Distance from Pireaus to Athens

petlady7

Hi

How far is it from the port to Athens please , we only have 5 hours in port and would like to see the acropolis and the plaka district , will we have time ? We don't want to take a ships excursion so what would be the best way on our own , no taxis either

Piraeus is only about 20 minutes from Athens by car. But if you don't want to take a taxi (why not?) it will take you a lot longer to get there.

You can take the metro, but from where the ships dock, it's about a 30-40 minute walk to the metro station in Piraeus + wait time + 25 minutes on the metro. In other words, at a minimum it will take you 2 out of your 5 hours to get to Athens and back.

There is a hop-on hop-off bus available at the port, but again, I do not know what control you have of the time (how often do they depart, etc.) and whether you may have to wait a long time in Athens to get on another bus back to Piraeus if you get off to visit sites like the Acropolis.

My advice would be to negotiate with a taxi or arrange for a private car/taxi before you go (there are several recommended on this board).

What line gives you such a terribly short time in port?

Hello, to anyone here that has been to Athens, Greece. Does anyone know where the downtown terminal at? How far is it from the port of Piraeus port? Have to be there at 8:30 am. If we take a cab, I wonder if I'll make it on time after our ship arrives at 6 am at the port? Please advise. Thanks.

Hello, to anyone here that has been to Athens, Greece. Does anyone know where the downtown terminal at? How far is it from the port of Piraeus port? Have to be there at 8:30 am. If we take a cab, I wonder if I'll make it on time after our ship arrives at 6 am at the port? Please advise. Thanks.

What "terminal" are you referring to? A bus terminal? Train terminal?

What "terminal" are you referring to? A bus terminal? Train terminal?

I'm not sure either, the tour guide quoted only saying that they do not pickup clients in the port but they can pick us up either in hotels or at "downtown terminal". They said the tour starts at 8:30 am and suggested that I leave at 7:30 am from the port in order to be there on time. I will go ahead and confirm with the tour company where exactly this "downtown terminal" they are talking about then.

I'm not sure either, the tour guide quoted only saying that they do not pickup clients in the port but they can pick us up either in hotels or at "downtown terminal". They said the tour starts at 8:30 am and suggested that I leave at 7:30 am from the port in order to be there on time. I will go ahead and confirm with the tour company where exactly this "downtown terminal" they are talking about then.

The tour company will have to provide the specifics. And you'll have to think about how to get from the port into the middle of the city. See below.

Piraeus is only about 20 minutes from Athens by car. But if you don't want to take a taxi (why not?) it will take you a lot longer to get there.

You can take the metro, but from where the ships dock, it's about a 30-40 minute walk to the metro station in Piraeus + wait time + 25 minutes on the metro. In other words, at a minimum it will take you 2 out of your 5 hours to get to Athens and back.

My advice would be to negotiate with a taxi or arrange for a private car/taxi before you go (there are several recommended on this board).

Be aware that taxis can take far longer to drive from downtown Athens to the cruise port. In fact, in my limited experience, they always take longer than that. If it's rush hour, or a busy weekend, it can take forever.

But it's very difficult, I'm told, to get a taxi just to the metro station, so a taxi is probably your best bet. Just make sure to budget enough time to get back to the ship.

Good news...

Next days start a new express bus line from cruise terminals to Acropolis Museum-Acropolis hill.

The number of the bus is X80 and will stop in all terminals (will start from terminal B). The first bus will depart at 7:00 o clock and if there are many cruise passengers will be a backup bus for extra routes.

Tickets price: only full day tickets (4 euro per person - valid for 24 hours for all buses, metro etc) or 3 days tickets (20 euro valid for 72 hours)

map with stops close the terminals:

piraeus-stops.jpg

piraeus-stops.jpg

Edited by Anapli

Anapli, thanks for posting this -- very good news!

Do you know if the bus is suitable for people disembarking the ship with luggage who are going into Athens to stay at a hotel?

I know the airport to Athens express bus has racks for luggage....will this be similar? Or is it mostly for use of those going into Athens for the day?

Anapli, thanks for posting this -- very good news!

Do you know if the bus is suitable for people disembarking the ship with luggage who are going into Athens to stay at a hotel?

I know the airport to Athens express bus has racks for luggage....will this be similar? Or is it mostly for use of those going into Athens for the day?

I don't know what type of buses they will using...

Good news...

Next days start a new express bus line from cruise terminals to Acropolis Museum-Acropolis hill.

The number of the bus is X80 and will stop in all terminals (will start from terminal B). The first bus will depart at 7:00 o clock and if there are many cruise passengers will be a backup bus for extra routes.

Tickets price: only full day tickets (4 euro per person - valid for 24 hours for all buses, metro etc) or 3 days tickets (20 euro valid for 72 hours)

map with stops close the terminals:

piraeus-stops.jpg

piraeus-stops.jpg

Thank you very much Anapli

That sounds just what we want , how do you know about this and is there a timetable somewhere of the times please ? Much appreciated

This is good news. I've been told that a taxi to the Acropolis is around $16 to €18 but you have to agree the price beforehand. It drops you outside a restaurant which from memory is where the cruise ship coaches drop passengers off. I did a tour last time but as there is 4 of us we were thinking a taxi is cheaper, but this sounds good too.

Thank you very much Anapli

That sounds just what we want , how do you know about this and is there a timetable somewhere of the times please ? Much appreciated

We don't know the times yet.. in next days we have more information about this line..

Here is a pdf file (in Greek but you can translate with google translator): http://static.diavgeia.gov.gr/doc/%CE%92%CE%99%CE%A6%CE%9346%CE%A8%CE%A7%CE%953-%CE%A30%CE%98

About this line...

The line will start from cruises terminal B and end at Syntagma square...

There are 6 stops:

Cruise terminal B (start-end)

Cruise terminal A

Piraeus Town (Piraeus center)

Sygrou-Fix Metro Station

Acropolis stop (close to new Acropolis museum)

Syntagma square (end of route return to Piraeus)