When do you pass the Statue of Liberty?

Sandyshore

Quick question, that I should be able to answer myself, but I've never paid attention to the time while sailing out of NYC. Can anyone tell me approx how long after leaving the Manhattan pier does the ship sail past the Statue? This assumes a 4pm departure time. I don't know if it takes longer for the Breakaway than the Gem to pull away from the pier, since it's a larger ship. I'm trying to get an idea of the window of time when either ship is passing the Statue. Thanks for your help!

Edited by Sandyshore

30 minutes or so from pulling out of port for the Statue of Liberty if I remember correctly. 50 minutes or so to the Verrazano Narrows Bridge.

Have a great cruise!

Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Edited by meatball_nyc

Yeah...30-40 minutes depending on the time of year, and how much Hudson River boat traffic there is. Each time we sailed we were the second ship to leave the pier. It seems endless sometimes - I don't feel like we're really on our way until we're under the Verrazano ;)

Yeah...30-40 minutes depending on the time of year, and how much Hudson River boat traffic there is. Each time we sailed we were the second ship to leave the pier. It seems endless sometimes - I don't feel like we're really on our way until we're under the Verrazano ;)

It's a Sunday in June, with 3 ships docked in Manhattan -- Gem, Breakaway, and Queen Mary 2. Both NCL ships leave at 4, QM at 5. I have no idea who pulls away first -- Gem or BA. Thanks for the quick response!

Do any lines use the Brooklyn terminal these days??

Queen Mary 2.. From Red Hook. Here's a pic of her snow covered deck from this winter.

P.S. Gem sails on Saturdays, not Sundays. Unless it's a trip to Canada. Breakaway will be the only ship at Pier 88.

ImageUploadedByForums1397949195.818882.jpg.b8b81e953823bbbcffc0b4669592a27f.jpg

Robin

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Edited by meatball_nyc

Queen Mary 2.. From Red Hook.

P.S. Gem sails on Saturdays, not Sundays. Unless it's a trip to Canada. Breakaway will be the only ship at Pier 88.

Robin

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Hmmm interesting. I'm going by the cruisett.com site, which shows all 3 ships in New York but doesn't differentiate between Manhattan and Brooklyn. Thanks for letting me know about the QM sailing from Red Hook. Gem does sail to Canada on June 21st -- a 6-day itinerary.

I agree about 30 minutes to the Statue of Liberty, and 15 minutes more to the Verrazano Bridge.

6/1/2014 Manhattan Norwegian Breakaway Bermuda

6/2/2014 Manhattan Crystal Symphony Canada New England/Transatlantic/Repositioning

6/3/2014 Manhattan Crystal Symphony Canada New England/Transatlantic/Repositioning

6/4/2014 Manhattan Carnival Splendor Canada New England

6/7/2014 Manhattan Norwegian Gem Bahamas

6/8/2014 Manhattan Norwegian Breakaway Bermuda

6/9/2014 Manhattan Carnival Splendor Caribbean

6/13/2014 Brooklyn Queen Mary 2 Transatlantic/Northern Europe/Repositioning

6/14/2014 Manhattan Norwegian Gem Bahamas

6/15/2014 Manhattan Norwegian Breakaway Bermuda

6/17/2014 Manhattan Carnival Splendor Bahamas

6/21/2014 Manhattan Norwegian Gem Bahamas

6/22/2014 Manhattan Norwegian Breakaway Bermuda

6/25/2014 Manhattan Carnival Splendor Caribbean

6/28/2014 Manhattan Norwegian Gem Bahamas

6/29/2014 Manhattan Norwegian Breakaway Bermuda

Hmmm interesting. I'm going by the cruisett.com site, which shows all 3 ships in New York but doesn't differentiate between Manhattan and Brooklyn. Thanks for letting me know about the QM sailing from Red Hook. Gem does sail to Canada on June 21st -- a 6-day itinerary.

We're on that Gem sailing to Canada (6/21/15). I hadn't checked other ships in port yet (it's a long way off :) ), but with the Breakaway there, we'll be sure to park our car early!

