Beware! Southampton to Heathrow Transfer Passengers!

jonikal

:mad: We just returned from the Emerald's TA, disembarking in Southampton. Both our airline reservations and our transfer were arranged through Princess and we opted for the Windsor Castle tour since our United flight to Newark wasn't departing until 4 PM. Double checking with the tour desk onboard as well as the bus driver and coach hostess, we were assured that we would be leaving from Terminal 1. Together with all our suitcases, we were duly dropped off at Terminal 1 only to be informed by United ground staff that we should have gone to Terminal 4. While there are certain United flights that do depart from Terminal 1, ours was not one of them. We had to rush to catch the express train in order to get to the correct terminal and make our flight. It's a good idea to check for the correct terminal at Heathrow - but relying on the Emerald's Tour Desk for the correct information is probably not the best idea. The soon-to-be opened Terminal 2 will eventually house all United's flights and will hopefully prevent this confusion.

There is no way to know what happened in this case based on the info in your post but it may have been United that nearly ruined your return trip. We've had gate and concourse changed on us countless times over the years. It may have been scheduled to depart from terminal 1 but changed due to another plane being delayed or cancelled from any number of issues.

When you and your shuttle driver disembarked early that morning they could very well have been correct. A lot can change over the course of several hours.

I'm not sure how you can say with certainty it was a mistake by Princess.

The main thing the Princess shuttle got you to the airport very early and you discovered the issue in time to get to the correct terminal and not miss your flight.

Hopefully you enjoyed the cruise.

Edited by gottagocit

Heathrow is a nightmare. They don't announce departing gates until less than an hour before boarding. Then with all the far-flung terminals, it's lucky anyone ever catches a flight. We always build in a cushion of extra time at Heathrow, but it can still be a mad dash at the last minute. Blame Heathrow.

Heathrow is a nightmare. They don't announce departing gates until less than an hour before boarding. Then with all the far-flung terminals, it's lucky anyone ever catches a flight. We always build in a cushion of extra time at Heathrow, but it can still be a mad dash at the last minute. Blame Heathrow.

If your flight is due to leave from terminal 1, then it will leave from terminal 1. They don't announce one hour beforehand that you will leave from terminal 4.

The only terminal with true remote gates is T5, and they announce in plenty of time so that you can get over there, via the transit system in Terminal 5A.

Flights will often relocate to a different terminal, and if they do it is for long term, not a one off.

It has been our experience that if a former continental flight( Newark or Houston), then terminal 4, but if an old united (Chicago, Washington Dulles, or west coast then terminal 1.

If you check your flight on flight tracker several days ahead, you can find which terminal you will be leaving from.

Hope this helps.

The ticket, and the itinerary provided when the ticket was booked, will state which terminal, it won't just say 'Heathrow'.

Not sure about in Switzerland but everywhere else we've flown the eticket or related reservations issued and printed weeks or months in advance will indeed only state the airport name. There is quite often no information on them for the concourse, gate or, in our case with flights into Heathrow, terminal number.

You can of course get the latest from the web, which is certainly what the desk onboard did, prior to disembarking in the morning. However a 4:00 pm departure flight could change multiple times throughout the day.

Not sure what the issue is for some here.

Check before leaving the ship.

Get to the airport early.

Check again.

Adjust as needed.

Enjoy your trip!

Not sure about in Switzerland but everywhere else we've flown the eticket or related reservations issued and printed weeks or months in advance will indeed only state the airport name. There is quite often no information on them for the concourse, gate or, in our case with flights into Heathrow, terminal number.

You can of course get the latest from the web, which is certainly what the desk onboard did, prior to disembarking in the morning. However a 4:00 pm departure flight could change multiple times throughout the day.

Check again.

Adjust as needed.

Enjoy your trip!

Just double checked my booking for next week, flying BA from Geneva to Heathrow, it states Geneva Terminal M to Heathrow T5.

I have never not had the terminal listed on the flight itinerary.

There is no way to know what happened in this case based on the info in your post but it may have been United that nearly ruined your return trip. We've had gate and concourse changed on us countless times over the years. It may have been scheduled to depart from terminal 1 but changed due to another plane being delayed or cancelled from any number of issues.

When you and your shuttle driver disembarked early that morning they could very well have been correct. A lot can change over the course of several hours.

I'm not sure how you can say with certainty it was a mistake by Princess.

The main thing the Princess shuttle got you to the airport very early and you discovered the issue in time to get to the correct terminal and not miss your flight.

Hopefully you enjoyed the cruise.

With respect, there is every way to know what happened in this case as well as what should not have happened. We made arrangements exclusively through Princess and expected the information that was given to us to be correct. If United is so notorious for chopping and changing terminals at Heathrow, one would expect that Princess would be aware of this and take the appropriate action by cautioning those passengers using that airline out of Heathrow. As it was, our repeated attempts to do an independent online internet check the night before disembarking were unsuccessful due to the overwhelmed internet system onboard.

Swissdave - sorry but that is incorrect. The Princess issued ez-air ticket did not provide any terminal information, only flight numbers and departure time, not even seat assignments.

Other than that, we had a wonderful cruise, our 14th Transatlantic! Thanks for asking.:)

With respect, there is every way to know what happened in this case as well as what should not have happened. We made arrangements exclusively through Princess and expected the information that was given to us to be correct. If United is so notorious for chopping and changing terminals at Heathrow, one would expect that Princess would be aware of this and take the appropriate action by cautioning those passengers using that airline out of Heathrow. As it was, our repeated attempts to do an independent online internet check the night before disembarking were unsuccessful due to the overwhelmed internet system onboard.

Swissdave - sorry but that is incorrect. The Princess issued ez-air ticket did not provide any terminal information, only flight numbers and departure time, not even seat assignments.

Other than that, we had a wonderful cruise, our 14th Transatlantic! Thanks for asking.:)

Wow so many different answers, thats confusing in itself. :eek:

Check again.

Adjust as needed.

Enjoy your trip!

I have flown from Heathrow countless times and never had our terminal changed. If you check the Heathrow arrivals and departures it will show the terminal and once boarding is announced the gate as well.

Don't know what happened in this case. I did hear a similar story about people being dropped at the wrong terminal in San Diego by Celebrity Cruises. I guess it happens but ultimately it's always best not to rely on anyone else to check your flight details, check, check and check again for yourself and your own peace of mind.

I've got so many stories of flights changing not only gates but terminals at the last minute (literally) that it would make your head spin. One time, I was changing planes in Dallas and as we were landing, the stewardess read off connecting flights and terminals/gates. I had about 45 minutes to get to the next terminal and gate. Got there only to find out that the flight was leaving from the first terminal and the gate next to where I got off the plane. I barely made the flight. I now use an app for my iPhone, "Flightboard," and I can check and double check which terminal my flight is leaving from and the gate.

I've got so many stories of flights changing not only gates but terminals at the last minute (literally) that it would make your head spin. One time, I was changing planes in Dallas and as we were landing, the stewardess read off connecting flights and terminals/gates. I had about 45 minutes to get to the next terminal and gate. Got there only to find out that the flight was leaving from the first terminal and the gate next to where I got off the plane. I barely made the flight. I now use an app for my iPhone, "Flightboard," and I can check and double check which terminal my flight is leaving from and the gate.

That same scenario happened to me in Atlanta! I was given the connection departure gate at TPA, when I got there it had been changed back to where I started from! :eek: