Venice at night

steph7021

Can't say what will be open, but one of my favorite things to do is to ride the vaporetto down the Grand Canal, day or night. Maybe ride to St Marks and walk around for awhile and enjoy the evening lights and absence of crowds. It's quite safe.

Apart from seeing the main sights, probably our favourite thing to do in Venice is just wander around...yes, you'll get lost, but you can't get very lost (but you can go around in circles, so a fairly good map can come in handy). They, predictably, eat late, so finding a restaurant shouldn't be a problem...a canalside dinner is a great (but maybe a of a pricey) experience. Checking out (even just strolling around listening to) the orchestras in the Piazza San Marco can be fun (very expensive to sit down and drink!).

I know many have strong opinions (pro/con) about gondolas in Venice, but we found it to be the quintessential Venice experience...rates are fixed, info here:

http://www.reidsitaly.com/destinations/veneto/venice/sights/gondola_ride.html

Don't book a "gondola tour", or book in advance at all...you'll only end up in a group gondola "caravan", and be herded around like tourist cattle. Don't worry...there are plenty of gondolas all around Venice...tons of them...you'll have your pick. Yes...it's pricey, but, imho, it's something you'll remember for the rest of your life. And...Venice is particularly magical at night.

Rick Steves has some good ideas for Venice at night, including his thoughts on the typical Venetian night pub/munchies tour:

https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/read/articles/crawling-through-venices-cicchetti-pubs?extras=true

https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/read/articles/venice-by-night

We've always wandered around Venice at night, and always found it to be quite safe.

Have fun!

Can't say what will be open, but one of my favorite things to do is to ride the vaporetto down the Grand Canal, day or night. Maybe ride to St Marks and walk around for awhile and enjoy the evening lights and absence of crowds. It's quite safe.

It one of the few times the Vaporetto and SM are not jam packed.

I love Venice but the daytime crowds are just ridiculous, especially in San Marco in the fall during aqua alta. If it is raining and people are using umbrellas it is dangerous. Early morning and in the evening are the best times to enjoy Venice, before or after the day visitors. The restaurants don't open for dinner until 7 or 7:30 so you will have no problem finding a place to eat. As a woman alone, I have never felt unsafe in Venice, even late at night. Enjoy!