Self walk off

"Self walk off" is a term used for debarkation where you carry off all of your luggage rather than putting it out the night before. These people are the first called to exit the ship.

This has becoming more poular as I have seen more more people lugging "large" amounts of luggage down the gangway. I guess some people are in a bit of a hurry to end their vacation. I have no idea how it works shore side as I would assume Customs still wants to do some form of "sniffer" inspections.

It should be self explanatory, but it seems too easy, I don't know why everyone doesn't do it. Can some explain exactly what this is? TIA :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You take your own bags and walk off the ship. Instead of going to the luggage area inside of customs and searching for your bag, you go directly to customs, present your passport and Dec form, and leave. Not everyone wants to bother with their luggage; however, many people do self-walk off, and unless you are there early (or later) the line will be long. That said, we always do it. If we have plans, we are in line by 6:45. If not, we usually leave the cabin at 9:30 (which is the latest you can be in the cabin) and then leave then.

Edited by SissasMomE

"Self walk off" is a term used for debarkation where you carry off all of your luggage rather than putting it out the night before. These people are the first called to exit the ship.

This has becoming more poular as I have seen more more people lugging "large" amounts of luggage down the gangway. I guess some people are in a bit of a hurry to end their vacation. I have no idea how it works shore side as I would assume Customs still wants to do some form of "sniffer" inspections.

Thank you. Our flight doesn't leave until 8p from FLL, but we have a room at Marriott Beach Place for the day,, so I wouldn't say we are in a hurry to end our vacation, just in a hurry to get to next steps of it. ;)

You take your own bags and walk off the ship. Instead of going to the luggage area inside of customs and searching for your bag, you go directly to customs, present your passport and Dec form, and leave. Not everyone wants to bother with their luggage; however, many people do self-walk off, and unless you are there early (or later) the line will be long. That said, we always do it. If we have plans, we are in line by 6:45. If not, we usually leave the cabin at 9:30 (which is the latest you can be in the cabin) and then leave then.

Thank you. What would you guesstimate is "early" or "later" for the shorter line? :)

Thank you. What would you guesstimate is "early" or "later" for the shorter line? :)

Definitely early!! We have been off and in the car within 10 minutes of them clearing customs. Later wasn't too bad. 25 minutes from lining up to getting outside ... but if you don't want to wait at all, then definitely early!

There doesn't seem to be any inspection of the luggage, at least not in New Orleans. Makes you kinda wonder.

People who don't do it probably have too much luggage to deal with or maybe don't know about or understand it.

There doesn't seem to be any inspection of the luggage, at least not in New Orleans. Makes you kinda wonder.

People who don't do it probably have too much luggage to deal with or maybe don't know about or understand it.

We have never had our luggage inspected; however, they can and will do it if they suspect anything.

I'm going to have one piece per person. 4 people. Is that too much?

Will people give me dirty looks? You know like 11 items in the express lane ;)

Haa! I love this question!

If I see you, I will give you a dirty look just for sport. Or I'll hand you my bags. ;)

Have always done the self walk off in our previous cruises.

We always have a large suitcase and a carry-on strapped on top of the bigger suitcase. Since they have wheels it is not a problem.

Last time on the BA, w got in line about an hour before docking time. We were the first in line at the aft exit. As soon as customs cleared the ship we got out, we were first to leave ship and first at the customs. We have a 7 hour driving trip ( park at the pier to save time )to get back home and I miss the kids...

Any way you look at it you will have to wait...either in line early before the ship is cleared or in line during the actual walking-off with a thousand of folks.

Our luggage have never been searched, but the is a table set-up to inspect luggage ( have seen it happen ) and also have seen people being pulled aside and went in the office behind the counters. ( NYC )

Since we always head back directly to Canada, the agents stamp our passport and leave it to Canadian border agency to be more invasive I guess.

It should be self explanatory, but it seems too easy, I don't know why everyone doesn't do it. Can some explain exactly what this is? TIA :)

When you see how long that early disembarkation line is, you might have second thoughts. People start lining up an hour or more before the ship even docks.

We don't do it because it is a LONG line and a long way to pull a wheeled suitcase with a CPAP case strapped to it and wearing a carryon backpack and purse or else pulling two wheeled bags. I'd rather have ship porters take the suitcase. Then I can pull just one wheeled suitcase later. Much easier imo.

OR

I'd rather not have to be among the first ones off the ship, in that long line.

I'd rather have an additional 20-30 minutes or more to enjoy breakfast or slightly longer sleep.

Edited by NMLady

Does anyone know if I can walk-off with our luggage later.....say about 9 am??

You are supposed to go with the self-debark group, the first group, so that if you are randomly chosen for luggage inspection by customs at that time you will be there. Otherwise someone has to look for you all over the ship.

You are supposed to go with the self-debark group, the first group, so that if you are randomly chosen for luggage inspection by customs at that time you will be there. Otherwise someone has to look for you all over the ship.

I dont understand how you could be chosen for luggage inspection by customs if you or your luggage is not there