Valor Southern Caribbean Review April 20th - Just got home :(

oregonjuli

Carnival Valor

We just got home from our Carnival Valor Southern Caribbean cruise last night. As soon as I am not hung over from travel, I will get my review going. If you have a question in the mean time, let me know. It was fabulous!

Welcome home

glad you had a good cruise.

I was wondering if you knew what time they started boarding.

We are flying in same day and want to do a drop and run back in san juan

We did that cruise a few weeks ago. We walked into the cruise terminal at 11, but didn't get onboard until about 12.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hey Juli!

I think I've been having withdrawal symptoms all day!!

haha

I might write a short review.... if so, I will include in my signature...

What a great week!!! And the WEATHER!!! Awesome!!

:-)

When's the next trip?

haha

We did that cruise a few weeks ago. We walked into the cruise terminal at 11, but didn't get onboard until about 12.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks

That still give us lots of time in town.

We got in line to board about 10:30. We were about the first 30 people or so to enter the terminal. (You can check luggage right then). About 11 we got inside and headed up to get sign and sail card, etc... and then waited til about 12 for them to start boarding. We were onboard by 12:30. (Group 3 boarding passes). Hope this helps. You totally have plenty of time to go back in to town.

Lets start by saying The apostrophe key on my computer doesnt work, so Im not really illterate (I hope) just technologically challenged.

I dont have my photos downloaded yet, but I will get to them this week. Still unpacking and recovering.

This cruise began with an unopened letter from Carnival that sat on the counter for a week. When I finally opened it, I read I qualified for a FREE CABIN. Woo Hoo!! Who doesnt like a free cruise!! I waited for my DH to come home and excitedly showed him the letter. He wasnt quite as thrilled as I was. I began looking through the available cruises to see which one I wanted to take. We had done the Southern Caribbean 23 yrs ago on our honeymoon, and I had always wanted to do it again, but the cruise AND airfare were always too much. BUT with a free cabin, we could swing the airfare. SO, decision was made and cruise booked. I did a lot of research on Cruise critic and trip advisor, since I wasnt familiar with some of these islands.

I decided we should fly in on Saturday, and just enjoy not rushing to the terminal. We would have time to explore Old San Juan, in theory. I didnt, however, realize it was Easter Sunday. Oops! This fact did not go over well with the kids, 20, 18 and 10 that were left home with Grandma.

My DH and I are 43, and 44, and this was to be a relaxing getaway for us. We moved last August to Austin, Tx. and in October, my mom moved in with us. We definitely needed a break!!! (whole other story!)

DH was not really thrilled with the idea of this cruise, mainly because we were already booked to do Spring Break with the kids in Florida in mid March. He was concerned about taking another week off a month later, but it all worked out and he came around to like the idea.

He also isnt a huge fan of flying, and given the choice of flying out of Austin at a better time and having to change planes, or a direct non-stop flight out of Houston - he chose Houston. ugh! SO 5 am Sat. morning we headed to Houston for out flight. The Flight left around 10:30am and we arrived in San Juan 3pm. We grabbed out luggage and headed to get in the taxi line. I had chosen to stay at the Sheraton Old San Juan since it is so close to the port.

My DH and I are 43, and 44, and this was to be a relaxing getaway for us. We moved last August to Austin, Tx. and in October, my mom moved in with us. We definitely needed a break!!! (whole other story!)

DH was not really thrilled with the idea of this cruise, mainly because we were already booked to do Spring Break with the kids in Florida in mid March. He was concerned about taking another week off a month later, but it all worked out and he came around to like the idea.

He also isnt a huge fan of flying, and given the choice of flying out of Austin at a better time and having to change planes, or a direct non-stop flight out of Houston - he chose Houston. ugh! SO 5 am Sat. morning we headed to Houston for out flight. The Flight left around 10:30am and we arrived in San Juan 3pm. We grabbed out luggage and headed to get in the taxi line. I had chosen to stay at the Sheraton Old San Juan since it is so close to the port.

Your husband sounds like mine! I booked this cruise for next March and he is grumbling about it (really? complaining about a cruise?? :confused: )! He is also a terrible flyer and I booked a non-stop from Detroit, so hopefully it won't be too bad :)

Looking forward to the rest of your review!

When we arrived at the Sheraton, check in was a breeze, but out room was not ready yet. Quite a few people checked out due to the Celebrity and RCCL ships leaving port that night. We left our luggage and ventured out to see into Old San Juan. If you walk dont the waterfront away from the cruise terminal you will come to the Paseo. There were lots of booths and vendors set up to see some local artisans. Lots of locals out and about.

The hotel called about 15 min into our walk and said the room was ready, so we headed back. For some reason I didnt take pics of the hotel or room, but it was good sized. Older, but well maintained. Our room looked out into a courtyard, so not really a view. We rested and ventured back out again around 6pm or so. Senor Frogs is right across the street, so we headed in there for drinks and dinner. Food was pricey, but good. I will post pics of our lovely balloon hats. Had to make the DH wear his. After dinner, we headed to the CVS to get our bottles of wine. From there back to the hotel and to bed early, since we had a very early morning that day.

We have this cruise booked for next April so I am reading all the reviews and posts about it that I can find. Have to do something to occupy my time for the next 341 days!! (not that I'm counting or anything! LOL)

Easter Sunday

We had full intentions of going to Sunrise services. A church has a service every year at El Morro. Well, that didnt happen. We did wake around 6:30am to the sun already high in the sky. Excited to start our vacation (DH has warmed to the cruise idea, by now. might as well since we are here. ha!), we decided to walked to San Cristobal fort. It is about a 10 min walk from the hotel - uphill! As you will see from pics later, we are not great physical specimens of fitness. This was an uphill hike, huffing and puffing, but the view was amazing and a great way to celebrate Resurrection Sunday (as the locals referred to it). Everyone from the hotel bellman to people on the street called out Happy Resurrection Day! as you passed them. It was really neat.

From San Cristobal we headed west to El Morro along the upper road. We passed La Perla, but did not venture down there, and it appears they were all still sleeping. (its only about 7:00am at this point) As we got to El Morro, we saw the people leaving the Sunrise service, again more greetings called out. We didnt go into El Morro since we had been there last cruise. We turned back toward town and headed down toward the hotel area. It was still very early and everything was closed.

Back at the waterfront, we stopped in at Subway and grabbed a breakfast sandwich and shared that on a bench overlooking that water. We then headed back to the hotel. Its too early to head to the pier, so I went up to the rooftop pool and read a book and enjoyed the tropical breeze.

Around 10:30 we couldnt contain ourselves any longer and headed to the port. There are a lot of guys in red shirts that you check your luggage with them and they will do the rest. I will say it was still a bit hectic since the disembarking passengers are right there trying to get cabs and leave. (They didnt look happy, and as Karma goes, dont laugh at the pitiful looks on their faces because this will be you in a week.)

I am on the Valor in June. Can't wait to hear the details for each island.

Mucho Pictures Pleeeeease!

You might enjoy some of these sights, when you go...

I_NEq9aLVhQ

The dock in Sint Maarten

wtQl1Mj1jJI

Lido Pool area, aft.

nxG91NzItcU

Waterslide action on Valor!