Do we have time to go to Denali?

stilley9

Thanks in advance for your advice.

My large family (husband, 8 year old, 5 year old, parents, brother, aunt and uncle) are going on the Norwegian Sun in mid June. The ship leaves from Whittier around 9 pm on a Monday night.

We fly into Anchorage, landing Saturday night at 7:30. After all day in the air, I assume we'll just want to stick close to Anchorage Saturday night to sleep. But we can wake up bright and early Sunday morning to go somewhere, and we don't have to be in Whittier until Monday early evening.

My question - should we try to go to Denali? Some of my family really wants to see it. I know we don't have time to do an exhaustive tour, but can we have a good experience and see a good flavor of the park/the area if we only spend one night close by?

Thanks! :D

My question - should we try to go to Denali? Some of my family really wants to see it. I know we don't have time to do an exhaustive tour, but can we have a good experience and see a good flavor of the park/the area if we only spend one night close by?
No way. You need a full day (early > late) to see the park, and it's a 5-hr. drive in each direction, so practically it needs three days, or at least 2 1/2 with a super late return to Anchorage.

For those in your group who really want to see Denali, the only practical way is to do a flightseeing tour from Anchorage. This is costly but a spectacular experience. http://www.flyrusts.com/

My large family (husband, 8 year old, 5 year old, parents, brother, aunt and uncle) are going on the Norwegian Sun in mid June. The ship leaves from Whittier around 9 pm on a Monday night.

We fly into Anchorage, landing Saturday night at 7:30. After all day in the air, I assume we'll just want to stick close to Anchorage Saturday night to sleep. But we can wake up bright and early Sunday morning to go somewhere, and we don't have to be in Whittier until Monday early evening.

Your arrival time will be equal to 11:30pm at home. Sorry, you really do not have time for Denali Park. You need to allow 12 hours round trip for the drive, Anchorage/Denali Park and 8 hours for the Eielson shuttle. The whole point of Denali Park is getting INTO the park. It isn't worth the time and effort if you don't.

As an alternative, I suggest spending the day/night prior to your cruise in Seward. Yep, it will cost you for a one way rental car with Avis- Anchorage/Whittier, but is makes the best use of your too short time. It looks like you have 8 people, frankly a bargain with 2 rental cars for what it is going to give you.

You can enjoy the transit of Turnagain Arm, with an early start- allow 3++ hours you can get to Seward in time for the jackpot varied wildlife boat tour of Kenai Fjords (just making an assumption- people come to Alaska to see wildlife). In the evening, maybe take a look at Exit Glacier. The next day, you could do Seavey's Sled dogs, or the Sealife Center, depending on interests. It's about a 2 hour drive toward Whittier. Can stop at the Wildlife Conservatory and or Portage Glacier visitor center. You DO have to get through the tunnel on the 1/2 hour to Whittier. You drop the car at Avis/Harbor Store, right next to the ship.

You are headed in the right direction with boarding your ship later, to allow you at least some extra touring.

IF this is even a remote possibility and going this year, rent those cars NOW. Cancel later if you change your mind.

As someone who lives about a two hour drive north of Denali, I just want to comment that I agree that given the time limitations it is unrealistic to try to go to Denali. Also understand that the mountain itself if not viewable from the park entrance.

Our Department of Transportation and Public Facilities has been generating press releases since last fall regarding the amount of upgrades which are scheduled for the Parks Highway this summer. Travelers on that road could experience significant delays at some point this upcoming summer, so don't let members of your party argue that "it is only a five or six hour drive."

Our Department of Transportation and Public Facilities has been generating press releases since last fall regarding the amount of upgrades which are scheduled for the Parks Highway this summer. Travelers on that road could experience significant delays at some point this upcoming summer, so don't let members of your party argue that "it is only a five or six hour drive."

I checked out the AK DOT site http://511.alaska.gov/alaska511/mappingcomponent/index but it only shows current contruction. Is there anywhere that describes anticipated construction locations & dates?

I checked out the AK DOT site http://511.alaska.gov/alaska511/mappingcomponent/index but it only shows current contruction. Is there anywhere that describes anticipated construction locations & dates?

When the start of the actual construction begins, which is weather dependent, the DOT website will have a feature they call the "Navigator." That will provide some more updated information. But at this time the Northern Area office of DOT doesn't seem to be releasing specifics, but one of the design engineers has been quoted more than once by our local newspaper stating that if folks are driving from Fairbanks to Anchorage this summer they may want to consider the Richardson and the Glenn.

Actually, there are two additional things that you could click and that would be Planned Events and Future Planned Events if you hadn't.

Right, now there are a few on there that show what some of the activity is going to be for the summer.

