Useful Apps for Cruising!

On our recent cruise we downloaded and used the following apps:

1) Compass - which assisted us in knowing exactly where we were. You can also check via Google Earth available on this app, what's around you.

2) Cruise Ship Mate - for finding out where everything was on our ship. If you download the Deck Maps whilst you have internet service you can then look them up afterwards without internet connection. Very helpful finding out where all the WC's were on each deck!

This app has lots of information available. You can insert details of all past cruises and future cruises and see what dates you'll be visiting each Port.

Lots more available with this app.

I usually take an atlas with me but now I won't need to with the Compass App. :)

Does anyone have some other Apps that they've found useful for cruising?

Gae

Thanks Gae. I had a look for cruise ship mate but can only find it for carnival cruises line. Is that the one you are talking about?

Penny

Yes, that's how it shows up initially but it is for all cruise lines!

Gae, does Compass require internet data access or does it just work on GPS? My friend had access to it on her iPad without internet access but it would only work on my iphone with internet connection!

Cruise Ship Mate sounds very useful. Yes, give it a try! It's very useful!

Thanks for posting both of those.

Very useful, both of them!

Hi there

For those interested in the Compass App, I just typed Compass in the search area of iTunes and selected the second one that appeared. My friend had already downloaded the first one that appeared but changed over after seeing what extra information the one I have was providing.

Sorry, but that's about all the information I have on it!

Another great app that my friend had and that I now also have is Weatherzone which provides sea conditions amongst lots more information. We would check with it each morning before dressing for the day, then of an evening to know whether or not we would have rough (best for us :)) or smooth seas during the night!

Gae

First thing we all need to understand is that there are more phones/tablets than those made by Apple. So, it would be good for people to advise what system they are using as well as the name of the App.

For those with an Android setup, I really like Osmand maps -- basically maps from anywhere in the world that can be downloaded and accessed OFFLINE!! There are also a number of translation Apps which work offline.

I believe that it is essential for travel Apps to have some offline ability

Barry

Osmand looks very useful, Bazzaw. I find it really frustrating not being able to access maps when I'm travelling overseas.

One thing I find really useful is Evernote. I pay a small annual amount for the premium service which allows me to set notebooks to offline mode on my android phone. I copy all my travel emails, useful webpages, and other documents to Evernote, they download to my phone and I have them at my fingertips during my travels. When I get home I change the notebook setting back to normal and the data is removed from the phone but is still accessible in the Evernote cloud storage.

First thing we all need to understand is that there are more phones/tablets than those made by Apple. So, it would be good for people to advise what system they are using as well as the name of the App.

For those with an Android setup, I really like Osmand maps -- basically maps from anywhere in the world that can be downloaded and accessed OFFLINE!! There are also a number of translation Apps which work offline.

I believe that it is essential for travel Apps to have some offline ability

Barry

We used Osmand app on my samsung tablet while driving around the UK last year. It work so well. It was really cheap buying the app & then you download the maps you need. It uses offline maps which means no large bill when you get home.

I also use worldmate. I put all my flight information, hotels & car hire booking references into it. The only problem with it is that it doesn't have an entry for adding a cruise. I just add it as a hotel.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app on iPhone

Gee wiz - I really have to start getting with it.

My technology skills on my phone is still limited to "green button = answer", "red button = hang up".

Very useful app advise. Thanks. I'm going to try it out in time for my next cruise later this year.

For "i" type thingys I use XE Currency (assume it is available for andriod and windows phones as well).. It is a free app that you can load up with all the currencies for the countries you are visiting. Only requires an internet connection to initially load and update the exchange rates and will work without a connection - really handy shopping if you can't do the mental mathematics like me to work out if you are really getting good deal.

Gae, does Compass require internet data access or does it just work on GPS?

Cruise Ship Mate sounds very useful.

Thanks for posting both of those.

I just told my sister about this Compass App for her iphone and she found that the one I have is called Compass 12th

Gae

Then there's Viber for free calls to iPhones when you have wifi connection. Booking.com and Travel Insurance Direct also have apps if you've made bookings through them/purchased their Insurance. Intercontinental also, plus Qantas as well as Australian Banks all have apps for easy access.

Rick Steves has an app for all sorts of walks and tips in Europe which can be downloaded in advance and used offline. There are language apps where you type in the phrase and that can be translated into words and also spoken.

Edited by Pushka

I usually take my iPad on trips to read books. Being an avid sailor and ex Navy, I'm very interested in all things nautical and in particular navigation. I have an app installed on the iPad called iSailor. Turns the iPad into a marine chart plotter (like road maps but with nautical charts). I have the 3G version iPad, so it has a built in GPS and when running the app you can see exactly where you are, how fast and what direction you are travelling (without having a data connection). If you have purchased charts for the area you are in, you will see charts pretty much the same as they use on the bridge to navigate with.

Will not work inside the ship, as the GPS needs a clear view of the sky to be able to "see" the GPS satellites, but you can usually get it to work on your balcony. Works great by the pool..

The app is free, but charts do cost some money - you can buy the entire east coast of Australia inc Tas charts for around $25.00

Why is that useful?

We have used this on the PC for a while to sticky beak where ships in the fleet are. I would imagine when you are in port you can see what the ships are near you, their names etc. Maybe not so much useful as interesting and entertaining?

I didn't realise it was available on android - thanks.

I have the Ship Mate app on my android phone. I loved it until this morning when it asked me to update it. I updated and lost everything saved on it, and now it shows me only reviews of the ships. If I even try to see anything else, it is blank and crashes after a few seconds. I'm so disappointed because it is normally a great app. So if you are trying it for the first time and have problems, please know it hasn't always been this way. I hope they get it fixed soon.

I have the Ship Mate app on my android phone. I loved it until this morning when it asked me to update it. I updated and lost everything saved on it, and now it shows me only reviews of the ships. If I even try to see anything else, it is blank and crashes after a few seconds. I'm so disappointed because it is normally a great app. So if you are trying it for the first time and have problems, please know it hasn't always been this way. I hope they get it fixed soon.

That's happened a few times. They tell you to delete it and redownload it and then log in again.

• 2 weeks later...

SHIP MATE - They seem to be up and running again now. They said something about a backend platform being out for a while. All cruises are on the one app, but I haven't had a good look around it yet. Seems so far to be a big improvement.

Hi there!

All the new apps I downloaded asked if I wanted to use my present location and I answered YES - big mistake!

Whilst I was away house-sitting for a friend, my iphone was continually seeking my location apparently and next thing I know I had a message from Telstra saying that I had used 90% of my monthly data allowance and it was only the 9th day of the month! :eek:

Upon enquiring from Telstra it was pointed out to me that my Data Settings may be the culprit! I went into my settings and deactivated the present location settings and voila - back to my normal usage!

So be aware folks, some of these apps may be using heaps of your date usage. Most of you are probably already aware of this but it came as a big surprise to me! I'm sure if I'd checked with my grandchildren they would have known NOT to activate the present location settings!

Gae