Teenage Dress Code

Hi,

Apologies it this has been done to death, not sure !

On the IOTS July 2 week Med, with 15 year old boy

Does this dress code sound ok ?

Casual

Smart jeans / Chino's with polo shirt

Smart Casual

Formal

Chinos / Trousers with shirt ( possible tie )

Just don't want him overdressed if he doesn't really need to be.

Many Thanks

Hi,

Casual

Smart Casual

Formal

I have a 15 year old son who has cruised with me as recently as last summer. For casual/smart casual nights, he wears chinos/polo and on formal nights he wears chinos, shirt/tie/jacket. Also, I ask him to wear his topsiders or other (casual) loafers to the dining room instead of tennis shoes each night. For a 2 week cruise, I probably would skip the jacket for him on formal nights, as I'd have enough to pack as it is, and I suspect the general cruise population will not be quite as dressed up as normal for formal nights on a longer cruise in the summer.

(I will add though, that he usually makes friends on the ship and often just wants to go get pizza with them instead of sit through dinner in the MDR/specialty, and I frequently allow him to do that. So on those nights he usually "dines" in the Windjammer or Sorrentos in shorts, gym shorts or whatever, LOL.)

We were on that cruise last year and I've just checked my daughters photos and all the photos from formal night shows the young boys aged 15 to 17 wearing shirt, tie and jacket. A large group of teens even went together for a formal photo. The teens seem to enjoy the opportunity of getting dressed up for at least part of the night.

My boys are older now but we cruised with them when they were that age. I would explain to him that he will not be denied entry wearing what you've described but I would also show him the published dress code and let him know most others will be dressed more formally (on formal night).

He might be comfortable dressing casually in a more formal environment. On the other hand, he might prefer to conform.

Edited by galavant3

My boys actually like to get dressed up for formal night, so we pack jackets, ties, and dress shoes (dress shoes=anything but sneakers and sandals). I think the key is to be COMFORTABLE--and wear what you want, regardless of what others think! I think chinos and polos are great (and I sort of wish I didn't need to pack those jackets and ties and dress shoes!)

My boys always were in jackets and ties, and as young adults, still wear jackets and ties, when appropriate. I never gave them a choice because I never looked at it as a "choice". They never complained. It's all in the way it is presented.

Smart casual nights, they would wear khakis, dress pants and usually a button down shirt, and other nights, nice jeans, and nice polo shirt. Never t-shirts or shorts.

Your question implied "teenage dress code" as such it was different than an adult, when in practice, kids, teens and adults have the same dress code and expectation.

He will NOT be overdressed, on casual nights and especially on the formal nights.

We find the Med cruises to be a bit dresser (on formal nights) , even if just a week and even if RCI. Many his age will wear a jacket for formal nighs. The dress you described for casual is what many men, teens and adults will wear to dinner.

Enjoy

M

Hi,

Casual

Smart Casual

Formal

Many Thanks

What you describe will be perfectly fine. If your boy does not like to dress up with a jacket and tie, there is no need to.

I notice absolutely no difference in dress on Casual and Smart Casual nights...seems silly to still publish it! Doing so just gives the "dress code police" something to talk/complain about. Cruising, like most things in life, is much less formal that it used to be.

Our boys call it "suiting up". And it comes from Barney on How I Met Your Mother

I remember the first time our youngest came to me and asked if he could where his suit that night going out with the" guys". I said what???? He said "I want to suit up"

They loved, when they were in late teens, to do it for fun and they said they got lots of attention from the girls. Which they liked! They still do it.

And they liked it on formal nights

We were on that cruise last year and I've just checked my daughters photos and all the photos from formal night shows the young boys aged 15 to 17 wearing shirt, tie and jacket. A large group of teens even went together for a formal photo. The teens seem to enjoy the opportunity of getting dressed up for at least part of the night.

I've seen plenty of kids/teens, my own included at times, dressed in coat ant tie on formal night, and I've seen plenty of kids/teens, my own included at times, without a jacket and/or tie, just as I've seen plenty of grown men on formal night without a jacket and/or tie.

My teen girls are trying to decide whether to take their homecoming dresses, which are formal as prom dresses but shorter in length. They would be mortifed if they 'stood out' as overdressed. Any girls go that fancy?

