Thinking of a TA from Portsmouth to Miami - Question about Euro travel

sdmike

wold is rolling hills. And the Cotswolds are sheep enclosures in the rolling hills.

JB :)

Hmmn....maybe. It's a popular derivation, especially among tour guides who can segue into their sheep spiel, but the alternative one, is that Cod (or Cot) was a Saxon landowner above the Windrush valley. The name Cotswold was originally limited to that area.

Here's another interesting one. Moreton-in-Marsh (note, no 'the') is a fairly modern corruption of Moreton Henmarsh.

Other common Anglo-Saxon words include

chester, the site of a Roman fort. Chester, Colchester, Cirencester, Winchester, Dorchester, Manchester etc.

At the risk of hijacking a perfectly good thread, I would just add that the suffix 'chester' should also include 'caster' and 'cester'. Doncaster, Lancaster, Gloucester, Worcester, etc.

The forts were not all Roman - I believe any fort, and there were a great many of them, would do.

To get back to the OP:

http://www.amsterdam.info/travel/paris-to-amsterdam/

As others have said it is the luggage that can be difficult by train especially if you will be on a cruise afterwards. At some point you will need to do laundry so plan that into your timing. I don't know if Norwegian ships have laundromat facilities. We have done train trips in Europe with just carry-on luggage. Perhaps you could leave any checked bags in your hotel in Amsterdam and do a loop. Other than that maybe just stick to Amsterdam for several days followed by Paris for several days then take Eurostar to London.If you do Eurostar book as early as you can --the Seat61 website has great hints for this. London to Southampton has lots of options. http://www.londontoolkit.com

Edited by Alaskanb

Belgium - great choice of beers

England - great choice of beers

There's a couple of hints for you!;)

Exactly why we went to London then Belgium last fall. Highly recommend visiting the WWI sites around Ypres as well as Ghent (my favorite stop) and Bruges. Really want to go back to Belgium - wonderful, welcoming people, great food, architecture and oh yes, beer!!!