A different passport question (re renewing minor's)

Bibble

I have a question for anyone who has renewed their child's passport lately.

Do they keep the birth certificate with the application and it comes back with the new passport, OR does the agent just check the parental connection and give it back, and only send in the old passport for renewal?

I have a situation with a friend who is working on renewing her daughter's passport for an upcoming trip. In the meantime, I'm trying to take the daughter on a cruise. I haven't booked the daughter yet, because I'm afraid that when she goes for the passport, they will keep the birth certificate.

(My next step that I just thought of today is to have her order a copy of the birth certificate to be safe, but I wanted to check if anyone knows this first).

I DO KNOW I COULD GET A STRAIGHT ANSWER FROM THE PASSPORT PEOPLE, but I've called and been stuck on hold, then had to leave my desk,,, called back, hold again.. I can call tonight, but they will be closed.

Thank you for any experience anyone can share!

We just renewed our 14 and 15 year olds. They send the birth certificate in with the application. It must be an original copy. Kids are not renewed like adults are. It's the whole process over just like a new one. But we did ours in march and got them back in the mail in under 3 weeks.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We have a lot of Libraries here that do passport services. If you have a library in your town that does passport services, call them and ask. It was always super easy for me to call the library with questions, and I got a same day appointment for my passport renewal as well. If you have a library in your area that does this, I highly recommend. It was so easy.

Thank you all!!! That's what I was thinking.

On to Plan B - I did find that Vital Statistics is 3 blocks away from my office. I'm having the mother sign all the necessary forms, and picking up another birth certificate tomorrow morning. THEN booking the daughter :)

Yay! Well, I should hold my victory dance until I have the BC in my hand...

If the child is 16 or 17 you do not have to submit the birth certificate. Just the expired (un damaged) passport. I just did this with my 16 year old daughter and had to argue with the lady at the passport office. But she went a head and submitted it with out the birth certificate, and I received the new one in 2 weeks with no problems. Good luck to you!!

Here is the link to the website http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/16-and-17.html

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just did my 14-year-olds last december and I'm pretty sure they sent off the BC. We had to do it in person and both parents had to appear with ID or bring a notarized form from the absent parent.

Our 19-year-old just got his first adult passport and had to basically do a new application. The agent insisted he had to have his birth certificate. I really didn't think that was true but he was absolutely sure they would just send it back without a birth certificate even though he is an adult and had an existing passport. He said it was just like a new passport application and it didn't matter that he already had a passport. I wouldn't be surprised if he was wrong, but I gave in first. The purpose of the BC for an adult application is to prove citizenship, so I don't see why a current passport wouldn't be satisfactory. My guess is that particular acceptance office had people screw it up a couple times and they just decided to require a BC from everybody.

If the child is 16 or 17 you do not have to submit the birth certificate. Just the expired (un damaged) passport. I just did this with my 16 year old daughter and had to argue with the lady at the passport office. But she went a head and submitted it with out the birth certificate, and I received the new one in 2 weeks with no problems. Good luck to you!!

Here is the link to the website http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/16-and-17.html

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Unfortunately, she's 11, so we have to go the "child" route.

But that's definitely good to know for future!

off topic for a moment, make sure you have a notarized permission slip from both parents for your friends child and a medical authorization slip too. (sorry if you already knew this)

No apologies necessary :)

Yes, I've had that typed up for a week

Today I went ahead and got a copy of her birth certificate at Vital Statistics, and I have the permission document signed, so we're all set!

Yay!

Everyone involved is beyond excited :)

No apologies necessary :)

Yes, I've had that typed up for a week

Today I went ahead and got a copy of her birth certificate at Vital Statistics, and I have the permission document signed, so we're all set!

Yay!

Everyone involved is beyond excited :)

I would be more excited if I was involved and you were paying for my ticket too. :D

I would be more excited if I was involved and you were paying for my ticket too. :D

LOL!!!

We went through three friends before we found someone who could come... I was ready to ask for volunteers :)

Carnival allows copies of birth certificates to be used on closed loop cruises, that depart and end in the same US port.

So an alternate approach would have been to make a good color photocopy of the BC and sail with that.

http://www.carnival.com/Core/FAQ.aspx?faq=travel+documentation#q-1394828

That information is definitely good to know for future! I had no ideas that copies would be allowed. Thank you!