Transderm Scop seasickness patch

Traveller20074

What are your experiences with this? I got some today at the doctor, and am afraid to try it. She gave me a couple extra to see how they affect me.

I'm afraid to take it lol I'm pretty sensitive to meds, even non-drowsy Bonine made me drowsy. if I'm loopy a bit, that's ok lol just don't want to sleep the day away.

I also read that hallucinations are a possible side effect?

For some folks it works really well. For others, the side effects can be quite interesting...which is why you will not find a cruise ship physician who gives them out or even recommends the things. When we did a long cruise on the Prinsendam we became very friendly with the onboard physician (a board certified ER doctor from Florida) who entertained an entire dinner table with stories of transderm scop side effects. The most interesting tale was of an elderly woman found wondering the corridors late one night...and she was totally nude (it must have been a sight). This was attributed to the patch. Another story was about a gentleman who suffered from pretty severe hallucinations when on the patch.

DW and I used them several years ago and I was fine except for a dry mouth. But DW found that after a couple of days she was unable to read her book because of blurry vision. The side effects did disappear within a day after we took off the patches.

Hank

From what one of the on board nurses told us, the 'interesting' side effects, such as hallucinations, are more likely to occur in older people. While younger people can also have hallucinations the odds are towards those older.

I'm one who gets seasick very easily. The non-drowsy Bonine (actually the generic version) totally knocks me out. Luckily, I don't have any problems with side effects from the patch, but DH knows if I start acting loopy (or loopier than usual) to immediately remove my patch and stay with me for a few hours until the effect wears off. Actually I have such problems with seasickness that my MD has me taking ginger capsules in addition to wearing the patch. With that combination I've withstood over 45-ft without problems.

For me, the patch is what enables us to cruise. But, it isn't for everyone. Good luck.

If your doc gave you a few extra, try one at home. Will you be a passenger on a car trip soon? Try it then.

The side effects can range from dry mouth and blurred vision to the hallucinations. The first two are the most common.

If you are flying to your cruise, start the patch before you leave home. If you think you can rely on Bonine, which many docs would recommend start it before your travel begins too.

If you are Canadian Bonine is not available in your country but easily found in US pharmacies.

If you are worried about side effects, since the patch is a very strong medication, try this. Place a small round bandaid behind your ear. Place the patch so that it is half on your skin and half on the bandaid. This will reduce the transmission area of the patch, reducing the dosage (which means less side effects but also less motion sickness reduction), and sometimes increasing the duration of the patch. Do not cut the patch in half, as this will cause the scopolamine to leak out the cut edge, dosing you quicker.

I have used the patch for years; every cruise, flight, amusement park visit, etc.

I've never had any side effect other than dry mouth on the first couple of days of wear. Bonine makes me drowsy, patch doesn't. Ginger, wrist pressure bands don't work for me. No blurred vision, either. I am VERY prone to seasickness. Get ill on a boat still sitting at a dock on a lake!

I am 63 and not sure if thats considered "elderly" but I assure you, no hallucinations or naked hall wandering.

I used the patch on my first 3 cruises and I loved them. I had no side effects and definitely helped with my motion sickness. However, on my 4th cruise, the patch started to dialate my eyes and I had to take it off. I think the patch was interacting with a new medication that I was taking.

I have used the patch for years; every cruise, flight, amusement park visit, etc.

I've never had any side effect other than dry mouth on the first couple of days of wear. Bonine makes me drowsy, patch doesn't. Ginger, wrist pressure bands don't work for me. No blurred vision, either. I am VERY prone to seasickness. Get ill on a boat still sitting at a dock on a lake!

I am 63 and not sure if thats considered "elderly" but I assure you, no hallucinations or naked hall wandering.

my mouth is so dry, I'm sucking on candy lol

I'm going to try the SeaBands, ginger and peppermint essential oil and ginger pieces (just ordered them) along with the patch

If you are worried about side effects, since the patch is a very strong medication, try this. Place a small round bandaid behind your ear. Place the patch so that it is half on your skin and half on the bandaid. This will reduce the transmission area of the patch, reducing the dosage (which means less side effects but also less motion sickness reduction), and sometimes increasing the duration of the patch. Do not cut the patch in half, as this will cause the scopolamine to leak out the cut edge, dosing you quicker.

good idea :)

I have a terrible time with seasickness and have tried everything. The patch is the best for me. The only side effect I have is about two to three days into usng it, my throat gets very dry. I do not experience any other symtoms. I do not cruise or fly without the patches.

I use the patch on every cruise and I love it! No side effects for me at all, and it lasts about seven days for me instead of three. If you decide to use it, be sure to take a couple extra patches with you, as you can swim/bathe/sweat it off sometimes.

Better to try it before you board than to wait!

I get motion sick from driving, amusement park rides, even some movies, especially 3D. Before the naysayers start, I am also on anti-seizure meds and get severe migraines, which my neurologist at Stanford says are genetically linked to motion sickness. But I love to cruise, so need to be prepared.

My dr told me to put the patch on 3 days before I board because it's better at preventing sea sickness than treating it. At first, I just had a dry mouth. The day I boarded, my eyes turned blood red, like Scifi movie vampire red lol Very freaky looking! They burned like crazy too. Read on the package that this is a RARE side effect and you should immediately remove the patch if this happens. We hadn't even set sail yet. I didn't start Dramamine until the next day because I was afraid of double dosing meds. I should have started the Dramamine when I took the patch off. I ended up pretty nauseated my first sea day :( If I'd given it a test run, I would have known how I reacted and would have started Dramamine a few days before instead, then enjoyed every day of my cruise.

Both my husband and I hated the patch. Many side effects (some minor, some worse) Blurry vision was first...we couldn't read the menus(and we both have fine vision) ...not really loopy..just ok. No emotional highs or lows...flatline-Like something was keeping out excitement controlled. Love the sea sickness pills(generic Boninine) at guest services

Safe sailing

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app