Seattle Walking Question

Rock712

Hi , we have one evening in Seattle before our cruise and trying to make the most out of it. Our plan is to arrive Seattle approx. 5:30 pm , taxi or towncar to Hampton Inn Downtown , and then walk to Space Needle for dinner. Looks like about a 10 minute walk straight down 5th Ave. Next morning up early and looks like approx. 1 mile / 30 min walk to Pikes Market area for a couple of hours before going back to hotel and checking out and cab/shuttle to pier

My question is not knowing this area at all , is it a safe area , especially in the evening , for walking. We live in Tampa and I know there are some areas I'd feel completely safe and then some I wouldn't do if it were only a one minute walk. I know nothing 100% guaranteed , but just looking for some advice from those that know the area.

Yes, plenty safe for walking. You could also take any number of city buses or the monorail (foot of the Space Needle) to speed up the trip to the commercial center. The hotel front desk can advise re the bus options.

That's our preferred area to stay and we walk downtown every time we come to Seattle. The only caveats I'd add are:

• if you're walking back from downtown with a bunch of stuff those hills are a lot more effort than on the way down! Consider hopping in a cab ($10, maybe less)
  • don't deviate East from the most direct route - go down 5th Ave or angle westward through some of the 'campus' at Seattle Center between towards 2nd Ave.
  • if you do go east Aurora has limited pedestrian crossing options (partially grade-separated route) and things get a bit scruffier around Denny Park.

Thank you everyone for your replies. Helpful info I was looking for , especially about catching monorail at Space needle to go to the Market. Hopefully we can get to everything in the time we have.

keep in mind that Seattle has long days. At the end of June it won't be dark until 9:30-9:45 pm, so your walk home from the Space Needle will probably be in daylight.

A cab to pier 91 will probably cost $15-$20 from Hampton Inn.

p.s. The QFC grocery store is only a block from your hotel if you need any supplies to take on the cruise

Edited by mapleleaves
p.s.