Breakaway in very early....

bob brown

Just noticed that the Breakaway passed under the Verrazano Bridge at 0238, local time....at least three hours early...wonder if she has some kind of medical emergency to dispose of? That's the usual reason for such an early arrival...sometimes they make a transfer to a rescue boat, and then drift around the harbor until normal docking time....

I am guessing they got lucky with the tides/current giving the ship an extra speed boost heading back up to NYC

I doubt that was the reason...in a case like you mentioned, they would have reduced power to take advantage of fuel savings, and still arrive on schedule....

Hoping that someone that got off today will see this and respond with the answer, if they knew it.....

Very unusual. I would like to know the reason as well.

Hope all is ok. Has anyone seen her on the portnywebcam? Since I check it on Sundays, it's usually shows the ship. All this morning, all it's been showing is the downtown skyline.

Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Captain & crew can't wait to get some of the spring breakers OFF their ship fast enough ?? :eek: :D Just kidding, a wild guess - I watched the tracking last night and she was amazing close to NY, approaching Sandy Hooks, NJ & Lower Bay by 1 AM already doing just 8 knots, less than 30 or 40 NM to the pier - engines definitely working fine as it had minor issues & repaired just before we sailed last month.

If it's medical, patient is stabilized enough onboard that they don't need to rush ahead or else they could call in USCG for a medivac, when we did RCL's EOS 2 years ago coming back to Cape Liberty, one cabin pax did received super priority disembarkation off - ground transport into a waiting EMS bus (our short buzz name for "BLS/ALS ambulance") with CBP & local LE vehicles arriving on the pier to clear them first - sailing back from Bermuda, we're doing normal cruise speed as a faster run would cost $$$ in fuel.

Perhaps, it's some sort of pre-scheduled maintenance back in NY pier, and they wanted to allow extra time for work and/or inspections to be done before setting sail again this afternoon - let's watch her webcam & harbor cam later on. Those lucky crew member on rotation for some shore leaves on land today would feel good, getting some extra & well deserved time to hit the city streets (some of them, we knew from past conversations - do go shopping for their basic necessities & even food, etc. in places like Chinatown & Queens)

Just off today and noticed how early we got in. Our bartender told us that some of the big wigs were getting on today, and staying on until Port Canaveral - so maybe that had something to do with it? There were no problems on board. I think there might have been a medical emergency in Port Canaveral, though. We were in on time, but weren't allowed off the ship until well after 1pm. When I got off, there was an ambulance on the pier.

Thanks for the update - NCL captains are known for their skills in outrunning storms ahead of them and barging thru if necessary.

There she goes - backing out of her Pier & ready to turn onto the Hudson for another sailing, right on schedule.

Look at oceanweather dot com on current marine forecast for sea & waves, could be a bit of rough ride on the way down overnight into tomorrow thru the VA/Carolina coast, 15 to 25 ft. waves for a ship her size aren't too bad - could try to sail around & run faster.

Edited by mking8288

I was on this sailing and everything appeared fine. I was surprised that we got in so early too. It seemed almost dopey going to bed when we were basically home. I thought maybe this was the norm with this ship and helped with off loading all the luggage, and bringing on supplies.

MJFC - welcome home, how was the ride coming back up - bumpy ? Skipper supposingly came in early to get ahead of the storm. When we came back last month, it was mostly calm & smooth, except 8' to 10' waves for a few hours with some small white caps. What time did they start the Express Self-Debarkation in the morning after pulling into the pier before 4 AM and then the rest with color-coded tags?

We're at the pier by 6:30 AM and our BIL/SIL was on the Express line by 7:30 AM but we used Priority Disembarkation (Orange Tags) and were off the gangway @ 8:35 AM and home at 9:30 AM with a quick taxi run - usually, we don't get home until 11 or 11:30 AM.

P.S. BA left NY's Lower Bay & passed Sandy Hook, NJ doing just over 10 knots but since gone to full speed at 21.5+ knots, hugging closer to the coast.

I was on this sailing and everything appeared fine. I was surprised that we got in so early too. It seemed almost dopey going to bed when we were basically home. I thought maybe this was the norm with this ship and helped with off loading all the luggage, and bringing on supplies.

Definitely not the norm docking so early for BA. Welcome home and thank you for the post.

~Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Out of radar ranges but should be somewhere off the coast of Carolinas heading toward PC, fog has lifted a bit but sea looks a bit choppy, more white caps than on recent sailing. Marine forecast of 10 to 15 ft. waves and looking like a bit of rolling - great conditioning for sea legs. :D