Motion sickness? Should I worry?

Mrs.Gosse

Thank you for all the replies, I am feeling very encouraged and informed by everyone who has sailed the same cruise. I had not thought about taking the Bonine before bed but it seems a lot of people are doing that. Does that seem to cut back on the drowsy period? How long does Bonine last? Most drugs are never really 24hrs.

I think I am going to try both medications here at home and have a few drinks and see if I get the zombie syndrome.

My wife has no noticeable problems with drowsiness & has wine with dinner without getting the "zombie syndrome". ;)

We purchase meclizine from our health plan OTC which is available in 12.5 mg or 25 mg (scored to break in half) tablets. In the ship's gift shop Bonine cost about a $1 per tablet but only pennies per tablet when purchased from our HMO's pharmacy (100 tablets for under $6). She prefers the 12.5 mg tablets & takes it before going to sleep. If it's exceptionally rough she takes a 2nd tablet at night or during the day.

She is very susceptible to all types of motion sickness and with meclizine has been able to enjoy many cruises. Even in the notoriously rough Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand with hurricane force winds and 20 to 25 foot seas she did okay.

Based on what I've read meclizine is designed to be a preventative and it's best not to wait until symptoms exist to treat them. Even OTC medicines and herbals can interact with other medicines & health issues so it's always wise to check with your doctor or pharmacist before taking them. Meclizine is an antihistamine so for those with allergies it may even help those symptoms. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

You will be on the Pacific Ocean and will probably feel the motion. Be safe and take a Bonine every night before bed. It does last 24 hours and I have never gotten sick even in the worst seas.

My wife has no noticeable problems with drowsiness & has wine with dinner without getting the "zombie syndrome". ;)

We purchase meclizine from our health plan OTC which is available in 12.5 mg or 25 mg (scored to break in half) tablets. In the ship's gift shop Bonine cost about a $1 per tablet but only pennies per tablet when purchased from our HMO's pharmacy (100 tablets for under $6). She prefers the 12.5 mg tablets & takes it before going to sleep. If it's exceptionally rough she takes a 2nd tablet at night or during the day.

She is very susceptible to all types of motion sickness and with meclizine has been able to enjoy many cruises. Even in the notoriously rough Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand with hurricane force winds and 20 to 25 foot seas she did okay.

Based on what I've read meclizine is designed to be a preventative and it's best not to wait until symptoms exist to treat them. Even OTC medicines and herbals can interact with other medicines & health issues so it's always wise to check with your doctor or pharmacist before taking them. Meclizine is an antihistamine so for those with allergies it may even help those symptoms. ;)

This is encouraging. I was probably just uber-tired and just the traveling in general messed me up. I do always take my motion sickness meds before traveling. I noticed my OTC Bonine is 25mg each. If I am feeling zombie-esque maybe I can just take half since that is a normal prescribed amount. Not sure if I will be at the doctor before my cruise. When I took it this spring I was very pleased with how well it worked up until the last few hours of the last time. I will consider taking it at night like many people are saying to do. I will take my first dose at the hotel in Seattle the night before.