Regal/Royal "sideways" interior cabin question

bradpole

Glad I found this thread. Looking at booking a interior cabin, possibly a "side-ways" one on the Regal.

Princess list the interiors as being from 166 to 175 sq feet for the sideways ones.

The "regular" ones all seem to be 166. I know 9 feet isn't much but can you tell the difference ?

There is a price difference but it is minor, about $15 p.p.

Will I notice the extra space or is a sideways layout less efficient and better to book a regular one.

We have never booked a interior cabin and am not sure I can handle it. The $ difference

between balcony and insides is large especially without the ocean-view option.

Any advice ?

The 9 sq ft. did feel slightly larger to me. But I so deplored the fact that the door from the hallway was flush with the hallway (not inset at all) and opened right into the main part of the cabin that I would not happily select a sideways inside on the Royal or Regal. Besides that, the closet is divided into two areas, and we sometimes store a suitcase on the upper shelf in the closet, which would be impossible. There is more storage in the sideways insides, but we cruise for long period of times and had plenty of storage space in our perpendicular inside.

The sideways insides on the Grand Class ships are much larger but even these hold little appeal for me. I felt a bit like I was living in a glass house, as everytime the door was opened, our cabin was on full display, and we heard considerably more noise from the hallway, due to our cabin sharing a wall with it and it being close to the midship elevators.

My view on these sideways cabins is a minority one, but not the only one, so I do like to post another perspective on these threads.

Had a sideways inside on the Royal. In addition to the door opening up directly into the cabin at the end of the bed there is one other place where it is more problematic then the standard cabins. The entry into the bathroom is more constricted. Basically you cannot have the safe open and open the bathroom door at the same time. Makes it a bit more awkward with two in the cabin with one getting things off of shelves, if the other is trying to get in/out of the bathroom. Easily worked around, just something to be aware of.