Thinking of a TA from Portsmouth to Miami - Question about Euro travel

sdmike

Guys - I "jokingly" sent my wife an email suggesting that we leave the kids with grandma for 3 weeks (actually, grandma would live at our house for 3 weeks) and we would go to Europe then on the Escape TA. Shockingly, she said "we need to make this happen".

I'd like to get your views on how we might approach this. My wife has never been to Europe, and I've only been to the Netherlands and the London area.

I was thinking we would fly into somewhere like Amsterdam to start our trip, but I'm flexible as to the destination. We could spend a few days there seeing the area, probably renting a car to see some areas outside of the city. I would then want to travel down to Rotterdam, and maybe Brussels, and finally to Paris for a couple of days. Then, from Paris, go up through the tunnel under the channel on on to London for another few days before boarding the ship down in Portsmouth.

I have heard how efficient and enjoyable the European rail system is, so I'm wondering if we could do this via rail without needing to rent a car anywhere. We could take taxis within the cities (or maybe rent a car where staying a few days), but I'd love to be able to do most of the trip via rail. Is this possible? Any suggestions on where to start and what routes to take (in general, not specific)? For example, if it's easier to start in Paris then circle up through Amsterdam then back down to the crossing.

Also, what would be the best way to get from London down to Portsmouth? Is there a train for that as well?

This is all just early planning, but I know many of you here on CC are very "worldly" and might have some input

Thanks!

Hahahaha! I had this exact conversation with my husband last October!!!

And now it is only 70 days till I leave our three boys with my mother and fly to Europe to join my husband (already there on business) for our first cruise and two weeks of kid-free fun and activities!

In terms of what you do and where you go, thats a very personal choice. I'd advise grabbing some brochures from a travel agent for inspiration, delve deeper via TripAdvisor, read other peoples travel blogs and imagine!

We are flying to Venice and joining a cruise then we are having two nights in Venice, two nights in Paris and one night in London. Unfortunately we can't squeeze out any more time. :(

If you have never been to Europe then I would highly recommend a Mediterranean cruise. MSC has some awesome prices though its port stops are short. I was just looking at Holland America today and their itineraries are fabulous and the port stops are very generous. They are a bit more pricy though.

I have a degree in Classical Studies so going somewhere that we could see the things I studied was essential. We are also very keen foodies, history buffs and my husband loves to cycle. So we are doing a walking food tour of Venice the day we disembark from the cruise. We are also doing a bike tour of Paris and then the next day we are doing a bike tour of Versailles which comes with a guide for the Palace and also a visit to a local farmers market to get food for a picnic in the beautiful palace grounds. In London we have another walking food tour - this time of the east end (think fish & chips, curries and bread & butter pudding!) and a bike tour of the main highlights of London.

If you book early, flights within Europe can be quite cheap though the train can sometimes save you time. We are getting from London from Paris on the Eurostar which will save us time rather than flying.

Have fun with the planning. Its a very satisfying and exciting part of the trip! :D

Guys - I "jokingly" sent my wife an email suggesting that we leave the kids with grandma for 3 weeks (actually, grandma would live at our house for 3 weeks) and we would go to Europe then on the Escape TA. Shockingly, she said "we need to make this happen".

I'd like to get your views on how we might approach this. My wife has never been to Europe, and I've only been to the Netherlands and the London area.

I was thinking we would fly into somewhere like Amsterdam to start our trip, but I'm flexible as to the destination. We could spend a few days there seeing the area, probably renting a car to see some areas outside of the city. I would then want to travel down to Rotterdam, and maybe Brussels, and finally to Paris for a couple of days. Then, from Paris, go up through the tunnel under the channel on on to London for another few days before boarding the ship down in Portsmouth.

I have heard how efficient and enjoyable the European rail system is, so I'm wondering if we could do this via rail without needing to rent a car anywhere. We could take taxis within the cities (or maybe rent a car where staying a few days), but I'd love to be able to do most of the trip via rail. Is this possible? Any suggestions on where to start and what routes to take (in general, not specific)? For example, if it's easier to start in Paris then circle up through Amsterdam then back down to the crossing.