Are you asking about ships in port on that date for a specific reason?

30 minutes or so from pulling out of port for the Statue of Liberty if I remember correctly. 50 minutes or so to the Verrazano Narrows Bridge.

Have a great cruise!

Robin

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Agreed! We enjoyed a bottle of champagne on our balcony for sail away and finished it about the time we went under the bridge. ;)

OP....sailing out of NYC had BEAUTIFUL sail away views! Enjoy!

We're on that Gem sailing to Canada (6/21/15). I hadn't checked other ships in port yet (it's a long way off :) ), but with the Breakaway there, we'll be sure to park our car early!

Are you asking about ships in port on that date for a specific reason?

I always like to check the number of ships in port, just to be prepared for crowds and, like you said, parking. I also check each port on the itinerary to help plan my day.

SAFETY notwithstanding I hope all cruise lines do not schedule the MUSTER DRILL during this PRIME PHOTO OPT.

Thanks to everyone for pinning down the critical timing sailing past these most memorable sites !

I'm pretty sure the muster drill is always held before sailaway now. It used to be that the cruise line had the option of holding it within 24 hours of sailing but ever since the Concordia tragedy, they don't sail without conducting the muster drill first.

SAFETY notwithstanding I hope all cruise lines do not schedule the MUSTER DRILL during this PRIME PHOTO OPT.

Thanks to everyone for pinning down the critical timing sailing past these most memorable sites !

On my NCL cruises, the muster drill always occurred before sailaway, and now that it's no longer required to take your life jacket to your muster station, there's no need to hurry back to the cabin to drop it off before staking out a good spot. Of course you'll want to be able to move around the ship, going from port side for the NYC skyline to starboard for the statue.

I always like to check the number of ships in port, just to be prepared for crowds and, like you said, parking. I also check each port on the itinerary to help plan my day.

So are you sailing on the BA or on the Gem? If the latter, come over and join the Roll Call. :)

So are you sailing on the BA or on the Gem? If the latter, come over and join the Roll Call. :)

Well, since you asked...full disclosure: I'm not actually sailing anywhere this June :o. My son might be getting married at Liberty Warehouse in Brooklyn on the Sunday those 3 ships will be sailing right by, and I was seeking the timing info to advise him about optimal ceremony start time. (Ideally, it will be an outdoor ceremony.) I knew the folks here on CC would provide the answers I needed!

I really do check cruisett.com when I plan a trip. Next one is in December on Gem! Thanks for all your input, and have a great cruise :)

Well, since you asked...full disclosure: I'm not actually sailing anywhere this June :o. My son might be getting married at Liberty Warehouse in Brooklyn on the Sunday those 3 ships will be sailing right by, and I was seeking the timing info to advise him about optimal ceremony start time. (Ideally, it will be an outdoor ceremony.) I knew the folks here on CC would provide the answers I needed!

I really do check cruisett.com when I plan a trip. Next one is in December on Gem! Thanks for all your input, and have a great cruise :)

The sailing dates being discussed above are all for June *2015*

I use cruisett.com as well; it's nice to know how crowded (or not) a port will be...

Congratulations to your son!

My Niece got married at Liberty Warehouse last night. They took some awesome pictures with the statue of Liberty behind them as the sun was setting. We did see the Breakaway pass earlier that afternoon as we were outside taking pictures

Edited by NYcruzzer

It usually takes 30 minutes after you leave the dock

However, you can never know for sure what time you are leaving the dock

Sometimes if everyone is on the ship it will leave earlier than 4 and on some instances it will leave later

We left closer to 5 one time but I never left early.

I live near the hudson and on many occasions i have seen the ship pass by earlier than 4

I believe it was 3:30 and i live near the statue

This was from July 2010 - we were the second of three ships to pull out of port that day (Glory, Miracle, Veendam). I checked the time stamp on the photo and it says 5:20pm, and as you can see, we were still a ways from being right in front of the Statue - I may have even been zoomed in a little. The summer months there are a lot of sail boats and such in the harbor.

Cruise078.jpg

Edited by VickiD59