Laundry

3shar

So I was thinking of packing less stuff and just having laundry done one time mid cruise. Is the price outrageous? There are 5 of us and that means a lot of stuff in luggage. Especially with messy kids haha. On Ncl Getaway in July

Edited by 3shar

Hi. I was on the Breakaway last Nov and they had a special mid week. Stuff the laundry bag they provide for, I think it was $25. Totally worth it. You can get a lot in there. It was me and my 2 kids.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

It's a sizable bag. Folks get creative with rolling and folding to stuff as much as possible in there.

I'll be doing the light pack for an upcoming Mexico trip. The opportunity is really for a trip like Alaska where you sort of have to pack heavy.

Bag is paper, but if you roll your items, you can get alot in there. Spring break trip the bag came on Tuesday.

$27.99 + tax. Up from $25 two years ago.

When considering baggage fees, it's cheaper to do laundry on board. Everything came back hanging, and our fabulous room steward put everything right into the closet.

You dont say if you are flying or driving. If you are flying and have bag charges it could be less to pay for laundry. If they are really little and you are talking diapers etc there are other options too like mailing a box ahead of time.

I have never used the laundry service before so perhaps this is a silly question. Do you know if they separate by darks and lights? Just wondering if they wash everything in the bag together. That might determine what I send out. I know not to send anything delicate or pricey.

I have never used the laundry service before so perhaps this is a silly question. Do you know if they separate by darks and lights? Just wondering if they wash everything in the bag together. That might determine what I send out. I know not to send anything delicate or pricey.

It is my understanding that everything is washed together, so I would omit anything delicate from the bag.

I have looked at the per piece pricing and it is comparable to what you'd pay at a hotel for cleaning, and the dry cleaning is actually less expensive than the dry cleaner I use at home (at least for suits, so I'll have my suit dry cleaned on the ship before we leave).

All washed together.

If you have any concerns about delicate items or items that you prefer to hang dry it is best to NOT include these in the laundry service. They use high heat to dry items so be aware if you don't want items shrinking.

We have used the "full bag discount" laundry service in the past. Some of the things shrunk (or maybe I just ate too much...LOL)...

I had better luck when I sent/paid per piece...they do a good job on it.

My Mom was in the Deluxe Owners Suite (Epic 2012 April)....and she sent in a full bag....they lost all of her undies...LOL! She had to sit with a laundry rep to discuss what they looked like/value etc:o....it was quite embarrassing...but they were expensive undies...so she wanted to be compensated...they turned up a few hours later....LOL! We still laugh about it now...:D

As others have said, there is a mid-week special for $28 for all you can fit in their paper bag. It's not a huge bag, it's probably about the size of a laundry bag in a hotel. The bag is maybe about a foot and a half by two feet? Someone with a more accurate memory please correct me.

Even with rolling and folding, we stuffed the bag to the point where it ripped, and I had to get a new one and start over.

Funny story about our laundry... and I would definitely NOT recommend that you do this. We sent our laundry out, leave the bag on the bed by noon on Wednesday and you will get it back with the Thursday turndown. Thursday came and we didn't get our laundry back. Asked our steward and he said we would get it back the next day. I asked if he was sure, because it definitely said Thursday night. He said he would check.

He came back and said he went down to the laundry and he found our stuff. It had been washed and dried. Turns out that although I had written my name and cabin number on the outside of the paper bag and itemized the items on the slip of paper, I had failed to write my name and cabin number on the slip itself. That's why it didn't get returned right away.

Here is the kicker. Apparently because I never wrote my name on the slip... we accidentally got free laundry. Didn't notice it until we got home and I was looking at the itemized bill. Like I said, I wouldn't recommend doing this on purpose. They could have lost our stuff forever.

Does anyone know if on the first day NCL still offers half price ironing? If so would anyone have a price list? We used this a couple of years ago with my husbands shirts after being in a suitcase for ten hours they needed ironing. At that time the special was only $2.00 a shirt.

I fit over 30 pieces of clothing in the bag. Now I only sent in cottons. T-shirts, shorts, underwear. I rolled everything and had no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by orangegrove

We are Platinum and I have a little NCL laundry tip. Pack a roll of clear packing tape. The laundry bags are very thin paper not even as sturdy as a paper grocery bag. Use the fold and roll method, pack the bag, and then go around and around the bag with the packing tape. On our most recent cruise we got 30 items in a bag (some of them the grandkids smaller items)

My record is 53 items - including a lot of underwear and pairs of socks.

Men's cargo shorts and polo shirts are the worst. Roll very tightly and do take some tape. Fill in every nook and cranny. Our last cruise, the cabin steward said they don't care if the bag rips or if items spill out of the top. The worst thing is filling out the little form with the correct number of items and I always want to add one more thing so I have to change the form again.

How does the laundry come back? Is it nicely folded with minimal wrinkles? Or are the cotton shirts a wrinkled mess?

Nicely folded with tissue in a wicker basket. I have also had items put on hangers.