Epic Studio cabin number changed to GTY

cjc3008

On checking my booking last night I found my studio cabin number had been removed and replaced with GTY.

My TA has spent time today trying to find out why without success. NCL is now closed till Tuesday due to bank holiday !!

TA feels I may be offered an inside as all studio cabins are fully booked but if so will insist I have full access to the studio lounge.

I booked this cruise solely to experience the studio cabins as a solo traveller !!

Has anyone experienced this changing of booked cabins to GTY ? I am due to cruise in four weeks.

If it were me, I'd reject the inside cabin. That would be a downgrade to me. Even with studio access - you won't be near it. Also - you can end up with an annoying room with bunkbeds and such - you won't have the funky lights and the padded walls and all that.

If they wanted to move me I'd want something much better than an inside. ;)

ETA: Uhhh not bunk beds, exactly. But I know my mom had an inside once and they had those fold down upper beds and she kept banging her head on them.

Edited by TifffanyD

There were a couple folks in the last 6 months roughly reporting being booked in the studio and being upgraded to other rooms - one person got a balcony. I don't recall any discussion of guarantee coming into play.

Not sure if they got asked first either.

If it were me, I'd reject the inside cabin. That would be a downgrade to me. Even with studio access - you won't be near it. Also - you can end up with an annoying room with bunkbeds and such - you won't have the funky lights and the padded walls and all that.

If they wanted to move me I'd want something much better than an inside. ;)

Exactly how I feel. Now if they offered a suite I might think about it !!

However the sole reason for booking this (only my second cruise) was to experience the studio cabins/lounge and join in with other solo travellers. I was so looking forward to the funky lights/padded walls and pastries/coffee offered to solos !!

There were a couple folks in the last 6 months roughly reporting being booked in the studio and being upgraded to other rooms - one person got a balcony. I don't recall any discussion of guarantee coming into play.

Not sure if they got asked first either.

What I cannot understand is how they could allocate a cabin number on booking but now four weeks later change it to GTY without telling me.

Exactly how I feel. Now if they offered a suite I might think about it !!

However the sole reason for booking this (only my second cruise) was to experience the studio cabins/lounge and join in with other solo travellers. I was so looking forward to the funky lights/padded walls and pastries/coffee offered to solos !!

We are taking a friend with us on our Epic cruise - when we looked at the cruise prices, an inside cabin was cheaper than the studios. Like you, he liked the idea of being in the studios. Although one has access to the lounge still - there is an element of feeling part of an exclusive area, where travelling solo - is comfortable. Dont accept an "inside" as an alternative. It is not an upgrade. If you prefer an outside or balcony - then yes, thats acceptable - but nope - not an inside guarantee - that is a downgrade from a studio. Keep an open mind as yet - and try enjoy bank holiday weekend! It may well be you are in a balcony guarantee - which would be a nice upgrade. Anything less - hmmmm - up to you. Keep us posted how it goes.

Thankyou TiffanyD and Blondie08 for the comforting words. Yes my TA is fully aware I want the studio cabin back ! It is the British offices of NCL that only open Mon to Fri and now that we have a bank holiday nothing will happen till Tuesday.

I am just so disappointed to have this happen close to sailing without a word from NCL to say they had changed my booking.

Thankyou TiffanyD and Blondie08 for the comforting words. Yes my TA is fully aware I want the studio cabin back ! It is the British offices of NCL that only open Mon to Fri and now that we have a bank holiday nothing will happen till Tuesday.

I am just so disappointed to have this happen close to sailing without a word from NCL to say they had changed my booking.

When do you sail? I may have missed it.

If they did give away your room and you are stuck in something you don't want then you could try to request compensation (OBC). But I hope you can get your room back.

When I definitely want to keep my room I have my TA put a "No upgrades - DO NOT MOVE" not on my reservation :)

Thanks again TifffanyD. I am so new to all this. I will ensure that note goes onto my future cruises (transatlantic Epic Oct14).

It is so unfortunate I have to wait till next Tues before any hope of an answer as to why they changed the bkg.

I sail in 4 weeks and had been so looking forward to the studios. Hopefully this is just a blip but I will ask my TA to ask for some OBC even if I get my cabin back as a form of compensation for this mistake.

have you told your TA to try contacting NCL US office instead of the UK office?[/quote

Thanks I will ask her tomorrow.

Its only 4pm just now over there - give them a call yourself??? Office will still be open :)

No joy. As booking made through TA apparently she has to deal so will continue tomorrow. As soon I get a solution I will update.

I just hope no one else has had their booking changed in a similar way as it is not a good way for NCL to act.

And?? The problem is??

I said he/she could call directly - not get their TA to call..

We do stay up after 9pm here in the UK you know....

No joy. As booking made through TA apparently she has to deal so will continue tomorrow. As soon I get a solution I will update.

I just hope no one else has had their booking changed in a similar way as it is not a good way for NCL to act.

Isn't it fun being snarky and then being wrong.:o

I knew the OP couldn't call because he said previously he booked through a TA. I was banking on the fact that his TA wouldn't be working at 9:30pm on a Friday night. Seems I was correct.

NCL UK is open for TAs only on a Saturday........I booked a cruise on a Saturday around 11am for departure on Sunday, and my cruise docs were processed by NCL by around 2pm Sat afternoon.

Thanks I will contact my TA now!

NCL UK is open for TAs only on a Saturday........I booked a cruise on a Saturday around 11am for departure on Sunday, and my cruise docs were processed by NCL by around 2pm Sat afternoon.

Have spoken to TA who has again contacted NCL. She has been told an email has been sent to Miami for an explanation but answer not expected till Tuesday due to UK bank holiday. So we just have to be patient it seems !

Have spoken to TA who has again contacted NCL. She has been told an email has been sent to Miami for an explanation but answer not expected till Tuesday due to UK bank holiday. So we just have to be patient it seems !

Ooooh what a nuisance huh - hang in there and go enjoy bank holiday weekend!

On checking my booking last night I found my studio cabin number had been removed and replaced with GTY.

My TA has spent time today trying to find out why without success. NCL is now closed till Tuesday due to bank holiday !!

TA feels I may be offered an inside as all studio cabins are fully booked but if so will insist I have full access to the studio lounge.

I booked this cruise solely to experience the studio cabins as a solo traveller !!

Has anyone experienced this changing of booked cabins to GTY ? I am due to cruise in four weeks.

This is pretty strange!! Did you book the original studio as a GTY and then get a room assigned?? That is usually the only way I've noticed having this situation in the past. If you booked a specific room at original booking and now it's changed, then NCL would normally call your TA to get permission first. Going to be interesting to see the final outcome.

This is pretty strange!! Did you book the original studio as a GTY and then get a room assigned?? That is usually the only way I've noticed having this situation in the past. If you booked a specific room at original booking and now it's changed, then NCL would normally call your TA to get permission first. Going to be interesting to see the final outcome.

Yes it is going to be interesting as my booking clearly states I was allocated studio 11573. I will update asap.