First time cruiser> Formal night?

Mrs.Gosse

We do not dress up, refuse to be intimidated by people who like that sort of thing. Look pretty and if your spouse has a sports coat have him wear it. He can always take it off once he is in the dining room. Don't go out and buy a bunch of stuff you will never use. camera men are everywhere and will take your pics in different settings. It is fun and you are in for a great time. I remember our first cruise, we were in total awe.

Who's intimidating you? :eek:

We don't worry about other people, and could care less.

We did the Alaska cruise on the Grand a couple of years ago and it was suit yourself how you dressed in the MDR. A lot of people were wearing jeans and t shirts and progressed to polo shirt and chinos on formal night.

Other people had obviously followed the dress code and brought what was deemed the proper attire.

When asked if there was a dress code the Maitre d admitted there was but if he tried to enforce it the MDR would be empty.

They really need to decide one way or the other and if there is a code or acceptable standard of dress then enforce it. That way it would stop people getting in a fluster whether to take this or that.

Personally I think a lot of people try to push the boundaries of what they think they will get away with wearing.

The cruise ship personnel determine what is acceptable on formal nights. All these discussions end up with a lot of incorrect information.

If you have questions about what is acceptable, ask the restaurant manager or maitre D and you will get the straight story.

My experience has been a long sleeve dress shirt and slacks are accepted in the mdr on formal nights.

Edited by swedish weave

Thank you for the info.

Do they have a web site for online ordering?

Love shopping!

I am always on the lookout for cruise wear.

You never know when the next cruise will be and I like to be prepared?

Hope you enjoy your cruise!

I belIeve it is tatyana.com... I absolutely love their clothes. Not a lot of places to wear those kind of 50s clothes though. I have already worn one of them to both a wedding and a funeral.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

The cruise ship personnel determine what is acceptable on formal nights. All these discussions end up with a lot of incorrect information.

Not that it isn't correct but because they report their personal experiences aboard the ships, which is what most people want to know in the first place.

If you have questions about what is acceptable, ask the restaurant manager or maitre D and you will get the straight story.

My experience has been a long sleeve dress shirt and slacks are accepted in the mdr on formal nights.

So true and it's worked for me & the wife on all out sailings in the past 10 years if not longer.

Not sure why the big fuss. I am not a big fan of getting dressed up, but when on a cruise I embrace it and go with the flow. Sometimes tux, sometimes suit, and sometimes sport coat but always a tie. Not that big of a deal. There have been times when I leave the attire on all evening and others when I change immediately after dinner to shorts. I do agree with an earlier post that suggests photography sales is the root of the tradition, but regardless, it is what it is and I embrace it, just as other requirements and rules while on board.

Not sure why the big fuss. I am not a big fan of getting dressed up, but when on a cruise I embrace it and go with the flow. I do agree with an earlier post that suggests photography sales is the root of the tradition, but regardless, it is what it is and I embrace it, just as other requirements and rules while on board.

The root of the tradition was that on ocean liners in the pre-cruise era every night was formal night in the true sense, at least for some of the classes of travel.

However, potential photography sales is definitely a factor in the continuation of this tradition even though relatively few people are in true formal outfits.

There are a number of people who still enjoy dressing up for formal evenings including some who rarely have the opportunity to do so at home.

The atmosphere of formal nights has definitely changed over the years. Our recent cruise seemed too casual. Luggage space really isn't the issue. You can always wear a sports jacket on the plane. If you hate to wear a jacket, go to an alternate dining venue or go to NCL. Don't try to turn a Princess cruise into another night at Denny's or the bowling alley. A cruise is supposed to be special.

Please do not compare Princess to Denny's.....Denny's would not be happy.....

There is really nothing special about cruising....it is just another form of transportation to see the world....and that is the idea to see the world and having a tux does not help do that..cruising is basically Las Vegas on a ship....

And yes...there is a double standard....women can wear whatever they want on "formal nights"....and there is plenty of bad style out there on a formal night if you go on a Princess cruise....they should not be allowed in the dinning room based on their style choice not that it meets formal requirement suggestions....