Looks like a big one at Parks MP 165 to 305, so, it includes Pilot cars for the whole 2014 construction season (which their starting date on this one was April 18, and, the way the weather has been, I bet there are mobilized and ready to work, which could lead to 15 min to 1 hour delays from 7 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. every day. Plus, looks like it continues further up too.

So, 11 miles before the Hurricane Gulch Bridge through the Denali National Park area. Actually, a pretty good impact as Northern Aurora said in his previous post.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Edited by AkSusan

There's some links for what construction is planned here in the thread on Trip Advisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k7297076-Parks_Highway_Construction_Through_Wasilla_This_Summer-Alaska.html

Thanks Susan. I did not see those check boxes on the right. It is very useful! When I click through on the details, it leads to the Navigator site, which describes delays of up to 15 minutes between miles 264 and 268, which we wont be on. No other construction is planned for the time of our visit, so I will hope for the best and check for updates.

Edited by theloo

Thanks Susan. I did not see those check boxes on the right. It is very useful! When I click through on the details, it leads to the Navigator site, which describes delays of up to 15 minutes between miles 264 and 268, which we wont be on. No other construction is planned for the time of our visit, so I will hope for the best and check for updates.

So, you're not going up to Denali? Because if you are, there is going to be a major impact to there this year, and, their season started on 4/18.

Edited by AkSusan

So, you're not going up to Denali?

From looking at the maps, I understood the entrance of Denali to be around mile 240. We will be driving from Anchorage, so miles 260+ will be north of Denali, right? I'm sure there could be construction along our expected route, but none seems to be listed now. It is a bit confusing because there is not one single place to get info. Another site that I clicked through to lists plenty of construction along the Parks Hwy from April-October.

Edited by theloo

From looking at the maps, I understood the entrance of Denali to be around mile 240. We will be driving from Anchorage, so miles 260+ will be north of Denali, right? I'm sure there could be construction along our expected route, but none seems to be listed now. It is a bit confusing because there is not one single place to get info. Another site that I clicked through to lists plenty of construction along the Parks Hwy from April-October.

Actually, the entrance to Denali is at 237.4. I found another one to click and it looks like they are starting at 239 this year, so, looks like they are just starting a little north of Glitter Gulch (the area where there are the major hotels/lodges and food places are).

Though I also found one that said they would be doing something from MP 165 to MP 305, and, then you go to the Northern Region DOT site and it's a huge project http://dot.alaska.gov/parks2014/ Looks like they are working going north this year, and, then the 2015 season is when it will affect the park entrance and all around it.

No, you don't have enough time. In order to truly experience the wildlife and scenery in the park, you need to take a shuttle along the park road, which is at least an 8 hr trip.

For wildlife viewing, drive to the Wildlife Conservation Center about 1 hr south of Anchorage where they take in the orphaned and injured ... bears, caribou, moose, musk ox, bison, etc. Then go the visitor center at Portage Lake and Glacier, visit the Alyeska Resort.

Check out http://www.alaska.org and under Things to Do, look at the SCENIC DRIVES. For each drive they provide suggested stopping points and activities.

If you had checked on Google Maps, you would have found that it will take 4 hours 38 minutes without slow traffic or construction or stopping to see anything on the way or stopping to eat along the way to drive from Anchorage to Denali and another 4 hours 38 minutes plus to get back.

This means that you will spend about 10 or 12 hours or more getting to and from Denali.

Not possible.

DON

If you had checked on Google Maps, you would have found that it will take 4 hours 38 minutes without slow traffic or construction or stopping to see anything on the way or stopping to eat along the way to drive from Anchorage to Denali and another 4 hours 38 minutes plus to get back.

This means that you will spend about 10 or 12 hours or more getting to and from Denali.

Not possible.

DON

Actually, I had checked on Google maps, and knew the approximate amount of time to get from Point A to Point B. However, what I couldn't ascertain from Google maps was traffic issues (which have been detailed nicely here), and how much time it takes to fully experience Denali.

And frankly, leaving ANC on a Sunday morning at 7 am and arriving at 12 noon that day in Denali, touring the park the rest of the day, spending the night somewhere right by the park, and driving back Monday to get on a cruise ship that leaves Monday night at 9 pm is definitely possible. Not IDEAL perhaps, but possible.

But I do appreciate your thoughtful response.

Your arrival time will be equal to 11:30pm at home. Sorry, you really do not have time for Denali Park. You need to allow 12 hours round trip for the drive, Anchorage/Denali Park and 8 hours for the Eielson shuttle. The whole point of Denali Park is getting INTO the park. It isn't worth the time and effort if you don't.

As an alternative, I suggest spending the day/night prior to your cruise in Seward. Yep, it will cost you for a one way rental car with Avis- Anchorage/Whittier, but is makes the best use of your too short time. It looks like you have 8 people, frankly a bargain with 2 rental cars for what it is going to give you.