Edited by SandyBShores

My boys always were in jackets and ties, and as young adults, still wear jackets and ties, when appropriate. I never gave them a choice because I never looked at it as a "choice". They never complained. It's all in the way it is presented.

Smart casual nights, they would wear khakis, dress pants and usually a button down shirt, and other nights, nice jeans, and nice polo shirt. Never t-shirts or shorts.

Your question implied "teenage dress code" as such it was different than an adult, when in practice, kids, teens and adults have the same dress code and expectation.

*LIKE* That is so nice to hear parents encouraging proper attire. :-)

My teen girls are trying to decide whether to take their homecoming dresses, which are formal as prom dresses but shorter in length. They would be mortifed if they 'stood out' as overdressed. Any girls go that fancy?

Absolutely! Take those dresses and enjoy the compliments. They will not be overdressed.

We see young ladies dressed like this on formal night all the time. We even see that on non-formal nights.

And this is exactly the reason (well one of the reasons) that my sons wear suits on formal nights! They want to feel properly dressed hanging around all the beautiful girls in their gorgeous dresses!

Only been on shorter cruises but our son (who has cruised at 12 & 15) wears dress pants, button down shirt and tie for formal nights and khaki pants and golf shirts/button down shirts (no ties) for the casual/smart casual nights. He is a big kid (6' 3") and trying to pack the suit jacket just didn't happen. We saw folks in everything from tuxes to shorts on formal night. If he and you are comfortable with what he plans to wear-you will be fine.

Hi,

Casual

Smart Casual

Formal

Many Thanks

you should be fine.

the last cruise we were on (that had kids on it) the large table next us was a table of 10-12. 3 adults the rest teens.

the teens were better dressed the ENTIRE week. ties on the boys for formal nights, nice dress shirts and slacks, never saw a pair of jeans at all not even casual nights. the girls all wore sun dresses and nicer( think wedding nice) for formal nights.

the one male adult wore a tee shirt on Formal night. not even a collar.

a lesson to be learned here; far better to be OVERdressed than UNDER dressed. shows personal pride in ones' self and maturity. also shows respect for the cruise line and other passengers.

a lesson to be learned here; far better to be OVERdressed than UNDER dressed. shows personal pride in ones' self and maturity. also shows respect for the cruise line and other passengers.

I completely disagree. Assuming your clothes are neat and clean, how you dress has nothing to do with pride, maturity, or respect. The only lesson to be learned from threads like these is that some people like to follow silly guidelines and look down on other people who don't.

The OP's son will be fine and will fit right in with the crowd with what was described.

Edited by deedeetoo
typo

I The only lesson to be learned from threads like these is that some people like to follow silly guidelines and look down on other people who don't.

The OP's son will be fine and will fit right in with the crowd with what was described.

I agree that they OP's son will be fine. But I don't think that complying with a published dress code is silly.

Some people were raised (including myself) to dress as requested when attending functions that have published dress guidelines. I am just not comfortable ignoring the request and dressing otherwise. Personally, I just think it is the polite thing to do.

However, I was also raised to not judge others and I think that commenting on what others do or don't wear is impolite.

Edited by galavant3

I usually see some girls in dresses like what I imagine you're describing, but I also see a lot of girls whose idea of "formal" is any casual sundress that just happens to be super short and/or strapless. I guess their thinking is "if it's sexy, it must be formal" LOL.

It's funny in a way... whenever I see a group of teens together on formal night inevitably either the girls or boys are dressed up and the other are not. If the girls are all in sparkly formal dresses, the guys they are with are barely wearing chinos and polos, if that. If the guys are in suits and ties, the girls are in little casual dresses and flip flops.

I agree that they OP's son will be fine. But I don't think that complying with a published dress code is silly.

Some people were raised (including myself) to dress as requested when attending functions that have published dress guidelines. I am just not comfortable ignoring the request and dressing otherwise. Personally, I just think it is the polite thing to do.

However, I was also raised to not judge others and I think that commenting on what others do or don't wear is impolite.

Facebook-Like-Button.jpg

I agree and respect your point of view. However, it is usually best to follow a policy of "to each his own". We'll all get along better.

Everyone has a right to subscribe to their own point of view, whether one agrees with it or not.

I agree and respect your point of view. However, it is usually best to follow a policy of "to each his own". We'll all get along better.

Everyone has a right to subscribe to their own point of view, whether one agrees with it or not.

:eek:lol;)