Travel Ins

candfandm

I purchased travel insurance through insure my trip and I have upgraded my cabin to where I am paying an additional $150.00 for the cruise. Are you supposed to notify the insurance company everytime your cruise rate changes from the original amount you told them when you purchased it?

I purchased travel insurance through insure my trip and I have upgraded my cabin to where I am paying an additional $150.00 for the cruise. Are you supposed to notify the insurance company everytime your cruise rate changes from the original amount you told them when you purchased it?

Yes you should let them know.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

Yes, notify them of the additional amount you are now spending on your cruise. I have seen policies like the one the above poster describes where the insurance rate may not go up anyway because it may still fall into the same price "range" but I have also seen policies where the insurance rate is strictly based on a percentage rate of the total cost of the trip so your insurance would go up a little bit. It all depends on the specific insurance policy you purchased. Either way, y0u need to notify them.

Would you still notify them if the rate goes down such as in early saver rates?

Over the years I had lots of clients take advantage of a price drop that put them in a lower premium bracket. As long as I could supply written documentation (copy of initial cruise line invoice along with copy of invoice showing the new lower fare) I never had a problem getting my clients' policies adjusted and a refund of the difference in the premium. I don't know what their (Travel Guard, CSA and Travelex) official policy was. Maybe they just did it to keep me happy. But it never hurts to ask. By the way, if you bought the insurance through your TA or an online site such as insuremytrip you'll have to get them to ask for the reduction. Since a drop in the premium will result in a drop in their commission they'll have to be OK with it.

Edited by cruiseco

• 4 weeks later...