Cruising with a child who has epilepsy

am17_new

We've booked a Disney cruise for May. My 7 year old has epilepsy which was uncontrolled by medicines till 6 months back. 6 months back she had surgery and is now doing fine. I booked this cruise for us to celebrate her successful surgery, but as the date is getting closer I'm feeling scared taking her away from land and doctors and hospitals. Does anyone else feel anxious taking children with health issues on a cruise? Any tips for us? Would like to hear positive experiences as well.

As long as her doctor has given the "go ahead", it should be fine! The whole point of the surgery was so she could do "normal" things, right? So...go and do! Enjoy!

Of course, ask her Dr. about the "what-ifs"....and then, try not to think about it...she's doing good....don't put a crimp in the fun she will have!

I've spent a bit of time in medical centers on different ships and they're really wonderfully equipped. As long as it's ok with her doctor, I think you can feel confident that it will be ok. My daughter has had medical issues and visited ship doctors twice and was really well cared for - enough so that I was comfortable booking us an ocean crossing when she was 4. My husband also had some serious medical issues when we used to cruise and was very well cared for when he had to see the doctors on board. They deal with many urgent situations - both from crew and passengers with health problems or sudden emergencies.

Congratulations and have a wonderful cruise!

Best,

Mia

OP - I see from your other posts you just booked this trip. Most travel insurance providers require you to purchase travel insurance within a set time period from the date you made the first deposit for your trip, to be covered for a pre-existing condition.

I highly recommend you purchase insurance. It's just not that expensive. I know it's paid for itself many times over for our family. We usually purchase from Travelguard or TravelSafe. There is an insurance forum here, you may want to check there for more information.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

Edited by 6rugrats

As long as her doctor has given the "go ahead", it should be fine! The whole point of the surgery was so she could do "normal" things, right? So...go and do! Enjoy!

Of course, ask her Dr. about the "what-ifs"....and then, try not to think about it...she's doing good....don't put a crimp in the fun she will have!

You are so right!! The doctor removed all restrictions 3 months back. We parents now need to learn a new life without fear. I'll remember your advice... we'll let her have fun and have fun ourselves!!

I've spent a bit of time in medical centers on different ships and they're really wonderfully equipped. As long as it's ok with her doctor' date=' I think you can feel confident that it will be ok. My daughter has had medical issues and visited ship doctors twice and was really well cared for - enough so that I was comfortable booking us an ocean crossing when she was 4. My husband also had some serious medical issues when we used to cruise and was very well cared for when he had to see the doctors on board. They deal with many urgent situations - both from crew and passengers with health problems or sudden emergencies.

Congratulations and have a wonderful cruise!

Best,

Mia[/quote']

That is really good to know. Hopefully we'll not need anything, but I'm very happy that good emergency and medical services are available.

OP - I see from your other posts you just booked this trip. Most travel insurance providers require you to purchase travel insurance within a set time period from the date you made the first deposit for your trip, to be covered for a pre-existing condition.

I highly recommend you purchase insurance. It's just not that expensive. I know it's paid for itself many times over for our family. We usually purchase from Travelguard or TravelSafe. There is an insurance forum here, you may want to check there for more information.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

I'm looking into insurance options and will definitely buy one. Thanks for pointing that forum, that should be helpful.