But many on these boards are trying to force men into a restrictive way of dressing....quit trying to scare people....I HAVE NEVER SEEN PRINCESS ENFORCE IT'S DRESS CODE....tell the truth....

Style is changing and getting more casual...that's why men no longer wear hats when they go out and women do not wear house dresses all day.:)

But many on these boards are trying to force men into a restrictive way of dressing....quit trying to scare people....I HAVE NEVER SEEN PRINCESS ENFORCE IT'S DRESS CODE....tell the truth....

Style is changing and getting more casual...that's why men no longer wear hats when they go out and women do not wear house dresses all day.:)

They do, but you'd have to be dressed pretty badly to actually be barred from eating in the dining room. They to be much more lenient than some other cruise lines. They like to please everyone no matter what the style of dress.

Better make that many men do not wear hats...I wear them as do many others...

P.S. I also wear a tux of formal nights, because I want to....

How?

1. My tux coat is lighter weight than my suit coat or sport coat. It packs tighter. I don't wear a coat on dress casual nights, so don't bring another sport coat.

2. I will have dress shoes anyhow for the evening, and can wear these on formal nights (patent leathers not required). Mine are ballroom dancing shoes.

3. I wear slacks to dinner, and the tuxedo pants are my slacks for 2 of 7 nights

4. Same with the shirt - 1 shirt for 2 of 7 nights, with ship's laundry in between.

5. Studs/cufflinks - < 1 cubic inch of luggage space, can be fitted into any suitcase.

6. Cumberbund /tie. One lies flat, but often these fit in the pockets on the cover of the suitcase, taking very little volume.

So, seeing as one wears the formal night wear for 2 of the 7 nights Alaska cruise (in this case), there is little extra compared with just having clothes for those nights, and the extra does not take up that much luggage space.

And if one wears a suit instead, then #5 and #6 don't apply, and a regular tie lies flat in the suitcase, taking even less room.

-------------

To the OP:

I, too, was skeptical about formal nights on my first cruise (back then we had 2 formal nights, 2 semi-formal nights, and 3 casual nights for a 7 day cruise), I soon found the formal wear created an atmosphere that was magical and romantic. You deserve to give it a try. :)

Do you think it was really the tux? We just got off the Ruby in Europe and lots of men wore slacks,dress shirt,tie and no jacket. No problem.We had 2 formal nights.

Edited by letsgo39

I wear hats too (need them to keep my head from burning), but my mom taught me that men take their hats off at dinner, in church, and during the pledge of allegiance :)

Tom

Better make that many men do not wear hats...I wear them as do many others...

P.S. I also wear a tux of formal nights, because I want to....

My husband always wears a tux on both formal nights and I always take two gowns ... but then his motto in life is "Happy wife happy life" ... he knows how much I enjoy dressing up so he goes along .. I know how much he enjoys science conversations so I study ... marraige should be about caring for the other person and their likes and dislikes are a part of that.

My husband always wears a tux on both formal nights and I always take two gowns ... but then his motto in life is "Happy wife happy life" ... he knows how much I enjoy dressing up so he goes along .. I know how much he enjoys science conversations so I study ... marraige should be about caring for the other person and their likes and dislikes are a part of that.

Exactly. That's one reason why my wife doesn't go the whole formal routine. She knows I hate it.

• 2 weeks later...
Please do not compare Princess to Denny's.....Denny's would not be happy.....

There is really nothing special about cruising....it is just another form of transportation to see the world....and that is the idea to see the world and having a tux does not help do that..cruising is basically Las Vegas on a ship....

And yes...there is a double standard....women can wear whatever they want on "formal nights"....and there is plenty of bad style out there on a formal night if you go on a Princess cruise....they should not be allowed in the dinning room based on their style choice not that it meets formal requirement suggestions....

I like this comment...

Go to Google Images. Type in "Cruise Formal Night" and there will be lots of picture of what other people have worn on formal night. It is a good starting off point. I would say your husband should wear a jacket. Usually the less formal , formal night, most women wear cocktail dresses.

Edited by LovetheSea