Comments please on my DIY land tour before cruise!

gotatravel

Ok..you all have talked me into a DIY land tour instead of a Princess cruise tour and for good reason! Need comments please on feasibility of the following plans so I can reserve B and B's etc for the proper nites. Not sure if my time of year will affect my plans.

5/25/15: Fly into Anch. 1:30 pm/rent car/drive to Seward with stops along the way. Overnight at B and B in Seward.

5/26/15: Drive from Seward to Talkeetna (sites along the way). Overnight.

5/27/15: Flightsee out of Talkeetna to Denali in a.m. (If do a glacier landing...is it needed or different to do a landing by helicopter in Juneau?) Drive to Denali and see visit Husky home in the evening. Stay overnight in Healy or Denali area.

5/28/15: Take Tundra Wilderness tour or shuttle to Wonder Lake. Are the seats in the tour buses much more comfortable and higher backed than the school bus shuttles? Stay again in Healy or Denali area.

5/29/15: Drive back to Anchorage (time to stop for flightsee if the first one got cancelled on the way up). Drop car rental off and shuttle to hotel downtown.

5/30/15: Shuttle/taxi to train for Whittier in a.m. Go on Marine Surprise Glacier tour in afternoon. Board Princess ship after tour.

I would appreciate any comments/must do's along the way:). Thanks so much!

5/28/15: Take Tundra Wilderness tour or shuttle to Wonder Lake. Are the seats in the tour buses much more comfortable and higher backed than the school bus shuttles?

The TWT and shuttles use the same type of buses, just different colors. You will pay much more for the TWT and not go as far into the park.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/visiting-denali.htm

Are you doing anything while you are in Seward? A Kenai Fjords cruise?

I was going to suggest Exit Glacier, but you may be too early for the road to be open. I'm not sure I would drive all the way to Seward to stay the night and then turn around.

And speaking of the road being open... With your dates at Denali, you'll be there before the road is open to Wonder Lake. http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/hours.htm

Are you doing anything while you are in Seward? A Kenai Fjords cruise?

I was going to suggest Exit Glacier, but you may be too early for the road to be open. I'm not sure I would drive all the way to Seward to stay the night and then turn around.]

My thoughts too. What is the point in going there?

Thanks AK for the shuttle info. Sounds like the Tundra tour will take you as far as it is open. Is it really worth doing (and $) the tour at all? A lot of time on a bus and would there be good animal sightings for that time of year...end of May?

Was planning on Exit glacier, but that may be an issue too. Originally planned arriving in Anchorage, going as far as Girdwood or Portage and then turning around to head to Talkneeka for the 1st night. Thought it would be too long of a drive for an arrival day. Keep hearing about the Seward highway and thought that was a "must see".

Since you have asked, it is not the best plan.

Problem with Seward- little point in going there with what you are doing and so short on time?

Question your "needed" comment on Talkeetna flightseeing? Is it of interest to YOU? Nothing is "needed", and I question itineraries, that have features that are "popular choices" with the individual priority to do the activity.

As mentioned, the buses are very similar, enhances school buses, in Denali park. You won't be going to Wonder Lake, farthest you can go will be Toklat, which is the same distance as the TWT. Up to you if you want to pay about 4 times the cost?

It's probably too late for you to add a day, but that would give you a superior itinerary if you continue to want to include Denali and Seward.

As a suggestion, IF you want the best time saving option for Seward, then budget the money and go direct Seward to Whittier, switching your order, and do Denali first and Seward last. It's a simple easy transfer from Seward that would get you to Whittier in time for a Prince William Sound boat tour. This suggestion makes better use of your short time, allows you activities in Seward and eliminates wasted time back tracking.

Will you be arriving in Anchorage from NH? My now retired geologist husband traveled to New Hampshire on business four to six times a year while working. He actually sleeps relatively well on planes, but even he wouldn't attempt to drive from Anchorage to Seward after flying in from NH. And I also don't understand the drive to Anchorage to Seward if you aren't there for a reason, for example, a Kenai Fjords trip.

Was planning on Exit glacier, but that may be an issue too. Originally planned arriving in Anchorage, going as far as Girdwood or Portage and then turning around to head to Talkneeka for the 1st night. Thought it would be too long of a drive for an arrival day. Keep hearing about the Seward highway and thought that was a "must see".

