The Suite life.....How can anybody afford it.

jmele999

To me, it's not so much as to whether a suite is affordable (it is), but it's not a good use of funds. I usually cruise in an inside or oceanview and I can get 3-7 night cruises in one of those cabins for the price of 1-7 night in a suite. I don't know about others but i would rather have 21 nights at sea instead of 7 for the same price. Perks don't matter to me, i just want to be on the water as often as I can.

I love the suite life. My problem is very few ships have suites or Haven Suites (except for the 2 bedroom) that the bed will separate into two beds. I travel with my SIL and as much as I love her I don't want to sleep with her. Tried sleeping on the couch on one cruise for 11 days and won't be doing that again.

Harriet

Yup.

Just because we are travelling together does not mean we are a couple and would like to sleep together.

Please get with the norm in the hospitality industry. :)

We booked ours almost 2 years out and using hotel points to cover hotel rooms for 3 nights along the way. My husband and I rarely get to take a vacation together due to his job and the last time was 6 years ago. Even though he gets 6 weeks a year off, it's impossible for him to take that much due to the job. A day or two here and there but not a lot of days all at once. I would love to take several cruises a year but will settle for one splurge every few years instead.

I book WAY in advance, so I can save up and have it paid for by final payment. I indulge very little with most things I life, so I love to spoil myself when I go on a vacation or even a weekend get away. I always go for the best I figure I can afford. Every time I think of " wasting" money on something trivial, I just ask myself " would I rather have this, or pay to have a gorgeous suite with all the great perks on my cruise?" And and it should be easy to guess which I decide ;).

To me, it's not so much as to whether a suite is affordable (it is), but it's not a good use of funds. I usually cruise in an inside or oceanview and I can get 3-7 night cruises in one of those cabins for the price of 1-7 night in a suite. I don't know about others but i would rather have 21 nights at sea instead of 7 for the same price. Perks don't matter to me, i just want to be on the water as often as I can.

I'm in this camp. I've yet to see a perk that would make it worth it to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I am testing the "cruise more for less" theory this year. First time in a long time not to cruise in suites - For our NCL cruise we only have a spa mini suite (i know its only a deluxe balcony). With air fare transatlantic - and pre and post cruise hotels - it costs more to travel than the actual cruise :( - I added into the equation another cruise in the Med in June - and a January vacation - so - testing the waters of downgrading this year - I REALLY hope we enjoy it as it is hard to go backwards - but as we get older - just feel we want to spend our money wisely and enjoy as much time out as possible..

How bad can a spa mini be huh? My theory is on a 14 night TA crossing we will use the spa a lot - weather wont be great so cant see us missing out much with POSH - we will miss the space (although we re only two of us we do like big space) and the dining perks - oh and our Butler - will miss not having a Butler but hey ho -

For the price of upgrading to a suite - I was able to grab a weeks cruise in June around Italy, Spain and France on another line - in a premium balcony..Maybe I am getting wiser with older age - but I am really hoping we can get used to NOT cruising the suite life - so we can take more trips and still enjoy them..

we shall see - the jury is still out ;)

Anyone else "gone back"?

I tend to travel with the same people all the time, we are pretty easy, we have done 4 people in bunk beds in an inside all the way up to 5 in a 2 bedroom suite. I would not attempt 6 in a 2 bedroom suite, it really isn't made for it unless it is small children, the 2nd bedroom bed really isn't that big. I book early and pay it off as I go along and I always use my NCL cc to bank points. I also did a bunch of 1 nighters in suites since November but I booked those through CAS so the upgrade fees were not bad at all. I almost always use them when booking except for this Septembers cruise, I used a big online agency as CAS was on par with pricing but had no OBC attached. As far as being able to afford it if you get the right deal the costs are minimal (I stated yesterday with the OBC, UDP, UBP the total cost was $531.00 for an H4 (i always get the master suite as I am the one that gets the discounts through CAS and do all the grunt work for the cruises) after factoring it all in together, right now the lowest inside cabin on my sailing starts at $629.00 with zero perks). If you do your homework and travel with other people it is doable. That being said I cannot say that we sometimes don't get on each other's nerves (we are family hehe) but overall I have never really had a bad time with them and I will continue to cruise with them in the future.

