NCL Flagship

miataman19

Just putting this out there and maybe NCL could consider it. Name one of the upcoming new-builds The Norway. IMHO this would be a fitting tribute to a great ship and provide a Flagship for the line. Thought's and prayer's to the crew and their families lost in the boiler explosion. Opinion's?

Isn't there a negative superstition about naming a ship after a previous ship?

Not that I'm aware of. Even if that's the case, it's quite common for both civilian and military vessels to reuse names over time. NCL has had three different Sunwards (their first ship in 1966, ex-Cunard Adventurer in 1977, and ex-Royal Viking Sky in 1992), so I don't see why they'd be hesitant to reuse names now.

I'm personally against re-using the Norway name. She single handedly brought about a paradigm shift for passenger cruising and the birth of the megaship. Ships like that don't come around very often. They are special and unique in ways that the vast majority are not. Norway left a legacy that will probably never be matched in cruising. As lovely and innovative as the Breakaway and Escape Classes are, they are ultimately evolutionary rather than revolutionary. They bring some interesting new concepts to the industry, but they are not game changers. I do not believe that they are worthy of the name.

NO!

The s.s. Norway had an already rich history as the s.s. France, she was innovative in her build as they used modern 'metals' instead of inlaid woods for her public art. She was a 'real' cruise ship, not "a floating bathtub" to quote her last captain.

As innovative as the EPIC, Breakaway, Getaway and Escape are, they are no where near anything to what the Norway was, I would think it be an insult should the next build bear her name.

Isn't there a negative superstition about naming a ship after a previous ship?

I suppose if you added one of the "Cunard Numerals", then it would negate the need for the garlic, cross, or silver bullets. ;)

Upon further reflection (and a subsequent search of my friend Mr. Google), I realize that my poor addled brain was thinking of a different boat naming supersition:

"Renaming a boat is, of course, not something to be done lightly. Since the beginning of time, sailors have sworn that there are unlucky ships and the unluckiest ships of all are those who have defied the gods and changed their names." quoted without permission but with no harm intended from boatsafe dot com

My apologies for my error...please resume your discussion on the merits of the OP's suggestion.

Upon further reflection (and a subsequent search of my friend Mr. Google), I realize that my poor addled brain was thinking of a different boat naming supersition:

"Renaming a boat is, of course, not something to be done lightly. Since the beginning of time, sailors have sworn that there are unlucky ships and the unluckiest ships of all are those who have defied the gods and changed their names." quoted without permission but with no harm intended from boatsafe dot com

My apologies for my error...please resume your discussion on the merits of the OP's suggestion.

Reminds me of the Mary Celeste which certainly was an unlucky ship.

"The Mary Celeste was a 107 foot-long brigantine vessel with a 26 foot-long beam. She was originally built in 1861 and named the Amazon, which was her name until 1867 when she ran aground off the coast of Nova Scotia. Salvaged and repaired in 1868, she was renamed the Mary Celeste by her new owners."

http://sometimes-interesting.com/2011/06/30/what-happened-to-the-mary-celeste/

Mary Celeste (or Marie Celeste as it is fictionally referred to by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and others after him) was a British merchant brigantine. The ship is famous for having been discovered on 5th December 1872 in the Atlantic Ocean, unmanned and apparently abandoned (the one lifeboat was missing, along with its crew of seven and 2 passengers), although the weather was fine and her crew were experienced and capable seamen.

Mary Celeste was in seaworthy condition and still under sail heading toward the Strait of Gibraltar. She had been at sea for a month and had more than six months' worth of food and water on board. Her cargo was virtually untouched and the crew's personal belongings including valuables were still in place. None of those on board were ever seen or heard from again and their disappearance is often cited as the greatest maritime mystery of all time.

The question of why the crew left Mary Celeste has been the subject of much speculation. Hypotheses include alcohol fumes, underwater earthquakes, waterspouts to human actions (piracy, mutiny, errors of judgement, nerve gas).

Mary Celeste, with a history of misfortune, was said to be "cursed" even before she was discovered derelict with no apparent explanation, a classic ghost ship. In 1885, Mary Celeste was destroyed when her last owner intentionally wrecked her off the coast of Haiti in an attempt to commit insurance fraud.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Celeste

So IMO opinion renaming a new ship "Norway" might not be the best idea.

And after seeing the Norway in the harbor at St. Thomas years ago, I cannot image her with hull art and water slides.

I agree with other posters on this thread being against naming a new-build "Norway". We sailed on her twice and there is no other ship NCL could build that could even come close. She was a special ship. Sure that those who sailed on her as the SS Norway (and as the SS France previously) will understand.

13 sailings on that glorious vessel. If not a ship than what can they do?. NCL should do something to honor her. I'll stumble on photos of her being salvaged and it makes me sad :(

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Getaway has a small display near the library and card room that talks about NCL's earlier years. There's some photos and info about Norway too. I think that small level of recognition is appropriate. I don't think resting upon one's laurels is good in this rapidly changing industry. Never forget, but don't get bogged down by it either. The best thing NCL can do to honor her legacy is to refrain from applying it cheaply to inferior products.

Norway is still somewhat of an embarrassment for NCL. It was completely avoidable negligence on their part that led to so many unnecessary deaths. The way they handled her sale and the issues surrounding her dismantlement were also distasteful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Getaway has a small display near the library and card room that talks about NCL's earlier years. There's some photos and info about Norway too. I think that small level of recognition is appropriate.

Norway is still somewhat of an embarrassment for NCL. It was completely avoidable negligence on their part that led to so many unnecessary deaths. The way they handled her sale and the issues surrounding her dismantlement were also distasteful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Reassessing my stance on the legacy of this great ship. I'm thinking that the majority of posters are correct. Small tributes to her here and there is the correct thing to do. I'll make sure I check out the display on Getaway when we sail in June. Sometimes some different points of view are a good thing. Thank you everyone who responded.

NO!

The s.s. Norway had an already rich history as the s.s. France, she was innovative in her build as they used modern 'metals' instead of inlaid woods for her public art. She was a 'real' cruise ship, not "a floating bathtub" to quote her last captain.

As innovative as the EPIC, Breakaway, Getaway and Escape are, they are no where near anything to what the Norway was, I would think it be an insult should the next build bear her name.

She was actually an ocean liner and that is why I believe she was such a grand lady.