Actually, driving south along Turnagain Arm to Girdwood is not a bad idea. You could visit the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center and/or take the tram to the top of Mt. Alyeska. Drive back, spend the night in Anchorage and continue on to Talkeetna the next day.

Thank you all. I was afraid of doing too much the first day, but I also did not want to miss a scenic drive to Seward (that I read so much about). A B and B in Girdwood would likely be a more relaxing the first nite .

BQ: I meant to say: I want to do a glacier landing....which is better...McKinley or Juneau area?

What would be a good alternative to a day in Denali in late May if the deep Tundra tour is out? Thanks!

Even tho you can't get as far into the park in May, you can get to Toklat which is the beginning of prime bear viewing. The park will be greening up so the animals will be busy foraging. It's often a great time to see wildlife, and especially babies.

If you have your heart set on Seward AND denali, I'd flip the itinerary and rent a one-way rental from Avis. It would look like this:

5/25 arrive in Anch. Drive to Talkeetna 2 1/2 hrs and overnight. Flightsee if good weather

26 2nd try at flightseeing. Drive to Denali 2 1/2 hrs to overnight. Catch the 4pm free sled dog demo if it's offered

27 shuttle to Toklat

28 drive to Girdwood 6 hrs. Overnight

29 drive to Seward 2 hrs. Kenai cruise or visit Exit Glacier. The visitor center doesn't open until Memorial Day weekend but the trails are open. Bring boots because there might be a snow and slush on the trails. O/N Seward

30 drive to Whitter 3 hrs. Be mindful of tunnel hours as the Anton Anderson tunnel is only open once per hr in each direction

Anyway ... just a suggestion to consider.

Thanks Maple Leaves. I hadn't thought about 1 way travel...thought the charge was huge because I had checked it out from Fairbanks to Anch. originally. Anch to Whittier not as bad. We would actually save the train transfer from Anchorage to Whittier and allow us a longer glacier tour in Seward. Is there a real concern about sea sickness with cruises out of Seward?

Thanks Maple Leaves. I hadn't thought about 1 way travel...thought the charge was huge because I had checked it out from Fairbanks to Anch. originally. Anch to Whittier not as bad. We would actually save the train transfer from Anchorage to Whittier and allow us a longer glacier tour in Seward. Is there a real concern about sea sickness with cruises out of Seward?

If you want to include Denali and Seward, mine and Maple's posts are the only way to do it, frankly.

I do NOT recommend the TWT in Denali for independent visitors. I suggest the Toklat shuttle bus. which is the farthest you can get, mile 53.

Glacier boat tours are out of Whittier, which I highly recommend. If you go through the 11:30am tunnel, you can easily do this.

As for a Kenai fjords boat tour, the bulk of this boat tour is scenery and varied wildlife. YES there is a REAL concern about sea sickness boating Kenai Fjords. Take precautions is prone. Consult your health care professional, if any questions. I see sick passengers every trip. (over 25 times)

Avis would be your only option for one way since they are the only vendor in Whittier.

I've turned green on 2 of 3 Kenai Fjords cruises. We had bad weather on those 2 days and the tour ended up being downgraded to a tour of Bay which I thought was pretty boring. And it was still choppy so I didn't feel well. The 1 successful trip was absolutely fantastic though so I'd always try for it again. If it's windy and the sea is choppy, don't even attempt if if you're prone to motion sickness.

Ok..you all have talked me into a DIY land tour instead of a Princess cruise tour and for good reason! Need comments please on feasibility of the following plans so I can reserve B and B's etc for the proper nites. Not sure if my time of year will affect my plans.

5/25/15: Fly into Anch. 1:30 pm/rent car/drive to Seward with stops along the way. Overnight at B and B in Seward.

5/26/15: Drive from Seward to Talkeetna (sites along the way). Overnight.

5/27/15: Flightsee out of Talkeetna to Denali in a.m. (If do a glacier landing...is it needed or different to do a landing by helicopter in Juneau?) Drive to Denali and see visit Husky home in the evening. Stay overnight in Healy or Denali area.

5/28/15: Take Tundra Wilderness tour or shuttle to Wonder Lake. Are the seats in the tour buses much more comfortable and higher backed than the school bus shuttles? Stay again in Healy or Denali area.

5/29/15: Drive back to Anchorage (time to stop for flightsee if the first one got cancelled on the way up). Drop car rental off and shuttle to hotel downtown.