My secret (such as it is) to affording the suite life is to sail the week before Christmas (much cheaper) and book way early. Both times I have done this I have scored a good amount of OBC ($450 this time around) and booked at a cheaper price (my current suite is up over $450 pp from what I booked). I also use my NCL BofA points to get more OBC which brings the overall cost even lower.

Because I can generally only cruise once a year and sometimes only every other year, I can also save up to pay for the higher costs of a suite, including the "hidden" costs of tipping the butler and concierge. It's not that those are secret costs, but they are in addition to the normal sailing costs and need to be accounted for in the budgeting process. It takes a little more planning, but is well worth it.

I think you've made an important point - part of your decision is how often do you want to cruise? I'd rather cruise 2-3 times a year in a regular room than once a year in the suite - but the budget it finite. You have x amount of money, and you have to spread it out as best you can. I could cruise five times a year, as far as the budget goes, if I did inside, but only once for suite. Our compromise is 2-3 times on the lovely aft balcony.

Why pay NCL "installments"? An installment payment is a periodic payment that's made on a loan. You don't have a loan from NCL. You have a booking. If someone has to save for their cruise (suite or otherwise), that's fine, but makes far more sense to fund your own savings account with periodic deposits sufficient to meet the savings goal (the fare). Then make one payment at or near final payment date.

It isn't Bank of NCL, after all.

If this is an issue of "NCL has my money so I can't spend it..." well, I'll save the lecture for another time.

I make payments to NCl when I book early.....it's not like a loan or a credit card, it's the exact same as paying in full. Some of us can't pay it all at once. I also pay all the fees and excursions in advance so when I step foot on the ship I have nothing to worry about.

I make payments to NCl when I book early.....it's not like a loan or a credit card, it's the exact same as paying in full. Some of us can't pay it all at once. I also pay all the fees and excursions in advance so when I step foot on the ship I have nothing to worry about.

Your logic is flawed. If you can afford to make payments to NCL, then you can afford to save your own money and make one final payment to NCL. See, you can afford to pay it all at once...

I guess I don't understand why you want your money in Bank of NCL rather than Bank of Shelly. Perhaps it makes only a little bit of difference, but what difference it does make can only be to your advantage.

This sailing will be our 2nd suite cabin. I think that prices for a suite are a bit high. The only reason we are in a suite on our Getaway sailing is the price came down to within $300 of our Spa Balcony cabin. That price I could justify. Not to get off topic but our suite price on the Getaway is actually cheaper than an inside cabin on a Disney cruise. Now that's expensive..

First time in a suite coming up - only booked it because it came down super far in price. Hoping I won't be too spoiled and can go back to regular balconies after.

We like to pay in bits and pieces too. Makes it a bit easier to swallow and I won't think I have more money in my vacation fund than I already do! :)

Right now we do a suite when we can. I always book what I have the $ for and then save to replace it and pay in full just before final payment. After we retire in about ten years, we will most likely not cruise in suites. We are in our highest $ making and health right now and going forward those things will only decline I am assuming. So we are enjoying it now while we can. We may cruise more often after retiring and in cheaper accommodations. :)

We can't afford a suite because we get a good deal on the suite or lots of OBC. We can afford a suite because we save on other things. We very seldom eat at restaurants, we have a rather cheap apartment and a small car. We don't spend much money on other things and because of that, we can afford a suite.

Your logic is flawed. If you can afford to make payments to NCL, then you can afford to save your own money and make one final payment to NCL. See, you can afford to pay it all at once...

I guess I don't understand why you want your money in Bank of NCL rather than Bank of Shelly. Perhaps it makes only a little bit of difference, but what difference it does make can only be to your advantage.

