Body Makeup...Help Please!

mousey

Hi ladies,

I have a several red, broken capillaries on the back of my legs from falling down the stairs. I'm fine, it happened a long while ago, but these things are bugging me. I would like to know if any of you out there know about any kind of waterproof makeup that I could use to cover-up these unsightly "spider veins." I would especially like to use it when I'm in a swimsuit. I don't wear shorts or mini skirts anymore unless I where tights under my skirt. I would appreciate any feedback about any kind of creams, lotions, makeup, etc.

Thanks!:D

I have used dermablend before to cover scars. The good news is that it covers everything and blended right in looking very natural. It was waterproof and didn't budge. The bad news is that it took me a while to apply (blending and then powder) and it is heavy. I wore it to a wedding and also out for a while but finally decided that I noticed the scars more than anyone else and stopped using it. If you're going to use something though, I highly recommend it. I think I got it at macys and they spent a while teaching me the proper way to apply it. I think it's what you're looking for.

I also used Dermablend for a particularly nasty 6" long surgical scar on one of my legs. I used it in the summer if I was wearing shorts. It is important to get the correct shade and to apply it correctly - it is heavy and will look bad if you don't… I bought mine at Dillards.

Once the scar changed colors to more "natural", I stopped using it.

Edited by slidergirl

Have you thought about using a self tanner? I use St. Tropez and love it. It is a mousse, and you apply it with a glove. Goes on and dries very quickly (within a couple of minutes). I put it on after showering at night, then shower again in the morning. There is little to no smell like some self tanners. It looks very natural. I got mine at Ulta. I have also ordered it from QVC.

Test out Glamaflouge by Hard Candy. It is less than $6 per tube and is sold by Wal-Mart. I haven't used it on legs, but was totally sold by the opaque coverage on my face but lightweight feel. A teeny bit goes a long way and is regularly compared to dermablend. This concealer gets rave reviews by many beauty bloggers and is why I decided to buy it. It blends beautifully with a beauty blender damp sponge.

Have you thought about using a self tanner? I use St. Tropez and love it. It is a mousse, and you apply it with a glove. Goes on and dries very quickly (within a couple of minutes). I put it on after showering at night, then shower again in the morning. There is little to no smell like some self tanners. It looks very natural. I got mine at Ulta. I have also ordered it from QVC.

Self tanners, and spray tans, don't cover spider veins unfortunately, although they do make your legs look nicer overall.

Mousey, I understand that you are sensitive about these veins but, honestly, in reality most people probably won't notice them. And there will probably be plenty of others on your cruise with less than perfect legs. I've got some messy veins just above my right knee from a skiing accident many many years ago. I just don my "cloak of invisibility" and pretend they aren't there.

Wear a long cover-up to and from the pool. Sitting on a sun lounger the backs of your legs will be hidden anyway, and you could take a light sarong or scarf to toss over your legs if you want to lounge on your tummy. Once you're in the pool no-one wiill see them either.

Dermablend works well. To cover those effectively you would probably need the one that comes in the large tube and the finishing translucent powder that sets it. They also came out with a version in a compact that's easier to apply, but the coverage is lighter. My advice would be to go to a store that sells it (Macy's, Ulta) and try it on your legs. Wear it all day, shower and see how the coverage does as it's fairly expensive and you want to be sure it's right for you.

Mousey, let us know which product you go with and how it works for you. I totally get where you are coming from on this. I have horrific spider veins and varicose veins on my legs from being obese for years. While I do agree that most people do not notice them/comment on them, there was one obnoxious woman that made a nasty comment. Her exact words "Wow, did someone kick you in the shin? That is the worst spider vein I ever saw!" My response "Someone is about to kicked in the shin." and I walked off. :mad: Some people have no social etiquette.

Since I am pale I tend to use the bronzers to de-emphasize them. While a bronzer will not cover them up, it will make them less noticeable.

Lisa

Thank you all for your responses. I'm going to try some of the products and I'll let you know which ones work the best for me. I'll probably go out to buy some stuff this weekend.

I know it's vain to care about this and usually I'm not that person. It's not like there aren't other physical flaws on other parts of my body. I don't know why it bothers me...it just does...there's really no rhyme or reason for it. I just want to make it look better if I can.

You could talk to your doctor about injections to clear the spider veins (usually a dermatologist or vascular surgeon does this). I've had it done --it's not that expensive, and the veins have not come back for several years. There are other treatments too -- it's not something you have to live with and try to cover up with Dermablend.

Thank you all for your responses. I'm going to try some of the products and I'll let you know which ones work the best for me. I'll probably go out to buy some stuff this weekend.

I know it's vain to care about this and usually I'm not that person. It's not like there aren't other physical flaws on other parts of my body. I don't know why it bothers me...it just does...there's really no rhyme or reason for it. I just want to make it look better if I can.

It's not vain, Mousey. You have to be comfortable about yourself and how you look, and if you need help from concealers or anything else, then go for it. :)

Mousey,

I have vein issues as well and I'm very pale.

I had gotten over worrying about them...until I had a therapy assistant where i was taking PT ask me if i had a certain procedure...and I didn't know what she was talking about. Then I became self conscious again...realizing that I had 5 spots of spider veins in a hand pattern...making it look like I had been man-handled :(

Getting a little color, whether from the sun or artificial tanners helps camouflage them.

If you decide to do something more permanent - there are options.

I have tried both Sclerotherapy(injections) and laser therapy. I personally got better results from the laser option several years ago, than I did recently with the injections...but everyone is different. Keep in mind that they tell you not to tan/sunbath for 2-3wks afterwards - so it would not be something to do immediately before heading out for a week in the sun.

I used to use Sally Hansen leg makeup which is a spray. It comes in several colors, has a matte finish, and is waterproof. It's sold at Target, Walmart, etc and is about $12 a can. Very easy and fast to apply and blend while it's still wet.

Only thing is, make sure you put a towel or something down on the floor before you use it. :D

You could talk to your doctor about injections to clear the spider veins (usually a dermatologist or vascular surgeon does this). I've had it done --it's not that expensive, and the veins have not come back for several years. There are other treatments too -- it's not something you have to live with and try to cover up with Dermablend.

I had this procedure done at a local vein clinic. Very reasonably priced using a Groupon and couldn't be happier.

@mousy -

As someone else stated, its not being vain, it's about being comfortable with yourself. Whatever you decide to do, here's wishing you a GREAT cruise!