Amsterdam Restaurants

Can anyone recommend a restaurant where the locals go to get good Dutch food in Amsterdam?

I have Rick Steve's recommendations - has anyone selected any restaurants in Amsterdam from his books? If so how were the restaurants.

What are your favorite restaurants in Amsterdam?

Thanks,

Marion

As strange as this may sound, there are just a few restaurants with ""dutch"" food. Actually the dutch eat very international.

But have a look at one of these:

Restaurant De Roode Leeuw Damrak 93-94 Amsterdam

Restaurant Spelt Nieuwe Spiegelstraat 5A

Proeverij 274 Prinsengracht 274 Amsterdam

Moeders

Rozengracht 251

I am sure if you google them you will find reviews.

Also remember Indonesia used to be a dutch colony, there fore you will find some good restaurants serving an indonesian rijsttafel.

Bij ons Prinsengracht 287 Amsterdam

Thanks Ine for the recommendations. We might just stick to Dutch Pancakes for our Dutch gourmet food tasting. LOL

Marion

Good plan ..they are yummy

We did not eat here but on the 5th floor of de Bijenkorf (dept store) on the Damtrack there is a cafeteria style restaurant

The food looked & smelled so good

worth having a look

We were with friends who are not very adventurous ;)

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

Thanks Lyn. I have been doing some ease arch and had that restaurant on my list to check out if were near the store during meal time. So much to do, so little time

Marion

Enjoy

Lyn

Don't ask me the name of the place, but we had one of the best hamburgers ever in Amsterdam!:D

Truly is international. We had a very good appetizer plate at our hotel which included some of the local fare.

Not Dutch food but our favourite midday eatery is on the Singel, they also have another on the Leidsestraat. It's an English style cafe / restaurant with fabulous Dutch Apple pie and afternoon cream teas. For some reason the board will not let me name it? It consists of one word made from the colour Green and the plural for Wood.

We do not go looking for English restaurants and really love the various Argentinian / Brazilian / Uruguayan Steak Houses and as Ine mentioned the Indonesian food is excellent.

Edited by roysmith99

Not Dutch food but our favourite midday eatery is on the Singel, they also have another on the Leidsestraat. It's an English style cafe / restaurant with fabulous Dutch Apple pie and afternoon cream teas. For some reason the board will not let me name it? It consists of one word made from the colour Green and the plural for Wood.

We do not go looking for English restaurants and really love the various Argentinian / Brazilian / Uruguayan Steak Houses and as Ine mentioned the Indonesian food is excellent.

roysmith99 thank you so much. You have made my day! I hadn't even considered there would be an english tea shoppe in Amsterdam, and now there are 2 to choose from, one for a full english and the other for a cream tea!!! You have made this British expat very happy :)

Can anyone recommend a restaurant where the locals go to get good Dutch food in Amsterdam?

I have Rick Steve's recommendations - has anyone selected any restaurants in Amsterdam from his books? If so how were the restaurants.

What are your favorite restaurants in Amsterdam?

Thanks,

Marion

Hi Marion,

I was checking on the port of Southampton for our June cruise in the Ports area of Cruise Critic and recognized your name from our Asia roll call. I don't know if it is in the book you mentioned, but we have a very favorite restaurant in Amsterdam -- Haeje Claes. Excellent food, reasonable prices. Here's some contact info:

Address: Spuistraat 273, Centrum, Amsterdam, 1012VR

Phone: 020/624-9998

Carol

Thanks Carol - You are quite the traveler and I look forward to meeting you next year on Millie. I appreciate your wisdom!

I will put Haeje Claes on our list of places to find in our travels around the city. I have our 4 day Amsterdam schedule pretty packed so lets see how many things on my list we can fit in. I know what will happen - we will find many quaint streets with little shops and markets..... I can get lost for hours and wonder where the day went. Oh the treasures waiting to be found. We leave next Wednesday and I can't wait.

Are all the plans for your cruise in place?

Marion

Marion, we haven't been there in several years. We enjoyed the food and the atmosphere very much, as have friends who have been there more recently. I can picture the restaurant clearly; however, I don't recall specific foods. We often ask which dishes represent the local cuisine when we travel. Enjoy! Carol.

Thanks for your suggestions. When we are out sightseeing we completely lose track of time and end up finding a restaurant when we get hungry and take pot luck

We will see you on the Serenade next June and it will be here before we know it.

Will you spend any pre cruise time in Copenhagen?

Marion