I do the same pay NCL in increments. For me I do it this way because I am a very bad saver and having money in. The bank with easy access doesn't work for me. To each there own. And this is my way

We got to experience the "suite life" on the Gem in what used to be a Courtyard Villa (I think they called it), two bedroom because it was my dad's treat. Would I ever splurge for one? Probably not as I don't particularly care for a butler or conceirge. The space was incredible for sure! We have recently graduated from a regular balcony to the next larger cabin just for a little more space. It's nice to be able to walk around the end of the bed without having to turn sideways or wait for the other guy to get out of the way. ;)

Hello all,

I recently saw a similar thread on the RCI board and thought that it provided very useful information so I thought about starting a thread here where everyone can post their secrets/suggestions on how anybody can afford the suite life.

Our secret is too book very early (2 years ahead) and the get the most OBC possible. I realize that booking early is not for everyone, but it works for us. Our OBC has ranged from as little as $300 to as high as $850. On our last cruise, the OBC we received was enough to cover 20% of our cruise fare, and on our upcoming cruise we are even saving more. Also by booking early you can usually get the cheapest fare, and have the ability to pay for the cruise in installments. Additionally, you can use a TA for more OBC.

Next use your credit cards points for additional OBC, airfare, hotels, etc.

Additionally, subscribe to discount sites such as groupon, living social so that you can score discounted airport parking, hotel and dinner vouchers.

Lastly, book the cheapest suite possible. The suite perks on NCL are great and all suites receive the same standard suites perks. Higher suites get more perks, but they are usually MORE expensive.

I can afford a suite by Not cruising in suite's .

I save so much buying a cruise in an inside I can go tomorrow .

That $850 OBC would buy me another cruise .

I got 7 day Bermuda for $299 pp with port fees and tax times two people = $ 881.66

I have scored this deal 3 times allowing me to sail a lot more got me to Platinum level fast with plenty of perks .

I must admit hanging out in the Garden Villa at the captain party was fun but after an hour I was done with it ! If I want to hang out in a hotel room I'd go to one .I'm on a cruise I want out of the cabin . I'm stuck in all winter .

And not to rant but the suite's are in the worst locations on the ship .

On one rough voyage our friend from an SJ suite high and forward .

Hung out in our deck 5 midship just for relief from all the motion upstairs.

J.M.H.O.

Edited by biker@sea

We got to experience the "suite life" on the Gem in what used to be a Courtyard Villa (I think they called it), two bedroom because it was my dad's treat. Would I ever splurge for one? Probably not as I don't particularly care for a butler or conceirge. The space was incredible for sure! We have recently graduated from a regular balcony to the next larger cabin just for a little more space. It's nice to be able to walk around the end of the bed without having to turn sideways or wait for the other guy to get out of the way. ;)

That looks like a nice suite on the miracle that you sailed on. Looks so roomy. I was on the miracle but it was over 10 years ago. One of the very first sailing for her.

Unfortunately for my fiance and myself, he has a really hard time getting away from work. He usually takes about two weeks a year so when we do it, we do it up. So I guess we are in the cruise less often in a suite rather than more often in a regular cabin simply due to work restrictions. Hopefully someday we won't have to make the choice :)

Traveling solo most of the time has made it hard over the years to get a suite

at a reasonable price. I check certain cruise lines daily in the mornings to see

what, if any, a special is happening. How prices are determined I truly don't know. Normally prices for suites are not discounted but from time to time there is that special price for a particular cruise.

I know where I want to go (normally several places) next. Am going out of NOLA in January and am paying 2668 for penthouse with 300 onboard credit with price not 3133 now. For me just same pennies, look for deals and enjoy.

Note to Triptolemus: Can you please accept the fact that everyone needs to handle their finances in a way that makes sense to them? I don't think anyone here hired you as their financial advisor

Its called a discussion forum for a reason.