadebymeblog.com/tag/south-africa/

Garden Route:

My ultimate favourite is the wooden birds handmade in Knysna. I have a lovely collection on display in my home. Try:

http://www.feathersgallery.co.za

or

http://www.birdsofafrica.co.za

Happy shopping!

Thank you so much.

I have tried to refrain from commenting on this, but after reading the weekend newspaper, I cannot leave this unmentioned: There have been allegations of cruel training practices at this and other elephant parks (you can also go to trip advisor to read further.) The truth of the matter is that an elephant is a wild animal and it is not normal for them to behave in the way that they do at such elephant parks. Now there is a case against one park brought by the NPSCA and the Knysna elephant park is also mentioned in the article.

http://www.iol.co.za/scitech/science/environment/elephant-park-facing-cruelty-charges-1.1690795#.U4QyB8cwiCc

So what I want to say is please don't visit a park like this. Rather see the majestic beauty of elephants in a game reserve and observe them as they are meant to be: wild and free.

I was totally unaware of this and COMPLETELY SECOND what you said. Elephants are meant to be free and South Africa has so many parks where you can see them in their original surroundings. We have lived in 3 National parks during our lifetime - Hwange in Zimbabwe, and Kruger and Pilanesberg in South Africa and the conservation of animals is of utmost importance to us. I am so sorry to have been out of the loop about the above and withdraw my suggestion …. forgive me for even suggesting it, it breaks my heart.

I was totally unaware of this and COMPLETELY SECOND what you said. Elephants are meant to be free and South Africa has so many parks where you can see them in their original surroundings. We have lived in 3 National parks during our lifetime - Hwange in Zimbabwe, and Kruger and Pilanesberg in South Africa and the conservation of animals is of utmost importance to us. I am so sorry to have been out of the loop about the above and withdraw my suggestion …. forgive me for even suggesting it, it breaks my heart.

Thanks zebra - I agree with you that this is heartbreaking.

Kruger is an amazing place and we have been blessed to observe elephants there. My wish is that all people will rather choose to view elephants in the wild.