Alaska Cruise and Icy Strait

I've gone with Misty Bay Lodge in ISP for a fantastic whale watch (and following bear search) in the past, and have booked with them again this May 22nd for another whale watch. Very comfortable 6 passenger boat - covered aft area if you wish to be outside for picture taking, a small bathroom on board, and a 'crows nest' with a padded bench seat to climb up top of the board for even better viewing. Amazing Captain Dan really found us the whales. We were so fortunate to see numerous instances of breaching, bubblenet feeding, and of course, countless tails and humps. Not something you can book upon arrival, however - you really need to book ahead of time - they do two whale watch excursions per day - one in the AM and one in the PM. Google 'Misty Bay Lodge' and take a look at their website with all the whale watching and bear viewing options they offer.

You might like to ask this on the Alaskan board.

We prebooked our whale watching in January for our May sailing - but we chose a tour operator who has a very small capacity.

My impression of ISP from reading about it, is that it isn't all that big or "touristy". It might be the one port where you wouldn't have luck trying to book once off the ship.

I've gone with Misty Bay Lodge in ISP for a fantastic whale watch (and following bear search) in the past, and have booked with them again this May 22nd for another whale watch. Very comfortable 6 passenger boat - covered aft area if you wish to be outside for picture taking, a small bathroom on board, and a 'crows nest' with a padded bench seat to climb up top of the board for even better viewing. Amazing Captain Dan really found us the whales. We were so fortunate to see numerous instances of breaching, bubblenet feeding, and of course, countless tails and humps. Not something you can book upon arrival, however - you really need to book ahead of time - they do two whale watch excursions per day - one in the AM and one in the PM. Google 'Misty Bay Lodge' and take a look at their website with all the whale watching and bear viewing options they offer.

Seconded. This was one of the best private tours I've ever done. As mentioned, he only takes 6 people max and that boat having the upper deck gave it an advantage over the others. Also, Dan and his lovely wife being veterans was a draw for me.