Adoptive parents please help

nyer

My daughter is taking her son on his first cruise next summer. She adopted him at birth as a single mother. She will be applying for his passport card before the cruise.

My question is: On the cruise does she need to take the original adoption decree with her to prove that she is his only parent? Can she bring a copy along with the passport card?

She is sailing on the Carnival Splendor. Thanks for any help that you can give me.

We adopted our dd at birth too and she's been on a couple cruises with just a passport. However, since you are traveling alone, you may need to prove that you have sole custody. They won't know that you are not divorced or share custody with someone else. I don't have personal experience with it, but I've read others' posts that have mentioned getting paperwork for that reason.

The passport card should be fine. We still brought our adoption papers, but all they looked at was their passports.

Eric

Did you bring the original or just a copy? Thanks

Did you bring the original or just a copy? Thanks

Just a copy. The originals stayed in the safe at home. We are married, so the single parent issue did not come up for us. The decree copy will be sufficient for this purpose on the cruise. I do recommend that she gets an actual passport for her son, not just the card. It will be peace of mind for your daughter.

Congratulations to your DD on the adoption too. It has been almost 9 years since we adopted our daughters.

Eric

Edited by Pomperaugrr

Just a copy. The originals stayed in the safe at home. I do recommend getting an actual passport, not just the card. It will be peace of mind for your daughter.

Congratulations to your DD on the adoption too. It has been almost 9 years since we adopted our daughters.

Eric

Thank you. The adoption was almost 8 years ago for us. Congratulations to you on your daughters. I know that adopting my grandson changed my daughter's life.

Could you tell me what is the benefit of the passport over the passport card? Most of the family have passports, but she thought that the passport card would be just as good.

Also, love your avatar, it cracks me up every time I see it. My daughter is a big cat lover and has had as many as four cats at a time. All of them would have tried to bite our fingers off if we tried to put something on their heads. LOL

The passport card won't help for airline travel out of country....it's really for "land travel" only.

Exactly. It is worth getting the passport. At that age, a passport is good for 5 years.

Eric

Edited by Pomperaugrr

I agree with getting a passport over a card for the reasons others stated. It's a little more expensive, but if they're going anywhere in the next five years, it's worth it. The adoption papers are needed to get the passport.

Unless you're doing a closed-loop cruise, I think a passport is needed, rather than a passport card. The passport cards were designed for border crossing between the US and Canada and between the US and Mexico.

It is a closed loop cruise going to Canada. My grandson is a special needs child so they will not be flying anywhere anytime soon.

Thank you all for your help.

Sailed with adopted DD to Alaska with just a passport card. My husband, her adoptive Dad, signed a form stating that it was okay for her to travel with me alone but no one ever asked us form it. Just upgraded to a Passport book for her for our upcoming carribean cruise (Dad gets to come this time!).

• 3 weeks later...
It is a closed loop cruise going to Canada. My grandson is a special needs child so they will not be flying anywhere anytime soon.

Thank you all for your help.

With Canadian ports of call yes absolutely bring the adoption documents that state sole custody of the child. Canada requires documentation to prove guardianship of minor children and an authorization letter or proof of sole custody to enter the country with a child.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My daughter is taking her son on his first cruise next summer. She adopted him at birth as a single mother. She will be applying for his passport card before the cruise.

My question is: On the cruise does she need to take the original adoption decree with her to prove that she is his only parent? Can she bring a copy along with the passport card?

She is sailing on the Carnival Splendor. Thanks for any help that you can give me.

She absolutely needs proof that she is the only parent - not just the passport. She may not be asked for the proof, but I was when I took my kids into Canada on a cruise. The official asked me where the father was and I had to show the documentation that I was allowed to travel alone with my kids.

Best,

Mia

They absolutely do ask for the permission from the other parent when going to Canada and Mexico. I just went through this in Long Beach. They make a copy of this. Not this time but on a previous cruise- I was asked for it again in Canada by customs in Victoria. It really depends on the officials you encounter. Don't leave home without it.

I have two sons by birth and a daughter adopted via Korea. My DH has gone to Canada several times with my birth son for hockey and each time customs has asked to see letter of permission from me stating my DH has permission to travel with my son without me. My son has even been taken aside and questioned, where is your mom, why isn't she here. I would say your daughter needs proof she is the only parent.

We've never had an issue traveling with my daughter, we just take her passport, but we also have never traveled internationally with her with just one parent.

• 2 weeks later...

We adopted in 99 and did not need passports for our kids until about four years ago. In order to get passports we actually had to re-adopt them in our state. We had adopted from Russia and everything was in Russian with translation. US Dept of State would not accept that so we went through the hoops to re-adopt in Nevada. Our kids were actually nervous thinking the judge might turn us down. Everything went smoothly and they were able to get their passports, but we have extra expenses and it took several months.

When traveling out of country without my husband I always carry a letter of consent from him. I do not carry adoption papers only the passports.

Several years before that we took a small excursion from Seattle to Victoria. The boys were five at the time. My husband forgot to bring anything for them. The immigration officer looked at them and asked them who we were. When the boys explained we were their parents we were all let into port for the day and had a fun time. I would not count on being this lucky though.