What's the latest on the Pride's propulsion problem?

jordanaire

We sail on the Pride in 29 more days and I was wondering what is the status of the propulsion problem the ship is having? Will it be repaired before we set sail? I, too, wouldn't mind skipping Freeport and stopping in Charleston instead! I lived there for 10 years and always love returning to the area!

:cool: Bill

It wasn't on the Pride....the problems were on the Carnival Miracle

Pride is also experiencing problems with a main propulsion transformer which is affecting speed, and has caused cancellation of Freeport, and substitution of Charleston instead.

We sail on the Pride in 29 more days and I was wondering what is the status of the propulsion problem the ship is having? Will it be repaired before we set sail? I, too, wouldn't mind skipping Freeport and stopping in Charleston instead! I lived there for 10 years and always love returning to the area!

:cool: Bill

I'm on the same sailing as you, and I would LOVE a stop in Charleston, because I've never been :)

From the last posted update on the Carnival FB page, the "Pride's" issue was to have been repaired at sea by the 19th. I've seen nothing since. I can only assume things are back to normal unless we hear otherwise. It has been pretty quiet on the social networks for today's sailing.

Just left the Pride today. EDIT: I'm not sure if the repairs were complete. The wake still looked funky to me, but I'm no expert. Our stop in Freeport was cancelled, so we only had two port days (Grand Turk and HMC). There was a medical emergency Wednesday evening and a woman was taken ashore by lifeboat. As a result, we were approximately 2 hours late arriving to HMC on Thursday. The Captain extended our stay in HMC, and we left port at around 6:50 PM.

We had some rough seas Saturday but still arrived back in Baltimore on time. Debarkation was running ahead of schedule with Zone 2 "relaxed" passengers off the ship and through customs by 10 AM.

Embarkation 4/13: due to the port being sanitized after the return of the Grandeur of the Seas, the terminal opened at 11 but boarding still began at around 12:30.

Edited by 422Melissa

photo_zps6e4e9203.jpg

Melissa,

We sure didn't make much of a wake in those seas did we? :D It did appear that they cut the starboard back down yesterday, but it was up to apparent near full power by the time we left Half Moon Cay. I assumed yesterday's cutback was to save it from too much stress with the wind and heavy seas.

Here's a picture from the 17th for comparison: <a href=DSCN0622_zpsb1506622.jpg' alt='DSCN0622_

Your explanation makes sense, Paul. Yes, we were really rocking and rolling! I should have asked Kirk about the repairs during his Q&A session.

Edited by 422Melissa
Photo

This person didn't mention porting in Charleston last week. Ports were Port Canaveral, and Nassau. Propulsion is what controls the speed of the ship. Its not moving as fast as normal.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Would someone please be able to explain the propulsion issue and why it is necessary to skip Freeport but port in Charleston, instead?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Mollypop1622,

Propulsion is how fast the ship propels itself thru the water. Pride normally propels with two azipods (Azipods are self contained engines that hang under the rear of the ship and rotate left and right as needed to maintain heading and for maneuvering), but since sustaining a power failure for one of the two azipods, Pride has been unable to reach full speed. The issue with Freeport is that the distance between Freeport and Baltimore is such that Pride has to run at near full speed to arrive in port on time. Charleston is considerably closer to Baltimore and thus she can leave Charleston in plenty of time to arrive in Baltimore on time for the next sailing.

There is no time crunch between Nassau and Freeport or Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay nor any variation thereof, but given that it takes over two full sailing days to reach the area of Pride's ports of call, she has to leave that area earlier in order to arrive back on time. Normally Pride would just slowly sail between ports, but to make Charleston she heads North toward Baltimore immediately after her second port of call at her highest one engine speed.

There was some speculation as to what actually failed; was it a generator or transformer or heat dissipation unit? That has not been fully answered, but it's most likely a combination of the three.

What caused the failure? Stray debris in the ocean or normal wear and tear or was it natural over time failure that would have been fixed in the routine dry dock? I have no clue.

All I can say is that we sailed her last week and had a great time. She vibrated more than she normally would have, but she got us where we most wanted to go and took us thru a storm that would have stressed any vessel and she handled it perfectly.

I posed the question regarding the "Pride's" issue to Jon Heald on FB, and here is his response -- "We have no changes to the current schedule but have made a few to our Alaskan season and I have posted those here and of course we have contacted the guests. The ship is running normal with just a small drop in speed available on one of the Azipods. Cheers and let me know if you have any other questions"