Are there credit card transaction fees in the caribbean?

Lazz

I heard that I could be charged a % of my charges when in a foreign port. I have no information on this and would love some help all about if this is so and how to avoid these charges. Thanks.

If your credit card company charges foreign transaction fees, then you will be assessed a fee for every transaction you make in the Caribbean, off the ship.

The way around the fees is to use a card with no foreign transaction fees.

Edited by clarea

I heard that I could be charged a % of my charges when in a foreign port. I have no information on this and would love some help all about if this is so and how to avoid these charges. Thanks.

If your credit card company charges foreign transaction fees, then you will be assessed a fee for every transaction you make in the Caribbean, off the ship.

Yes, There are International Transaction fees in ANY country outside America!! The key in the fine print is INTERNATIONAL . . . Doesn't matter what money you are using $$, Colonies, Florin IF your Credit Card charges and International Transaction fee . . . You WILL pay a percent for using the card! :eek:

You can type International Transaction fees into a web search. It should give you at least one "hit" that will show you what percent different cards charge. There IS a difference between cards! :cool:

Like Clarea said there are cards without International Transaction fees. Check and see IF your card is one that doesn't charge the fee. I know that Capital One doesn't charge! :) As of 1 May Delta Platinum will stop charging the fee too! :D

We didn't have to pay Foreign Transaction Fees here in Panama for years because we use the USD. Several years ago the banks changed the wording to "International" so as to get fees even from countries that use the USD! We changed card companies FAST!!!! :eek:

The fees DO ADD UP!!! :(

Depends on the vendor. On both st. Lucia and Barbados we're had some people charge our card in US dollars, and some in EC, which, depending on your card, would incur a fee. On other islands we've used cards on, though, all transactions have been in USD.

Odd! Did you check with your cc company?

The terms of that card (no longer used) specifically included St. Thomas as "foreign" for the purposes of the transaction fee. Now we use a Capital One card when out of the country.

I used my Royal Caribbean Visa card to buy a $1,500 ring in St. Maarten. I knew in advance that I would be charged a 3% foreign transaction fee, so when I made the purchase at the jewelry store, I mentioned it and they took another 3% off of the price of the ring to offset the fee. Works for me :)

Depends on the vendor. On both st. Lucia and Barbados we're had some people charge our card in US dollars, and some in EC, which, depending on your card, would incur a fee. On other islands we've used cards on, though, all transactions have been in USD.

Doesn't matter that the charge is in US dollars! IF the company is outside America, which most are in the Caribbean, you get charged the International Transaction Fee if your chard has that language in the small print! It IS an International Transaction Fee! :p

All of our charges here in Panama are in US dollars! IF we use a card that charges International Transaction fees . . . We pay the fee . . . They don't care that the charge is in US dollars . . . It IS International! :D

Edited by Tropicalgal2

Doesn't matter that the charge is in US dollars! IF the company is outside America, which most are in the Caribbean, you get charged the International Transaction Fee if your chard has that language in the small print! It IS an International Transaction Fee! :p

All of our charges here in Panama are in US dollars! IF we use a card that charges International Transaction fees . . . We pay the fee . . . They don't care that the charge is in US dollars . . . It IS International! :D

We've never been charged a fee on charges made in dollars. So, I guess there several factors, and one should understand the terms of their specific credit cards.

We've never been charged a fee on charges made in dollars. So, I guess there several factors, and one should understand the terms of their specific credit cards.

Yes, understanding the terms of your credit card is VERY important! Whenever anyone gets a "new" notification of changes to a card . . . Make sure you read it! IF not it could cost you!!!

We skated for years and didn't pay any fees here since we used US dollars. We had friends in other countries that got hit every month with extra banking fees. We counted ourselves fortunate! :)

When the Banks and Credit Card companies changed the wording to International Transaction Fee from Foreign Transaction Fee . . . We got hit.

The only card that didn't get hit was our AE card. The problem is that AE charges more to merchants that use their cards. Many places here won't accept AE or they charge you an extra fee to use the. :rolleyes:

My biggest complaint when they changed was that they didn't notify us BEFORE they changed to International fees! :( We did get notices about six months after the fact! :o

My hubby was hospitalized here and I paid the bill with a credit card that we had used here for years without incuring any fees. We got hit with several $ $ Of International Transaction Fees. We called our state-side bank and talked with the manager. He didn't even know why we were charged. He had to call someone and get back to us. That is when we learned what "International" meant! :)

You are very fortunate that the terms of your cards have not been charges . . . Just please don't be surprised IF you do start to see charges on International purchases.

Yes, understanding the terms of your credit card is VERY important! Whenever anyone gets a "new" notification of changes to a card . . . Make sure you read it! IF not it could cost you!!!

We skated for years and didn't pay any fees here since we used US dollars. We had friends in other countries that got hit every month with extra banking fees. We counted ourselves fortunate! :)

When the Banks and Credit Card companies changed the wording to International Transaction Fee from Foreign Transaction Fee . . . We got hit.

The only card that didn't get hit was our AE card. The problem is that AE charges more to merchants that use their cards. Many places here won't accept AE or they charge you an extra fee to use the. :rolleyes:

My biggest complaint when they changed was that they didn't notify us BEFORE they changed to International fees! :( We did get notices about six months after the fact! :o

My hubby was hospitalized here and I paid the bill with a credit card that we had used here for years without incuring any fees. We got hit with several $ $ Of International Transaction Fees. We called our state-side bank and talked with the manager. He didn't even know why we were charged. He had to call someone and get back to us. That is when we learned what "International" meant! :)

You are very fortunate that the terms of your cards have not been charges . . . Just please don't be surprised IF you do start to see charges on International purchases.

I will definitely double check before we cruise again. One of our cards is A Discover Card with no international/foreign transaction fee, but like AE, is less accepted by some vendors.

I will definitely double check before we cruise again. One of our cards is A Discover Card with no international/foreign transaction fee, but like AE, is less accepted by some vendors.

We've found that the Discover card is rarely accepted in Europe. However, we have been able to use it in the Caribbean.

It sure would be nice IF ALL credit cards were the same as far as charges or lack there of ! ! !

It might be boring . . . BUT I love boring when it comes to finances and credit cards! :D

Edited by Tropicalgal2

And who might that be Bob? Capital One was the last provider that I know of that used to not have foreign transaction fees.

I used my Royal Caribbean Visa card to buy a $1,500 ring in St. Maarten. I knew in advance that I would be charged a 3% foreign transaction fee, so when I made the purchase at the jewelry store, I mentioned it and they took another 3% off of the price of the ring to offset the fee. Works for me :)

good idea! I will remember that.

Edited by Sam.Seattle

And who might that be Bob? Capital One was the last provider that I know of that used to not have foreign transaction fees.

Discover has no fees and we found quite a few merchants who accepted that card on our last cruise.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

I know there are more, but Capital One is the only one I can remember.

I just spoke with Discover Card last night. You won't see the Discover Card sign in Europe, but if you see Diner's Club International you can use it there. You will see the Discover Card sign in London and will be able to use it there also. I was especially interested in the Baltic countries because of my cruise. So according to the Discover Card rep I will be fine.