8 day cruise and tipping.

Can some one please give me an idea what is the normal amount to leave as a tip for the dining room staff on an 8 day cruise...........thanks !!

I think it is now calculated at $11.50 per day per person in the cabin. This includes your dining room staff and room steward. This will be automatically added to your sail and sign card. You can adjust as you see fit once on board and you can always tip extra to those you feel made your experience special. :)

Edited by Bookbug53

We did our own tipping.

They gave us envelopes and we left them in the room.

How long ago was that? We used to get envelopes in the room about 5 years ago. Now they have just added it to the sail &sign bill.

As stated, it is at a rate of $11.50 per day (that is per person in the cabin) to cover all staff. Some for dining and room steward is included in that.

We usually give an extra $20 per wait staff if exceptional, which usually is.

Edited by HawkIVette

How long ago was that? We used to get envelopes in the room about 5 years ago. Now they have just added it to the sail &sign bill.

As stated, it is at a rate of $11.50 per day (that is per person in the cabin) to cover all staff. Some for dining and room steward is included in that.

Will automatically appear on your S & S account on the 2nd day.

We gave our wait staff an extra $30 (there were 3) and our room stewards an extra $20 (there were 2 working together). If you get good service feel free to tip extra if you want, but there is no need to.

People can ask for and receive envelopes at guest services if they prefer to tip cash instead of the auto gratuities.

Can some one please give me an idea what is the normal amount to leave as a tip for the dining room staff on an 8 day cruise...........thanks !!

As others have stated, they will automatically charge all tips to your sail & sign account, except for room service. Of the $11.50 per person per day, $5.80 goes to the wait staff. If you plan on removing auto-tips and paying in cash, which I don't recommend (because you could miss people), use that $5.80pp per day as a base for standard good service.

Tipping extra will bring a variety of answers. There is no normal here. It depends on level of service & the wealth of the cruiser. Some people will tip an extra $100 per person to each wait staff member, which I could never afford to do. Some people will tip an extra $5-$10 in total. And plenty of people will land somewhere inbetween. And all those parties will feel that they received extremely outstanding service. Plenty of people never tip extra, just sticking with the auto-tip amounts. The waiters are grateful for any amount extra that they get.

Edited by k2excursion

I took mine off my Sign and Sail account because I like to be in complete control of all my expense. We do not have credit cards, we only have debit cards and I am very weird about them.

We adjusted ours, 7 day cruise. We put 300 in each envelope for each section that was tipped.

The wait staff in the dining areas was excellent. The food not so much.

Our Stewardess was flat out amazing. She was one of the finest people I have ever met.

I took mine off my Sign and Sail account because I like to be in complete control of all my expense. We do not have credit cards, we only have debit cards and I am very weird about them.

We adjusted ours, 7 day cruise. We put 300 in each envelope for each section that was tipped.

Our Stewardess was flat out amazing. She was one of the finest people I have ever met.

You could still have left the tips on and given extra - you had to pay off your sign and sail card somehow - you can pay it in cash, if you prefer.

You paid $900 in tips? How many people with you?

you left all the envelopes in the room? you didnt give them to the waitstaff personally? any reason?

Sounds like the "stewardess" got $900 and the wait staff got zilch!