Most of the rail you've described is pretty straightforward. From London to Portsmouth, the two options are out of London Waterloo (2x/hour) and from London Victoria (1x/hour). The former are also slightly faster

Starting in Amsterdam makes sense for all of this, and yes, it can all be done on rail w/o a car

AMS Airport -> Amsterdam Centraal

Amsterdam Centraal -> Rotterdam -> Brussels -> Paris

Paris -> London/St Pancras

London/Waterloo -> Portsmouth

The ship you mention is "Escape", but the ship sailing out of Portsmouth may not be the ship you had in mind (Norwegian Escape? She's way too big for Portsmouth.)

Thomson's Island Escape sails out of Portsmouth , and may not be the right ship for you. She's an old lady, built 1982 originally as a large Baltic ferry, now operated by Thomson for free-style cruising though retaining her Island Cruises branding. . She's a budget ship & her passengers will be 95% Brits.

Can I suggest you go through plenty of reviews before committing.

Or are you thinking of a T/A on Norwegian Escape's maiden voyage from Southampton ?

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

The ship you mention is "Escape", but the ship sailing out of Portsmouth may not be the ship you had in mind (Norwegian Escape?)

Thomson's Island Escape sails out of Portsmouth , and may not be the right ship for you. She's an old lady, built 1982 originally as a large Baltic ferry, now operated by Thomson for free-style cruising though retaining her Island Cruises branding. . She's a budget ship & her passengers will be 95% Brits.

I believe the OP is talking about the Norwegian Escape that will due a T/A from South Hampton to Miami.

Starting in Amsterdam makes sense for all of this, and yes, it can all be done on rail w/o a car
And if you don't travel between the places in a car, you won't have issues with a one-way rental. I think this makes a lot of sense.

As usual, I simply worry that three weeks is not enough time to see all the bits of Europe that you're interested in, each of which is worth many days, and then do a trans-Atlantic cruise as well.

Or are you thinking of a T/A on Norwegian Escape's maiden voyage from Southampton?
I believe the OP is talking about the Norwegian Escape that will due a T/A from South Hampton to Miami.
So will Norwegian Escape be sailing from Southampton or South Hampton? And if South Hampton, which one (New Hampshire or Virginia)? ;)

Seriously, though, it may help the OP to use the correct spelling if/when it comes time to do any searching about Southampton.

Let me put it this way: this summer, I'm taking a trip that starts in Warsaw (FF miles), passing by Prague, Vienna and Salzburg and eventually going as far as Tuscany, and the only place I'm renting a car is Florence to get to my agriturismo vacation rental (and, in a pinch, I could get there by bus). Except for the Tuscany part, all by train.

You need to read this site thoroughly: http://www.seat61.com/. Absolutely brilliant info. As said, the trip you're planning is pretty easy to do by train. Look at each countries' train site; and to look up timetables for cross-border trips, look at the German site: http://www.bahn.com/i/view/index.shtml

Seriously, though, it may help the OP to use the correct spelling if/when it comes time to do any searching about Southampton.

Even though I'm local to Southampton, I've given up trying to correct my American cousins' spelling of it on Cruise Critic. ;)

But I do draw the line when it's spelt P-o-r-t-s-m-o-u-t-h.

And anyone one aware of the local rivalry will know why :D

I was thinking we would fly into somewhere like Amsterdam to start our trip, but I'm flexible as to the destination.

Let me echo what everyone is saying about reading before you make a single decision. Each of you should make a wish list of destinations and then see how much overlap you share.

Obviously, you can do lots of research online. For example, Trip Advisor include ready-made itineraries for set number of days like "Three Days in Paris" linked below. However, I recommend you buy some travel books with lots of pictures like the DK series. I find it easier to prioritize my plans when I can see what I'm considering. I've included a link to the DK Paris guide below.

The following may affect your final list:

o your/your wife's major in college.

o your hobbies

o your ethnic background

o you interest in food and wine

o topics you'd like to know more about

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Guide-g187147-l496-Paris_Ile_de_France.html

http://www.amazon.com/DK-Eyewitness-Travel-Guide-Paris/dp/1465400508/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398699350&sr=8-1&keywords=DK+Paris

I recommend you don't overload your three-week trip with too many hotel changes and too many trips between destinations. Those two activities have a way of eating up a lot of time. After the trip, I think you'll be happier if you see fewer destinations in a more satisfying way than if you change locations too much.

As for the inevitable question: How much is too much? Don't hesitate to come back to this site often and post follow up questions. Most of us love to think about travel and talk about travel whenever we aren't actually traveling.

