How long is cab ride from StGeorge to Dockyard?

oneplustwins

I was able to locate that distance from St. George to Dockyard is 25 miles and would cost $60 plus tip. But what I can't find is how long will that ride take approximatly... is it 45min? An hour? I'm hoping someone here knows and can let me know. Thanks!!!

I was able to locate that distance from St. George to Dockyard is 25 miles and would cost $60 plus tip. But what I can't find is how long will that ride take approximatly... is it 45min? An hour? I'm hoping someone here knows and can let me know. Thanks!!!

It's going to cost more than $60...at least $75 (and that's on the low side)...more if you're traveling on a Sunday or have more than 4 passengers in the taxi.

I'd allow an hour.

It's going to cost more than $60...at least $75 (and that's on the low side)...more if you're traveling on a Sunday or have more than 4 passengers in the taxi. I'd allow an hour.
Really? Per the Bermuda transportation website it's $60 plus 15% tip... It's only two of us and we will be traveling on a Friday afternoon back to our ship. Edited by oneplustwins

Really? Per the Bermuda transportation website it's $60 plus 15% tip... It's only two of us and we will be traveling on a Friday afternoon back to our ship.

Taxi fares are increasing 25% on May 1...and I'm not sure exactly what website you're looking at, but based on my personal taxi-riding experience $60 seems to low even without the fare increase.

Really? Per the Bermuda transportation website it's $60 plus 15% tip... It's only two of us and we will be traveling on a Friday afternoon back to our ship.

You are looking at a web site that has not been updated for the 25% increase which goes into effect 5/1. If you multiply $60 X 1.25, you get $75.00 fare plus tip.

SBtS

Ferry doesn't work, we won't get back to the ship before sail away unless we take an earlier ferry which won't give us enough beach time. We plan on taking the ferry to get there, just not to get back. So $75+ with tip, huh? That's quite the cost!!!

By the way, I find that when estimates are given of taxi fares they're based on taking the trip's mileage and multiplying that by the rate (after all...how else could it be done). The problem is taxi fare computation is not that simple. Taxi meters add to the fare when the taxi is stopped for a certain amount of time or is traveling below a predetermined speed. I don't know what the formula is in Bermuda, but to give you an example, in NY City the fare increases by 50 cents for each 60 seconds when the taxi is not in motion or traveling at less than 6 miles per hour.

So please don't take estimates of taxi fares from websites (or provided by well-meaning people) as accurate, because they are low almost all the time for the reason I gave above. It would be rare for a taxi to not be stopped or slowed by traffic at times during its trip and estimates based purely on mileage don't take that into account.

Edited by njhorseman

Ferry doesn't work, we won't get back to the ship before sail away unless we take an earlier ferry which won't give us enough beach time. We plan on taking the ferry to get there, just not to get back. So $75+ with tip, huh? That's quite the cost!!!

If you could find another couple to share a taxi, you could cut down the cost. We've done it but not that far.

It takes 90 minutes to drive from St George to Dockyard at anything approaching the proper speed but many taxi drivers feel that regard for the speed limit is unnecessary so you may be able to do it in an hour.

With 15% tip, you won't see a whole lot of change from $100.

Trying to split the fare with another couple would be your best bet.

You could consider a cab to Hamilton and then the fast ferry from there. That might be quicker and cheaper if you can time it correctly with the ferry schedule.

First of all, thank you to everyone so far for all the advice. I've never been to Bermuda so all these tips are very helpful! I was wondering what you all thought of a bus from St. George to Hamilton (since there are four routes I'm assuming they run often) and then cab from Hamilton to Dockyard. Hamilton Ferry only runs once an hour while we're there and my fear is that everyone and their monther will be trying to catch that last ferry back to the ship before we sail away...

First of all, thank you to everyone so far for all the advice. I've never been to Bermuda so all these tips are very helpful! I was wondering what you all thought of a bus from St. George to Hamilton (since there are four routes I'm assuming they run often) and then cab from Hamilton to Dockyard. Hamilton Ferry only runs once an hour while we're there and my fear is that everyone and their monther will be trying to catch that last ferry back to the ship before we sail away...

I enjoy the bus ride from St George to Hamilton, but I think I'm the exception. The bus ride on a route #10 or #11 bus takes about 50 minutes; buses on routes #1 and #3 take longer because they run different longer routes.

Why a taxi from Hamilton to the Dockyard? The metered fare for 4 passengers would be close to $50.00. Why not the ferry from Hamilton to the Dockyard? That is only a 20 minute ride.

I don't really see a problem with the ferry capacity, but I wouldn't put myself in the position that it is the last ferry and I have to be on it. In other words, take an earlier ferry.

As I think about this, I realize you are planning to be in SG on departure day. Many on this forum think that is not a good idea to be at the opposite end of the island on that day. Any number of bad things could happen to make you miss your departure. Why not schedule your visit to SG on another day. If you do go to SG, why not return by the ferry?

SBtS

I wouldn't put myself in the position that it is the last ferry and I have to be on it. I realize you are planning to be in SG on departure day. Many on this forum think that is not a good idea to be at the opposite end of the island on that day. Any number of bad things could happen to make you miss your departure. Why not schedule your visit to SG on another day.
This is why I love CC. I'm starting to think the easiest solution is the obvious one that I never even thought of. If I switched day 1 with day 3 then I would have plenty of time to fit in SG. I need to take another look at my schedule... :)