Bermuda - To book or not to book??

This is the first time ever that we have the flexibility of a last minute booking because we don't need a flight to get to the port. We're looking at the last week of August for the 7 day Bermuda out of Boston. Is this usually a sold out ship? Should we book or wait and see if we can get a last minute deal?

You may fine that deal if you hold off to just before the cruise but the best cabins and locations will most likely be gone. If the last week of Aug that you are looking at is 22-29th the NE schools are still out on vacation.

Normally school starts up the day after labor day in the NE which is Monday, Sept 1st this year. The last week of August may be full of kids. ;) It is a gamble.

Edited by janetz

We cruise with our grandkids the 3rd week of August every summer, This year we're on the Getaway 8/23. Grandkids live in New York and school starts right after Labor Day. I would say half the US is back and the other half are not. From my experience there are always a lot of kids on board at that time. If that's an issue wait 2 more weeks and there will be quite a difference in the kiddie population. Whatever you choose to do have a wonderful cruise

Really?! The weeks that I have been following in May 2014 have done nothing but climb after final payment date.

It will not sell out. Prices will drop dramatically 60 days out and if still not sold, drop again at 30 days. Look at the May/ June pricing to see. Has dropped a lot past few weeks,

For the past three years, there have not been great deals for the last full week in August. The last minute fares for a BX balcony have been $1299, $1249, and $999 for 2013, 2012, and 2011 respectively. If you're looking for good last minute fares, October is your month.

We're looking at the last week of August for the 7 day Bermuda out of Boston. Is this usually a sold out ship? Should we book or wait and see if we can get a last minute deal?

Really?! The weeks that I have been following in May 2014 have done nothing but climb after final payment date.

Late Feb., early March prices for inside sailing in mid-May on Breakaway was $839 pp. Prices have dropped to $500 pp for inside and $829 mini-suites, $679 balcony.

Not sure what you are watching but almost every category and every May sailing on Breakaway has dropped dramatically over the past 6 weeks. First a little and then a lot last week. It is not filling up as expected. They are also coming down ( although not as dramatically) for end of June which is a week most schools are already let out. That to me indicates, we'll see breakaway drop further for summer cruises and fall cruises.

Last week of August is always a somewhat discounted sailing ( compared to rest of the summer) because it is hurricane season and because many kids are back in school. I think you'll see prices come down.

And, yes, of course, October will be even cheaper.

Booked Bermuda for mid-May for a great price, but now I'm wondering whether I should have headed to the Caribbean instead. Looks like the temps in Bermuda aren't that warm in May. I'm not sure how that affects beach and water excursions.