Galveston

Badfinger

I have cruised out of Galveston twice. Both times there was only one ship at the terminal (Triumph in 2012, Magic last year). Had absolutely zero traffic issues arriving at the parking garage about 12:00pm and less then 20 minutes to process through check-in and security (I think there was one car ahead of me at the traffic light in front of the terminal as I was waiting to turn right on 25th street, and maybe 6 groups ahead of us the the queue). This year I see both the Magic and NOS will be in the port.

Any traffic issues? Would it make sense to arrive a couple hours later...say 2pm? I really don't care if I miss lunch that first day.

And one more question. Looking at the main terminal right across from the traffic light...where will the NOS be docked? Is it to the left of the Magic as you are looking at the Magic?

Thanks.

I have cruised out of Galveston twice. Both times there was only one ship at the terminal (Triumph in 2012, Magic last year). Had absolutely zero traffic issues arriving at the parking garage about 12:00pm and less then 20 minutes to process through check-in and security (I think there was one car ahead of me at the traffic light in front of the terminal as I was waiting to turn right on 25th street, and maybe 6 groups ahead of us the the queue). This year I see both the Magic and NOS will be in the port.

Any traffic issues? Would it make sense to arrive a couple hours later...say 2pm? I really don't care if I miss lunch that first day.

And one more question. Looking at the main terminal right across from the traffic light...where will the NOS be docked? Is it to the left of the Magic as you are looking at the Magic?

Thanks

(Quote)

Looking at magic NOS is docked to the left or behind Magic

We always arrive about 10 am drop the wife and baggage off then to port parking and ride shuttle back.

Usually fairly close to front of line for security.

Then quickly on to ship.

Edited by Truckersar

Thanks.

Nope! Scoot in there about 10:30am and enjoy the day.

We were on Mariner with Magic docked next door. While it was a fairly typical turnover day, I noticed that things got very busy and crowded around 1pm.

We are about 4 hours away. 1030 is a no go. Getting up at 6am is not something I am willing to do to start a vacation...that sounds like work. I figure we will be on the boat a long time, and eating a lot, so missing a few hours and one meal is worth the extra sleep.

Is it a different terminal building for the NOS?

Different than the Magic & Triumph? Yes, Royal Caribbean uses a different terminal than Carnival.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is it a different terminal building for the NOS?

It is.

Where are you driving from? Hope you don't have to go through too much of Houston. I-45 run from Dallas can be a bit of an adventure and not always a good one.

I would make sure I was in Galveston before the church crowd let out. If you wait until after church during lunch time the traffic in Houston will be hit or miss. As far as loading onto the ship, Carnival has a terminal that is much more user friendly. The Royal terminal leaves a lot to be desired and is somewhat more crowded.

When looking at the ships Carnival is right and Royal is left.

San Antonio. We take the Sam Houston Tollway around the south side to I-45 south. That stretch of I-45 through NASA is always busy, regardless of day and time it seems.

I have thought about getting off on Highway 6 and going "cross country" to Galveston. Might be a nice drive.

San Antonio. We take the Sam Houston Tollway around the south side to I-45 south. That stretch of I-45 through NASA is always busy, regardless of day and time it seems.

I have thought about getting off on Highway 6 and going "cross country" to Galveston. Might be a nice drive.

Hwy 6 route isn't too bad. But if Houston has been building like DFW has, you could have some issues. I-35 from FTW to Hillsboro is a mess.

Personally, I'd go down and burn an evening in Galveston before the cruise. Burned two last time we sailed from there. But I am NOT doing that backstage penguin thing at Moody gardens again. Took three days to get the stench out of my nose.

We live in Dallas and our daughter in Houston. We have still decided to get a room in Texas city just to get out of Houston the day before the cruise. Traffic is awful even on Sundays. This way we can sleep in a bit. Easter weekend what normally takes about 4 hours turned into 6 going from Dallas to Houston on a Sunday.

I usually check Houston TranStar and TxDot web site before leaving for Galveston, then adjust travel route, if needed. Weekend road construction or a major wreck, never know. We park at one of the private lots across the street and never had an issue. I think the main problem can be when the ships are late to port, like fog, then there is no parking available. Galveston web cams are also good to check. Always best to reserve your parking in advance at your preferred lot, plus get $ discount too. RCL platinum or above gets priority boarding, unfortunately, we need 1 more point...oh well. SB

It has never taken me more than an hour to drive from the Houston galleria area to Galveston, during the week, in 5 pm traffic. What is the big deal? 50 miles, in weekday traffic in an hour is better than any other major city.

Don 't need to hear about wrecks and Dallas, that occurs everywhere. We can drive from Galveston to the Woodlands at any time, in 1-1/2 hours!

It has never taken me more than an hour to drive from the Houston galleria area to Galveston, during the week, in 5 pm traffic. What is the big deal? 50 miles, in weekday traffic in an hour is better than any other major city.

Don 't need to hear about wrecks and Dallas, that occurs everywhere. We can drive from Galveston to the Woodlands at any time, in 1-1/2 hours!

amen to this. I can leave my house in Katy/Brookshire area and be on the island in under 2 hrs. (unless I try it at 7-8am mid week, than add an extra half hour). The "bad traffic" hype gets so overblown it is laughable, you want traffic..come ride with me for a while. Lets go from say...Gary In out to O'Hare airport at 7am or 5pm and I will show you some real traffic. (And for those that know Chicago, I will skip i294 and take them through the middle of town to show them the traffic. :D )