Planning first river cruise~Line recommendations, please!

mmbl

I have been on nine river cruises with GCT and budget is not the best word for them....affordable is. They are not a luxury type line but they do fit a niche for many of us. Their ships may be old but they look new when you board due to their upkeep. The ships crew is like family by the end of the trip. I've even had the captain but me a beer at the bar a few times. Food is ok but I'm not a foodie and have never gone hungry. The biggest drawback for many are the fold down Pullman type beds. I'm 6'2" and always get good nights sleep on them. If you need a hotel style bed and want a cabin that is more than just functional travel on something other than GCT.

I like your word...Affordable!!! We have done land tours with GCT and been very happy with their service. For RiverCruising we go with their "sister" (actual feuding brother!) company Vantage which has much newer ships and no Murphy beds!! The brand new ship and suite we just booked for the Ganges cruise is quite luxurious!!

Not sure if Vantage or GCT sells outside the US although we have traveled with non-Americans on their ships.