What hotel to stay in pre cruise in New Orleans?

jdragr

Do you want to be in a quieter area or close to Bourbon Street and all the action?

Quieter. We are going to take Amtrak down and will be with our two young daughters. No desire to see the sights. I've been to New Orleans more than once.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quieter. We are going to take Amtrak down and will be with our two young daughters. No desire to see the sights. I've been to New Orleans more than once.

I would recommend the Drury Inn and Suites. It is in a quiet location away from Bourbon and is very nice. Security there is good, you can't access the rooms without a key. The staff was very nice and the rooms were very comfortable. It is also not that far from the port.

Hilton New Orleans. Far enough from the bustle of French Quarter so you can enjoy some peace and quiet, but still close enough that you can be in the thick of the activity in less than 10 minutes. There is a trolley stop right next to the hotel entrance, and the cruise terminal is just a couple blocks behind the hotel. Get a room that faces the river, and you can watch the cruise ship come into port in the morning.

Edited by PCHENG

We have booked Embassy Suites, Convention Center for our Sept. cruise.

Good - you will like that, we were just there.

Nice staff, rooms are presently being renovated, nice breakfast and evening reception, close enough to walk to things, can even walk to the pier if you are sailing Royal Caribbean (Carnival I would take a cab). We kept it easy and ate dinner both nights down the block at Mulates, which was really fun and delicious.

We had two days in New Orleans pre-cruise, and decided impulsively to take a Hop On Hop Off city bus tour to get a lay of the land. We did not hop off, we stayed on but at the end, we decided to just start walking and managed to make it to the French Quarter. I was (and still am) recovering from cancer treatments so this was an accomplishment for me. If you have good shoes, your feet won't hurt and you can walk and walk. :)

Good - you will like that, we were just there.

Nice staff, rooms are presently being renovated, nice breakfast and evening reception, close enough to walk to things, can even walk to the pier if you are sailing Royal Caribbean (Carnival I would take a cab). We kept it easy and ate dinner both nights down the block at Mulates, which was really fun and delicious.

We had two days in New Orleans pre-cruise, and decided impulsively to take a Hop On Hop Off city bus tour to get a lay of the land. We did not hop off, we stayed on but at the end, we decided to just start walking and managed to make it to the French Quarter. I was (and still am) recovering from cancer treatments so this was an accomplishment for me. If you have good shoes, your feet won't hurt and you can walk and walk. :)

That's great to hear Langley Cruisers ~ I so need this vacation......

Congratulations on all of your accomplishments with the battle of cancer.

Happy Cruising

Hilton New Orleans. Far enough from the bustle of French Quarter so you can enjoy some peace and quiet, but still close enough that you can be in the thick of the activity in less than 10 minutes. There is a trolley stop right next to the hotel entrance, and the cruise terminal is just a couple blocks behind the hotel. Get a room that faces the river, and you can watch the cruise ship come into port in the morning.

Does the Hilton have a shuttle to Carnival?

We have stayed at Drury and really loved it. The hotel is nice and it was really nice because they had the "kickback" menu=free food in the evenings. It was like a buffet and they also offered sodas all day, then breakfast in the morning as well (hot). This cut down on the price of eating out for our family.

This last time we stayed at The Blake Hotel, which is right beside Drury basically and liked it as well. They have a restaurant inside the premises (although it's not included with the price of the room), but a nice feature.

If you don't want this area at all (since you are not interested in sight-seeing, you could possibly stay in the warehouse district (which is right there where the ships docks basically). We stayed at Springhill and it was very nice with a hot breakfast buffet included as well. :)

Prytania Park!

+1 We've the PP for a few nites prior to our cruise and, although we've never stayed there, the booking experience was great which is an indicator that our stay is off to a good start. :)

Do you know if there is a hotel that will allow us to park our car for the week and shuttle to the port?

Once again - Prytania Park. We're staying for 3 nites before our cruise and leaving our vehicle in their lot during our 7 day cruise. No extra fee. :D

Prytania park does not have a shuttle, but taxis to the port are $7pp flat rate.

When you get ready to head to the port, call the front desk and have them go ahead and call the cab so by the time you get the luggage out front the cab should be pulling up.