Seeking advice on Mediterranean cruise, new to the forums.

whodack

First time poster here.

My wife and I are looking to take a 6-9 day cruise in June. Trying to find a cruise line for us. We've cruised several times before, but it's always been Caribbean. We're at a different stage in our life looking for advice on which cruise line to choose.

What we're looking for:

• Mediterranean cruise.
  • Our budget is under 12k.
  • Age - Late 30s
  • Adults only. We have three children and are trying to have a "Get away" vacation.
  • Large ship.
  • Not too crowded.

I'm cross-posting this to a handful of the cruise lines we've heard about. Can any provide info for this cruise line, or suggest a better one given our criteria above?

Thanks!

Hi and welcome to the Regent board! In terms of adults only, you are looking for what many of us would love to see but does not exist on cruise lines frequented by people that live in the U.S. and Canada. There are one or two out of Europe. You may want to do a search for "all adult cruise lines". If you avoid school holidays and summer vacation, the odds are there would only be a few, if any, children on board.

Regent is an all-inclusive luxury cruise line. The least expensive cruises would be a little above your budget but do include just about everything you can think of from round trip airfare to most excursions, tipping, alcohol, large suites with balconies and wonderful service and food.

Regent and other luxury cruise lines do have an older population along with passengers in your age group. We have noticed that the average age skews younger on shorter itineraries (7-10 days).

If you are looking for a large ship with a ton of things to do, Regent would not be for you. While most ships hold 1,500 - 3,000 passengers, the two Regent ships in the Med. hold only 700. People that sail on Regent prefer the intimacy of smaller ships with more personalized service. It does have four restaurants plus one on the pool deck and three large cocktail lounges. If you sail on a large ship, you can pretty much bet that there will be crowds and long lines to board the ship.

Med. cruises are generally very port intensive and people are tired at the end of the day. You won't find a lot of night life late into the evening on these cruises (although they are always some people who enjoy partying later into the night -- just not a lot of them:-)

Hope this overview has helped somewhat. People of all ages like Regent. However, if it is not what you are looking for, I certainly hope you find a cruise line that meets your requirements and that you have a great cruise.:)

Regent ships are not large. So if that is something you really want, look elsewhere. But that is one of the things that we who cruise regularly on regent really love. With a smaller ship, you get to know the crew, your winters, the bartenders. And there are never crowds or waiting in line.

A 7 day Med cruise on regent would be at the top of your budget, but it would include everything, including airfare if you choose.

There are not a lot of kids, but there probably will be either just a few (when school is in session) or several ( during summer).

Regent is definitely not crowded, and the smaller ships can go to some more unique and interesting ports rather than places where you are one of 8 ships in port.

I concur with the above posts, with the caveat that there are many cruises in June On Regent that have special rates for families, and you are having a getaway from that, however, you won't escape children on large ship line. Regents fares for children are much more expensive than the big ships, so never too many of them.

I've been cruising with Regent since 2000. Many cruises, and I have four children, now grown. Never felt I couldn't take them then when they were in their 20's, but will say that I never took a cruise where the presence of little ones bothered me a lick. But I love kids, and have 5 grands. Love to see how the moms dress them up for dinner, and so far, they've been quite well behaved, mostly I don't know they are aboard, because I rarely use the pools. But I don't cruise on Regent with my little ones.

Large ship/small ship a problem if you want a big one one, so you may have come to the wrong place for that. Those big ones are all about a better price, size of your cabin, amenities, and all that you have to pay extra to make it what you want. You need to really figure what it will cost you in the end, to get what you want, and so many thing you simply cannot measure until you have experienced it. You and your wife are young. You will find that people in their 50's, 60's, 70's, and even 80's are also young if they are the ones out there dancing with you in the wee hours! The mix of people on med cruises is definitely younger, I have been on many of them, and they party into the night, just smaller numbers than on a big ship,

Never any lines of any sort on Regent, so no crowding, (like you will find on every big line with those ships into the thousands) but for nightlife on a port intensive cruise, not so lively, however, you could be tired too, and want to get sleep. But on these shorties, like I said, so many who are younger have the energy to burn the candle both ways.

Advantages for you if you like to tour, they are included, if you imbibe, no charges. The cabins are among the best at sea. Just huge compared to other big lines without a huge upgrade to get the same.

There are so many lines out there that don't have huge ships. If I would steer you away from anything, it would be that. Take a look also at Azamara and Oceania (sister ships to Regent) for choices. Cabins smaller at the base level than Regent, but a choice within your budget. Just beware that if you really want to take excursions in every port, this is a really big add on to the fare for any line you choose.

Edited by jhp

P & O operate 3 adult only ships. The largest, Arcadia, is a 2,000 passenger ship with gross tonnage if c 80. It is a quality ship, a tad on the bland side but plenty to do and good accommodation - mini suites and suites are huge & well appointed. Arcadia spends a lot of time in the Med. The age profile is towards the upper end and it is, predominantly, British - in respect if menus, passengers and style.

With their new ship coming on line they are re-positioning others, such as Azura, their Caribbean flagship, to the Med. That is more modern, has more facilities and may be better, not many children on board in June, I'd guess.

Other than that, you are better avoiding the smaller ships, like Silversea & Regent and consider the bigger, more glitzy Oceania, Celebrity or even MSC. if you are after expansive decks, pools and a range of lively evening entertainment then Celebrity or MSC are the best bets IMO.

Edited by Pies4u

I've been docked next to MSC ships several times in port, and the constant announcements in multiple languages drove me nuts. I have never been on a Celebrity ship, or Oceania, but I certainly don't consider Oceania to be in the "glitzy" category from pictures I've seen.

Before you do too much of whodack's homework, consider the original poster's name. See definition #2:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dack

I have no knowledge of whodack's legitimacy one way or another, but for someone who says they have cruised before - 30s, large ship, not crowded - it all seems a bit disingenuous. Could be you've been dacked!

You may well be right. The OP posted this exact message on 5 different boards and then has not been back??