large group in Juneau in August - needs recommendation

rotman253

Hi there ,

we're going to be ~30 people in this port of call in August 2014.

what are the highlights of this port of call?

are there any local tours company we should check?

thanks for your help.

My only suggestion would be to break up the group into 15 small groups (assuming everyone is a couple) and let each small group do their own thing. Trying to make a group of 30 people happy will make 30 people unhappy.

I have done trips with smaller family groups and during the day everyone does their own thing.

DON

I am a firm advocate of splitting up and allowing EACH person to make their own choices. Simple- take a look at shore excursion lists and narrow down the interests. Decide if you want a ship tour or going independent. Either choice depending on the preference.

Alaska isn't the place to drag anyone along on a tour of little interest, nor the place to miss a priority tour opportunity. Group touring is not the way to go here, in my opinion.

I am a firm advocate of splitting up and allowing EACH person to make their own choices. Simple- take a look at shore excursion lists and narrow down the interests. Decide if you want a ship tour or going independent. Either choice depending on the preference.

Alaska isn't the place to drag anyone along on a tour of little interest, nor the place to miss a priority tour opportunity. Group touring is not the way to go here, in my opinion.

Oh, I totally agree.

On too many tours there will be an unhappy, bored person who got dragged along because it was something that the spouse or companion wanted to do.

Or even worse, the choice was a compromise as they each really wanted to do something else. :D

Whenever I hear someone say that, it reminds me of the Henry Higgins song from My Fair Lady

(ahem, for those of you who are old enough to remember My Fair Lady ;))

Make a plan and you will find

She has something else in mind,

And so rather than do either

You do something else that neither likes at all.

Edited by fleckle

My group is only 10 , but what hubby & I are doing is renting a car or van, planning the day ourselves (we have gone twice before) and asking anyone if they want to tag along, of course they may add stops to the agenda, too. The planning is being done in each port ,as well as offering the newbies help booking private tours if they prefer, I hate to see them take ship excursions ! We will just make plans to all meet at dinner.