So will Norwegian Escape be sailing from Southampton or South Hampton? And if South Hampton, which one (New Hampshire or Virginia)? ;)

The county in Virginia is spelled Southampton.;) Just like the the town in New York State and the one in New Jersey and the one in Massachusetts... and the one in Bermuda... and the one in England.

But not the one in New Hampshire--or should that be Newhampshire?:D

Any one who remembers the movie "if it's Tuesday it must be Belgium" will tell you you have over packed this short trip. Europe IMHO is not a seven course meal but three courses to be savor one at a time. Half of the trip you are thinking of will be spent traveling.

Think of returning many times (about 50) for us. Pick several places and spend several days. We have now been to London 36 times and have never spent less than a week. We will return in the fall for 6 weeks.

Try to make this the first of many trips. Good luck!

The ship you mention is "Escape", but the ship sailing out of Portsmouth may not be the ship you had in mind (Norwegian Escape? She's way too big for Portsmouth.)

Or are you thinking of a T/A on Norwegian Escape's maiden voyage from Southampton ?

John - My bad. It's the Norwegian Escape leaving from Southampton. You're correct. It was late when I posted my message. :)

Does this change the answer?

Thanks for the info, everyone. Sorry for the mistake on the departure location. :)

I totally get the risk of trying to do and see too much, so we will be careful with that. Thanks also for the planning websites. That will help a great deal. It's certainly great news that we can do this on the rails without much difficulty. Now the question will be where we spend our time. :)

Thanks again to everyone who responded, including those in Portsmouth, Southampton and South Hampton. :D

As mentioned before, the planning can be as much fun as the trip. I do agree though about trying to do too much.

My suggestion would be to pick three cities. Amsterdam is a good start because it has an excellent international airport (much better than Charles de Gaulle) and is a great city in its own right. Paris surely has to be another for a lady who has never been to Europe, and possibly London on your way to Southampton.

As for transport, the only problem with rail, is your luggage. For such a long trip, you (or rather Mrs Mike) will likely have a good deal of it, and it all has to be carted from one place to another.

As for London to Southampton, there are many many threads about that as you might imagine. Private car, train and bus are all perfectly viable options. Some people like to take a detour on the way and visit Stonehenge and Salisbury Cathedral, although you may well be overloaded on ancient monuments and cathedrals by then:)

Keep coming back as your plans develop - there is so much knowledge and expertise on this site.

Edited by Bob++

Thanks for the info, everyone. Sorry for the mistake on the departure location. :)

I totally get the risk of trying to do and see too much, so we will be careful with that. Thanks also for the planning websites. That will help a great deal. It's certainly great news that we can do this on the rails without much difficulty. Now the question will be where we spend our time. :)

Thanks again to everyone who responded, including those in Portsmouth, Southampton and South Hampton. :D

Belgium - great choice of beers

England - great choice of beers

There's a couple of hints for you!;)

Belgium - great choice of beers

England - great choice of beers

There's a couple of hints for you!;)

Clearly we have met before. lol!

Gotta hit some traditional pubs in London and drink ale on cask. Maybe find a couple of brewing Abbey's in Belgium to hang out near for a few days. :)

Edited by sdmike

Clearly we have met before. lol!

Gotta hit some traditional pubs in London and drink ale on cask. Maybe find a couple of brewing Abbey's in Belgium to hang out near for a few days. :)

When you want some decent pub recommendations in London I can share my in-depth research:D - no problem!

This being a nautical forum, I have to confess that I was thinking about South Hampton Roads in Virginia.

Whoops! When you visit Virginia, don't call the Hampton Roads area "South Hampton Roads." That's not the name the residents use. That's not the name the state of Virginia uses. Even Wikipedia can't agree. The article about the History of Hampton Roads doesn't use the word "south" when naming the area.

Sure you'll pull up some promising hits if you search for the phrase "South Hampton Roads" but these are generally sites where the "S" in the word "south" is grammatically wrong to be capitalized. Read the articles and its clear the sentence is speaking about specific towns or businesses within the southern end of the Hampton Roads Metropolitan District.

I'll agree completely that the US, especially the East Coast, is dotted with place names that are taken from the English originals. Certainly the counties and cities that comprise the Hampton Roads region is a quilt of English place names and King's names: James City, Isle of Wight, Southampton, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Suffolk, York, and more. With that pedigree, it's likely that the English Southampton is the colonial source for the name, but today the name is Hampton.