You can enjoy the transit of Turnagain Arm, with an early start- allow 3++ hours you can get to Seward in time for the jackpot varied wildlife boat tour of Kenai Fjords (just making an assumption- people come to Alaska to see wildlife). In the evening, maybe take a look at Exit Glacier. The next day, you could do Seavey's Sled dogs, or the Sealife Center, depending on interests. It's about a 2 hour drive toward Whittier. Can stop at the Wildlife Conservatory and or Portage Glacier visitor center. You DO have to get through the tunnel on the 1/2 hour to Whittier. You drop the car at Avis/Harbor Store, right next to the ship.

You are headed in the right direction with boarding your ship later, to allow you at least some extra touring.

IF this is even a remote possibility and going this year, rent those cars NOW. Cancel later if you change your mind.

Thank you - - this is great advice and I think you have swayed me... now to convince the rest of the crew. :)

An alternative to going south, if you wanted to go north is to Hatcher Pass. It is an absolutely beautiful area, lots of moose (usually), no caribou but its of hairy marmots and beautiful mountains and views. It transverses from Willow to Palmer...or vice versus....it will take about 6-8 hrs to do. If you look at Independence Mine you can see the area...Just one more suggestion....and I don't think that anyone has mentioned seeing the sheep on the passes around mm 101-110 on the Seward highway....They are usually in sight. The boat trips out of Seward offer lots of wildlife viewing also....and not just marine life. You frequently see bears, goats and sheep along the coast..I went to Denali yesterday to mm 30 from Anchorage and it took us from 10 am leaving and we got back at midnight....it is a long, long drive...For people who are here right now, you can drive back in the park to mm 30 to the Teklenika viewing platform...now, until the park is open on May 15th...for free...However, there is nothing opened yet..and people need to remember that most of the Highway is a 2 lane road...with speeds of 25-45 MPH....and I can guarantee the cops are looking for you if you are 2 miles over the limit...

Actually, I had checked on Google maps, and knew the approximate amount of time to get from Point A to Point B. However, what I couldn't ascertain from Google maps was traffic issues (which have been detailed nicely here), and how much time it takes to fully experience Denali.

And frankly, leaving ANC on a Sunday morning at 7 am and arriving at 12 noon that day in Denali, touring the park the rest of the day, spending the night somewhere right by the park, and driving back Monday to get on a cruise ship that leaves Monday night at 9 pm is definitely possible. Not IDEAL perhaps, but possible.

But I do appreciate your thoughtful response.

You are underestimating time. You claim it is "possible", but you need a grocery stop, since you have to take all your own food and drink into Denali. You are not likely to get there in 5 hours, it isn't freeway driving. Finally you are going to have to pick up tickets and get yourself in the line for the shuttle bus, which last leaves at 2pm, getting back about 10pm. I would think there may be some sleeping on the way back. :)

Yes, far from ideal, but as you speculate- might be doable for some people.

I had read the Park shuttle did not start till June 1st, is it different each year? We are going 2015. Thanks.

Googled and found this on the Denali National Park Service site -http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/hours.htm

Summer

Summer is the main visiting season. Summer bus service begins May 20 each year, although the entire road is not accessible by bus until June 8. Shuttle buses operate through the second Thursday after Labor Day each year. Thus, shuttle bus service ends:

September 12, 2013

September 11, 2014

September 17, 2015, etc.

Most summer visitor services and activities are available between late May and early September. During this time, the park's main visitor center is open daily, 8 am - 6 pm.

Buses start going all the way to Eielson June 1st and Wonder Lake June 8th. Of course, this is all contingent on the weather, and, how fast the snow melts, and, how fast they can get the road open. Actually, I think it was about 3 weeks ago, they showed a picture of the graders and plows working on clearing the road.

Edited by AkSusan

If you really want to do Denali, it's possible in your time frame. You would need to rent your car when you arrive and drive to Wasilla to spend the night. The worst traffic is from Anchorage to just past Wasilla. If you overnight in Wasilla, you can get groceries etc. there. Get up and leave EARLY the next morning (as in 5 am or so) to beat the traffic. It is light pretty much 24/7 so you won't have to drive in the dark. When you get to Denali, go directly to the Transportation Center and get your shuttle tickets. Then you can spend the night near the park or somewhere on the way back to Anchorage. Recommended is that you rent from Avis and get a one-way and return it in Whittier before you board the ship. Then you don't have to deal with returning a car and getting other transportation to the ship.

To the OP, I think Wolfie11 has given you a good option. It's sounds like you're really motivated to make this work and since it's at the beginning of your trip, you won't be quite so road weary. Everyone has different travel styles and nothing in life is for sure. Who knows, this might be your only shot at Denali. Hopefully you'll be lucky enough to go back one day but if it's really important to your family---Do it---- and don't have any regrets later:)