Flying to European Cruise

LaserSB3Family

We are flying to Copenhagen. Thinking of booking flight with Thursday departure, arrive Friday just before noon, cruise departs Saturday. Is this a reasonable timeframe?

Have more flexibility coming home but due to work and school we can't leave three days early. We are literally going to pick our son up from his last day of 3rd grade and drive directly to the airport!

That's what I've done twice with cruises to departing from Barcelona. It is lovely if you have extra time to explore the departure city, but when you don't, you do what you need to. Thursday departure from US, arrive in Europe Friday morning, cruise on Sat works fine. If all goes well, it gives you a day to see a little and recover from jet lag (you board the cruise feeling reasonably refreshed). And if something happens to delay your flight, you have a "cushion" of a bit more than 24 hours.

Yes, I've done it with an earlier arrival, but I've also done the Thursday for Sat cruise at least twice. Works well.

We are flying to Copenhagen. Thinking of booking flight with Thursday departure, arrive Friday just before noon, cruise departs Saturday. Is this a reasonable timeframe?

Have more flexibility coming home but due to work and school we can't leave three days early. We are literally going to pick our son up from his last day of 3rd grade and drive directly to the airport!

When I fly transatlantic, ( frequently) I leave two to three days cushion to cover for delays, a cruise is expensive if flying in one day before have a very good trip insurance cover. It may well work but it's a big risk.

Sent from my iPad.

Thanks for your advice. Luckily I found a direct flight SAS which makes the timing a bit looser- we will arrive at 7:15 am Friday instead of noon. Connecting flights always make me nervous.

This is more what I do....I usually arrive between 7 and 9 am. That leaves just a little more "just in case" room. And direct flights are always best.

The issue is not so much days as options. If there are multiple other flight options in case of an issue with the first one, then you can go closer. If there is only one daily flight to a destination, I try to add in an extra day or two, because there are less recovery options in case of problems.

DF' date=' I really agree with you that a couple days is better. But if one day early is all you have due to work/school considerations, that is certainly better than trying to come in the day of the cruise.[/quote']

Wherever possible give a buffer, I am travelling in the day before for Barcelona but that's just two hours and many flights per day, USA for me, min three days pre cruise.

Sent from my iPad.