5/30/15: Shuttle/taxi to train for Whittier in a.m. Go on Marine Surprise Glacier tour in afternoon. Board Princess ship after tour.

I would appreciate any comments/must do's along the way:). Thanks so much!

Hope you enjoy driving more than seeing things.

5/25 - 127 miles. Lots of traffic. Figure 3 hours plus to drive. Is 1:30 your flight arrival time or the time you expect to pick up your rental car? You will arrive in Seward about 4:30 if you do not stop to see anything. You will not see anything on the 25th.

5/26 - 238 miles . Lots of traffic. Figure 6 hours to drive. You will not see much that day either. No time.

5/27 - What are your backup plans if the flight does not go because of weather? Besides, besides flight-seeing, there is nothing to do in Talkeetna. I guess if there is bad weather, you can go directly to Denali.

5/28 - This is the only part of your plan that makes any sort of limited sense.

5/29 - Healy to Anchorage - 249 miles. Lot of traffic. Figure 6 hours to drive. No time for flight-seeing.

5/30 - Anchorage to Whittier - 60 miles but you have a tunnel schedule to make - figure 3 hours. You might make the afternoon Glacier tour.

Do you get the idea that your plan makes no sense as it give you lots of driving and no opportunity to stop and see anything?

I would drop either Seward or Denali and then you will have time to see stuff. Of the two, I would keep Denali and drop Seward.

DON

Thanks everyone for your taking the time to respond. Sounds like I will forget Seward since the ocean tour would be out for me (I can be prone to motion sickness) and do the Whittier instead (coupons avail. for that one!). If Exit glacier is questionable at that time of year there wouldn't be a reason to go down (I am listening to you all!) The first day's drive to Talkneeka from the airport could be a bear but we have experience of maxing out our first day in Europe after a long air flight. Still considering the 1 way rental to Whittier to save the stress of the last day and the train cost....maybe stay in Girdwood the last nite and relax.

Thanks again everyone for being there and so willing to share info!

since you have an interest in glaciers, how about this option after Denali?

5/27 shuttle to Toklat

28 drive to Matanuska Glacier. Overnight at Homestead Guest Cabins (maybe stop by Independence Mine Historical Park on the way. http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/indmine.htm )

29 a morning ice trek with MICA Guides. Then drive to Girdwood just south of Anchorage. Along the Turnagain Arm stop at the Wildlife conservation Center, Alyeska Resort, pan for gold, etc. (suggested stopping points in this link: http://www.alaska.org/guide/turnagain-arm-drive )

30 a little more sightseeing then drive to whittier

Edited by mapleleaves

Thanks Mapleleaves,

You've given me some great ideas...checked them on line tonite. How cold can I expect it to be on the glacier at the end of May? Not sure I could handle 3 hours in deep cold.

May is usually my favorite month. Unless you are talking May 2013!!!! It's sunny more often than not. Since I'm prone to easily chill in the slightest breeze, I always have lightweight gloves, something for my ears, and a jacket to block the wind. But typically, it wouldn't be cold on the glacier. But then, 2015 could be like 2013, in which case May will no longer be my favorite month! And you don't have to do a tour of the glacier. We've taken visitors to Matanuska who want no more than to stand on it and have their picture taken.

Thanks everyone for your taking the time to respond. Sounds like I will forget Seward since the ocean tour would be out for me (I can be prone to motion sickness) and do the Whittier instead (coupons avail. for that one!). If Exit glacier is questionable at that time of year there wouldn't be a reason to go down (I am listening to you all!) The first day's drive to Talkneeka from the airport could be a bear but we have experience of maxing out our first day in Europe after a long air flight. Still considering the 1 way rental to Whittier to save the stress of the last day and the train cost....maybe stay in Girdwood the last nite and relax.

Thanks again everyone for being there and so willing to share info!

Frankly, there are some excellent motion sickness remedies that work very well. In my opinin, this is a top tour choice to consider since it gives an excellent close of view of a glacier and is a jackpot varied wildlife opportunity. IF you really are prone to motion sickness, I have also seen a lot of sick passengers on cruise ships. Precautions can be worth the effort for some.

I don't find it cold on glaciers. Layers are the key and Matanuska is easy trekking and a good value since you don't need a fly in.

But the "must" for those with a glacier priority is a Prince William Sound boat tour, the top choice in my opinion.