Here are links to two more official web sites than Wikipedia: a state of VA site and a US Navy site.

http://www.virginia.org/regions/hamptonroads/

http://www.norfolknavyhomes.com/communityinfohamptonroads.asp

Whoops! When you visit Virginia, don't call the Hampton Roads area "South Hampton Roads." That's not the name the residents use. That's not the name the state of Virginia uses. Even Wikipedia can't agree. The article about the History of Hampton Roads doesn't use the word "south" when naming the area.

Sure you'll pull up some promising hits if you search for the phrase "South Hampton Roads" but these are generally sites where the "S" in the word "south" is grammatically wrong to be capitalized. Read the articles and its clear the sentence is speaking about specific towns or businesses within the southern end of the Hampton Roads Metropolitan District.

I'll agree completely that the US, especially the East Coast, is dotted with place names that are taken from the English originals. Certainly the counties and cities that comprise the Hampton Roads region is a quilt of English place names and King's names: James City, Isle of Wight, Southampton, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Suffolk, York, and more. With that pedigree, it's likely that the English Southampton is the colonial source for the name, but today the name is Hampton.

Here are links to two more official web sites than Wikipedia: a state of VA site and a US Navy site.

http://www.virginia.org/regions/hamptonroads/

http://www.norfolknavyhomes.com/communityinfohamptonroads.asp

....... just by way of further background, way before Hampton in Virginia existed the word originated from the Anglo-Saxon words ham & tun. Ham was generally the word for village, tun the word for an enclosure. So Southampton was Hamtun (also called Hamwic in some contexts). South was added in Norman times, not because it's in the south of England but to differentiate it from villages to the north, east & west, though I don't know of any surviving local settlements called Northampton, Easthampton or Westhampton. There's a Northampton in England, and a Wolverhampton, & doubtless a few other ----hamptons, plus stacks of ----hams & ----tuns/tons. So although Hampton is certainly derived from an English town, Southampton is only one of a number of potential sources.

Other common Anglo-Saxon words include

chester, the site of a Roman fort. Chester, Colchester, Cirencester, Winchester, Dorchester, Manchester etc.

bourne, a stream. Eastbourne, Bournemouth, Bourneville. And a stream that only flows in the winter is a winterbourne. So the Dorset village of Winterbourne Abbas is a village by a winter stream with an abbey, Winterbourne Regis was the home of a local chief ("king") by a winter stream.

wold is rolling hills. Stow on the Wold is a meeting place (probably by a church or monastery) in the rolling hills. And the Cotswolds are sheep enclosures in the rolling hills.

combe/comb/coombe is a narrow valley. Lots of them in the West Country, Ilfracome, Combe Martin (both pronounced ...oom) Babbacombe, Salcombe, Widecombe (all pronounced ...um.)

(Huh? How come a narrow valley is called Widecombe? Not "wide" as in broad, but a corruption of the word widdy, a clump of trees. So it's a clump of trees in a narrow valley & pronounced Widdy-cum, not Wide-cum)

One city name that always makes me wince when a North American cousin pronounces it is Plymouth. It's so-named because it's at the mouth of the River Plym - rhymes with slim. So it's pronounced the same as dim, not the same as dime.

Origins of words, names & phrases fascinate me.

Or had you already noticed? ;)

Edited by John Bull

I agree that many place names in Virginia have English origins. These are mainly in the area east of the fall line of the main rivers that were settled by the British in Colonial times.

I would caution you to consult a map before your visit to Virginia so you will have the correct names for the locations you might want to visit.

i.e. We are staying in London before our cruise from Harwich. If I want to take the train I would need to ask for the Liverpool Street station--not Liverpool station.

Hampton Roads is the region made up of several counties that surround the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay. If you add the term "south" I guess you would mean the area south of the bay. I have never heard it called that.

I suspect anyone you say this to would think you mean Southampton. A county that is some distance inland.

combe/comb/coombe is a narrow valley. Lots of them in the West Country, Ilfracome, Combe Martin (both pronounced ...oom) Babbacombe, Salcombe, Widecombe (all pronounced ...um.)

You missed the big one, "High Wycombe"

You missed the big one, "High Wycombe"

Having chastised my North American cousins about pronunciation of Plymouth, I though I'd best avoid mentioning High Wycombe. ;)

A narrow valley/ravine by the River Wye.

Except the River Wye is pronounced like pie or sky, and Wycombe is pronounced like wick or tick.

No wonder they get confused :rolleyes: