What would you do?

P&O SUE

I know, in the end it's up to me and finances play a large part but I just thought I'd ask anyway.

I have been on two 7 night cruises and this year will be doing a short 4 night break and a land holiday. Next year I'll be in a bit better place financially so my question is do I do a longer cruise (I'm talking 10-12 nights) or take two cruises - another 7 nighter and I've seen a short cruise to Amsterdam that interests me.

Edited by P&O SUE

Hi,

As you say, its really personal choice. However I'd personally go for a 14 night cruise, as I find the 7 night ones just far too short. I'm just getting settled into my lovely cruise and then I have to get off! 14 nighters are just right for me.

Haven't done a 12 night one, but have done 10, and I know its going to sound strange, but I really do miss those extra 4 nights!

By doing 2 x 7 night cruises though, you get to cruise twice during the year against perhaps once if you're doing the 12 nighter. Plus the short cruise.

I'm sorry I'm not being any help whatsoever. I think if push came to shove and I HAD to decide, I'd go for the two 7 nighters, as I'd have another cruise to look forward to after I came off the first! But I'd much rather settle for a 7 nighter AND a longer cruise though!

Good luck in making your decision and I'm sure you'll love whatever cruises you decide.

Thank you for your reply Homeless bear :) i did laugh when you said you had been no help :D I just wanted others opinions so it would help with my decision!

My main problem is I have to give my main holiday dates in at work in September for NEXT YEAR and it's very hard to change as a rule. If I could choose nearer the time I would wait and see and see if there were any bargains but I'm looking to see what cruises I like to see what weeks I will have to request!

I don't know if its a factor Sue but are you planning to cruise from Southampton and is the journey there a factor?

I think if it were me I'd look at in a different way though - where do you want to go to - e.g. if the Baltics and St Petersburg then 14 nights would be best, but if the Med and you plan to fly there then you cold do 2 7 nighters .

For me the ports of call would be the deciding factor

Thankyou Gadabout - we don't like flying so going from Southampton is what we like. We're only 2 or 3 hours from the port so it's a plus factor.

We've done the Atlantic ports and Norway - unfortunately we went to France and Spain in the worse June on record so weather wasn't as great as we'd hoped so one factor is going a bit further South (ie Cadiz Lisbon etc). I would happily do Norway again but hubby wants to go to some different ports. We absolutely loved the Atlantic cruise we did - we loved the whole cruising experience but would like some sunnier weather!

Thankyou Gadabout - we don't like flying so going from Southampton is what we like. We're only 2 or 3 hours from the port so it's a plus factor.

We've done the Atlantic ports and Norway - unfortunately we went to France and Spain in the worse June on record so weather wasn't as great as we'd hoped so one factor is going a bit further South (ie Cadiz Lisbon etc). I would happily do Norway again but hubby wants to go to some different ports. We absolutely loved the Atlantic cruise we did - we loved the whole cruising experience but would like some sunnier weather!

So if you are going to the Med from Southampton I would say go for two weeks to maximise your time in the sun and see lots of great new ports. My personal favourites are Cadiz, Valencia, Barcelona and Gibraltar!

Thank you I am looking at cruises with some or all of those ports - I have wanted to go to the Alhambra in Spain for ages so a cruise visiting Malaga would be first on my list.

Like gadabout60, I would go for a longer cruise from Southampton to the Med. That way I would get some warmer weather, more time on a cruise without the hassles of planes and one nice long restful holiday instead of a 7 day cruise x 2.

Nice decision to have to make.

Thank you I am looking at cruises with some or all of those ports - I have wanted to go to the Alhambra in Spain for ages so a cruise visiting Malaga would be first on my list.

Great - good luck in finding the right cruise - I am sure you will love it!

Here's another vote for the 14 night - or if you can afford the holiday from work maybe even a 17 night then you could go as far as Venice and Croatia which should really please your husband. I don't like flying either so we only sail from the Uk and the short cruises really restrict your choice of ports. One of my favourite ports is Cartegena (the Spanish one not the one in Columbia) it's a beautiful port to just get off and wander around.

Have a great time

Gill

We've done cruises ranging from 3 nights to 25 nights and the shorter the cruise the less relaxing we find it to be. The short cruises are more fun cruises and there are often lots of groups and families on them so we don't find them as relaxing as the longer cruises to the Med and beyond. One of the best cruises we've done was 17 days to Croatia, Italy, Greece and Spain on Azura. The length was just right, the weather was great and we felt totally relaxed because we loved the ship and the ports were interesting but we didn't rush round like maniacs trying to see too much

We've done cruises ranging from 3 nights to 25 nights and the shorter the cruise the less relaxing we find it to be. The short cruises are more fun cruises and there are often lots of groups and families on them so we don't find them as relaxing as the longer cruises to the Med and beyond. One of the best cruises we've done was 17 days to Croatia, Italy, Greece and Spain on Azura. The length was just right, the weather was great and we felt totally relaxed because we loved the ship and the ports were interesting but we didn't rush round like maniacs trying to see too much

That sounds idyllic :D We couldn't manage 17 nights sadly. I would never do a 2 nighter though - much too short!