Civitavecchia ( Rome ) to Tivoli Transportation

realnice46

We will be docking on Sunday May 11 in Civitavecchia. We would like to go to Villa D' Este & Tivoli on our own.

How would we do this with public transportation and would there be a problem as we will be there on a Sunday.

While Tivoli is a wonderful day trip from Rome itself (and both places are open on Sunday), there's no easy way to get there from Civitavecchia using public transportation.

You would need to take the train into Rome first (about an hour), before setting out toward Tivoli.

[Deleted because eurocruiser's directions below are more precise and up to date than mine!]

As you can see, it's a lot of logistics for a one-day port visit, and I wouldn't chance it. A friend and I did the trip from Rome (not Civitavecchia) and it took us a full day.

If you wanted to rent a car or arrange for a private tour, the drive from Civitavecchia to Tivoli alone is about 90 minutes.

Edited by cruisemom42

It can be done by train but there's only one route/timing that will work, so if you miss the train in the morning you'll be out of luck.

You didn't say what your port time is so even this one possibility may not work, but here it is.

There is an IC train from Civitavecchia at 7:50 AM, arriving at Termini at 8:45, followed by a regional train to Tivoli departing at 8:57. There's almost no room for error in this connection, and if you miss it the next train to Tivoli isn't until 10:33 and it leaves from Tiburtina, so you'd need to take either a local train or the metro from Termini to Tiburtina to catch it.

If you make both trains you'll be at Tivoli at 10 AM. The train station is three-quarters of a mile from the entrance of Villa d'Este.

Returns by train are even more difficult as ALL require three trains, Tivoli to Tiburtina, Tiburtina to Termini, and Termini to Civitavecchia.

Without knowing what your on-board time is, I'll take a stab and assume you need to be back on board by 6:30 PM. The train routing from Tivoli that would get you there means leaving Tivoli 3:09 PM, arriving Tiburtina at 4 PM, running downstairs to grab the metro to Termini in order to get the 4:12 train to Civitavecchia, arriving at 5:17 PM. There is a backup if you don't make the tight connection at Termini, the 4:42 arrives at 6:04 PM, still enough time to get back to your ship by 6:30.

Now that I've laid it all out you can see that there is a lot of room for error and very little in the way of fall back options. Assuming 30 minutes of walking to and from the station in Tivoli and you'd be going through all of this for a four hour visit to the gardens.

If you decide to go for it and you don't make the connection in Rome in the morning, the best fall back plan is to simply stay in Rome for the day and forget trying to get to Tivoli.

Even better would be to rent a car and drive yourself, or to pay for a car service.

Driving or hiring a car and driver are the only reasonable options. Here is a map with driving directions. It would not be difficult.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Civitavecchia,+Rome,+Italy&daddr=Tivoli,+Rome,+Italy&hl=en&sll=44.004261,-62.918551&sspn=9.243121,21.51123&geocode=FYhHggId1fuzACnltuRfrqQoEzGyf9IdcKqyUQ%3BFYlBgAIdsljDACnP9opAYXgvEzFHf7S4mkkD_A&oq=tivoli&mra=ls&t=m&z=10

We went a few days ago from Rome before our cruise started. We hired a car and driver from driverinrome and had a wonderful day. I think there were six of us so it was quite reasonable. We stopped at Hadrian' Villa and at another old village as well.

It can be done by train but there's only one route/timing that will work, so if you miss the train in the morning you'll be out of luck.

You didn't say what your port time is so even this one possibility may not work, but here it is.

There is an IC train from Civitavecchia at 7:50 AM, arriving at Termini at 8:45, followed by a regional train to Tivoli departing at 8:57. There's almost no room for error in this connection, and if you miss it the next train to Tivoli isn't until 10:33 and it leaves from Tiburtina, so you'd need to take either a local train or the metro from Termini to Tiburtina to catch it.

If you make both trains you'll be at Tivoli at 10 AM. The train station is three-quarters of a mile from the entrance of Villa d'Este.

Returns by train are even more difficult as ALL require three trains, Tivoli to Tiburtina, Tiburtina to Termini, and Termini to Civitavecchia.

Without knowing what your on-board time is, I'll take a stab and assume you need to be back on board by 6:30 PM. The train routing from Tivoli that would get you there means leaving Tivoli 3:09 PM, arriving Tiburtina at 4 PM, running downstairs to grab the metro to Termini in order to get the 4:12 train to Civitavecchia, arriving at 5:17 PM. There is a backup if you don't make the tight connection at Termini, the 4:42 arrives at 6:04 PM, still enough time to get back to your ship by 6:30.

Now that I've laid it all out you can see that there is a lot of room for error and very little in the way of fall back options. Assuming 30 minutes of walking to and from the station in Tivoli and you'd be going through all of this for a four hour visit to the gardens.

If you decide to go for it and you don't make the connection in Rome in the morning, the best fall back plan is to simply stay in Rome for the day and forget trying to get to Tivoli.

Even better would be to rent a car and drive yourself, or to pay for a car service.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We agree that renting a car is the easiest way to get to Tivoli, especially when you consider that one of the two,major attractions, Hadrians Villa, is located a few miles outside of town. But renting a car on Sunday is always a hassle. The local Hertz office (the most convenient rental location) is sometimes open on Sunday mornings, but it is best to check directly with that location. The driving route doe totally avoid Rome, although you do need to go around Rome on the ring road.

Hank

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We arrive in port at 7 AM and depart 7 PM.

Thanks everyone for information. It doesn't look like we would be able to do this on this trip. I would do rental car but as was said not a good idea on a Sunday.

Would consider sharing a shore excursion but most people on our cruise are doing Rome and we have been there 4 times.

• 1 year later...

I am bringing this to the front of the thread again because we were considering doing Tivoli on our own but as the OP stated, doing it via train requires precise timing in order to get back to the ship on time.

Thanks to euro cruiser for this in depth assessment of Tivoli DIY.