Hagia Sohpia tickets on-line?

The official website for buying tickets to the Hagia Sophia has not been working for some time. Is there any other reputable place to purchase them on-line? I would really love to avoid the lines if possible. Thanks!

Oh, I see that the website is under renovation. Hopefully, it will be running soon. That is where we purchased our tickets - I know of no other venue that sells tickets online for Hagia Sophia.

Perhaps someone has information of which I am not aware.

We didn't buy tickets in advance for the Hagia Sophia or Topkapi Palace. We just turned up and paid. Didn't experience a queue.

Well that is encouraging, thanks :) I have just read so much about long lines there. I am hoping if we go there first thing we can at least minimize the time in line.

The website has been down for over a month. I also have read that the ticket machines at Hagia Sofia itself also are broken. If so, we will visit in the late afternoon to avoid the lines.

Edited by CintiPam

The website has been down for over a month. I also have read that the ticket machines at Hagia Sofia itself also are broken. If so, we will visit in the late afternoon to avoid the lines.

Thanks so much Pam! I have been able to find very little on how to get tickets other than via the broken website or joining a tour. I didn't even know they had ticket machines. I am hoping they get one or the other fixed in the next two weeks!

Thanks so much Pam! I have been able to find very little on how to get tickets other than via the broken website or joining a tour. I didn't even know they had ticket machines. I am hoping they get one or the other fixed in the next two weeks!

Me too! We arrive in Istanbul on May 19.

It certainly is taking a long time to get the website fixed. If you want a general museum pass, good for many sites, you can get that online, but the individual ticket part has been broken.

When we were there a few years ago we got to Hagia Sophia at 4pm, walked up, bought tickets and walked straight in. No queues at all. All the bus tours etc. are there early so if you avoid them there is not a problem.

Me too! We arrive in Istanbul on May 19.

It certainly is taking a long time to get the website fixed. If you want a general museum pass, good for many sites, you can get that online, but the individual ticket part has been broken.

I did consider the pass, but I do not think it would be worthwhile for us. You would think if that if that part works, it shouldn't be too hard to have the individual ticket purchase functional as well.

When we were there a few years ago we got to Hagia Sophia at 4pm, walked up, bought tickets and walked straight in. No queues at all. All the bus tours etc. are there early so if you avoid them there is not a problem.

At least there is hope :) There will be two other ships in port, one departing at 1:00 PM and one arriving at 2:00 PM. If we are lucky, there will be a window of time where the crowds subside. We are in port until 6:00, so an afternoon visit should work out fine.

That is our current plan. It will be open until 7 PM, and I know the cruise crowds tend to be far larger in the morning. By mid-afternoon, things have settled down.

Edited by CintiPam

I read this afternoon on sister website tripadvisor that the Turkish government finally had fixed its website for purchasing individual tickets for Hagia Sofia and Topkapi (both palace and harem, which have separate admissions), as well as Ephesus.

So I purchased my Hagia Sofia tickets easily this afternoon. Simply go to www.muze.gov.tr. The site takes both Visa and MasterCard and a pdf ticket arrives immediately.

I also am impressed with Capitol One MasterCard fraud unit, which contacted me within the hour regarding this minor purchase on my card from Turkey.

I read this afternoon on sister website tripadvisor that the Turkish government finally had fixed its website for purchasing individual tickets for Hagia Sofia and Topkapi (both palace and harem, which have separate admissions), as well as Ephesus.

So I purchased my Hagia Sofia tickets easily this afternoon. Simply go to www.muze.gov.tr. The site takes both Visa and MasterCard and a pdf ticket arrives immediately.

I also am impressed with Capitol One MasterCard fraud unit, which contacted me within the hour regarding this minor purchase on my card from Turkey.

Wonderful news, thanks for the update Pam :) Saw your post and had my tickets printed in minutes.

Kudos to Capital One! I have found AmEx to be right on top of things as well when purchasing airline tickets from a Greek airline. Nice to know they are paying attention :)

Have a wonderful cruise!

Well, I just tried to purchase tickets for Hagia Sofia and got this message:

We are renovating our ticket page. Please visit us again later. :(

It does appear to be possible to purchase a pass though, just not a ticket.

Wonderful news, thanks for the update Pam :) Saw your post and had my tickets printed in minutes.

Kudos to Capital One! I have found AmEx to be right on top of things as well when purchasing airline tickets from a Greek airline. Nice to know they are paying attention :)

Have a wonderful cruise!

CintiPam and SpringBreakMom - Thanks for the info on the Museum Pass website! Just a quick question before I hit the purchase button - it says you have to have an address in Turkey for the cards to be sent and doesn't let me change the country from Turkey to any other. Is this just a warning I should ignore because it is only for the 40 TL local card for Turkish residents? Just want to be sure... Thanks again!

CintiPam and SpringBreakMom - Thanks for the info on the Museum Pass website! Just a quick question before I hit the purchase button - it says you have to have an address in Turkey for the cards to be sent and doesn't let me change the country from Turkey to any other. Is this just a warning I should ignore because it is only for the 40 TL local card for Turkish residents? Just want to be sure... Thanks again!

I don't know because, having visited Istanbul previously, I only wanted tickets to Hagia Sofia, not a Museum Pass. But if you need an address, give them your hotel's address. Then promptly email your hotel and the staff there will hold it for your arrival.

Actually, I simply would purchase my Museum Pass upon my arrival at one of the less popular sites selling it or ask my hotel to purchase one for me and add it to my bill. The Mosaic Museum just east and below the Blue Mosque would be the place with the least lines. Most people are unaware of this fascinating remnant from the huge Byzantine Palace that once covered the entire Sultanahmet district.

Edited by CintiPam

After looking at the website it does appear that the Muzecart is only for Turkish residents. They list both Museum Pass and Muzecart, but I am not clear what the distinction is. If the Museum Pass is for visitors they are not clear how it is delivered. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. There is a contact email on the website. Perhaps they could provide more clarification?

After looking at the website it does appear that the Muzecart is only for Turkish residents. They list both Museum Pass and Muzecart, but I am not clear what the distinction is. If the Museum Pass is for visitors they are not clear how it is delivered. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. There is a contact email on the website. Perhaps they could provide more clarification?

Yes the Muzecart is only for Turkish Residents. We bought a Museum pass at the ticket office at Topopi Palace on our first day. We then used it to see the palace (with Harem), Hagia Sophia, and Archeological Museum. By going to 4 places we saved money over separate admissions, plus we only had to wait in line once. Our hotel was only a block from Topkopi so we got there early and the lines were not too bad.

A few days back I went to the site & purchased individual tickets for both Topkapi & Hagia Sophia, 30TL each. Obviously site is back on line.

Not obvious at all. Did you check today before you posted? Wasn't working when I just checked. The site is very inconsistent, up one day and down the next.