Need Advice...Travel Insurance

Linzibug

We recently found out that my mom has a terminal illness. We have planned an Alaska cruise for her in August. I think we should get travel insurance in case her health declines faster than expected. The doctor said she should be fine, but just in case. We're not terribly concerned with the benefits you get during the cruise, rather we want to be covered in case we can't take the cruise. The Cancel for any Reason policies are about $500 for our group which seems pretty steep. Does that sound right? What would you do.

Thank you so much!

We recently found out that my mom has a terminal illness. We have planned an Alaska cruise for her in August. I think we should get travel insurance in case her health declines faster than expected. The doctor said she should be fine, but just in case. We're not terribly concerned with the benefits you get during the cruise, rather we want to be covered in case we can't take the cruise. The Cancel for any Reason policies are about $500 for our group which seems pretty steep. Does that sound right? What would you do.

Thank you so much!

Check

http://www.myinsure.com

Also https://www.squaremouth.com/ or http://tripinsurancestore.com/.

They all will search out policies based on whatever parameters you put in, and give you several choices.

We've also called and spoke to a representative at insure my trip on the phone. They're quite helpful and knowledgeable.

Thank you so much!

If you haven't yet booked the trip you should be able to get a third party insurance that covers pre-existing conditions if you pay the premium within 14 days of booking. Don't buy from cruise line but instead check with insuremytrip or one of the other insurance broker sites mentioned.

If you haven't yet booked the trip you should be able to get a third party insurance that covers pre-existing conditions if you pay the premium within 14 days of booking. Don't buy from cruise line but instead check with insuremytrip or one of the other insurance broker sites mentioned.

Exactly what I was going to say. You don't need to worry about having "cancel for any reason" coverage for this (you might need it for something else, but not for this). As long as you purchase the policy within the specified period after making the initial payment then any pre-existing medical conditions will be covered as long as the passenger was fit to travel at the time the insurance was purchased.

You don't say how big your group is so it's hard to say if $500 is a good price or not. The guideline that I've read is that your travel insurance should not cost more than 10% of your covered trip costs (so if your non-reimbursable fare if $5000 than you don't want to pay more than $500 unless you need extra coverage, such as cancel for any reason).

Sorry to hear about your mom.