Former Antarctica Cruisers

NewCruiseFan

Kootz - Quark Orlova has E-MAIL access in that you can send and receive messages. However, to send a message, you type it up and it's sent by the radio room officer. To receive messages, they are received by the same person & he prints them out and leaves them in your room. If privacy is a concern, this method could be a problem. However, you should really check to be sure they haven't upgraded this since communications on ships seem to change regularly. There was a small fee for this service. I had planned based on the information included in our packet for it to cost me a few dollars a day to send and receive (DH has very elderly parents at home & he is an only child so we pay someone to check on them & e-mail us reassurance that all is well). However, at the end I was presented a bill for $4 for the entire 11 days! It was the bargain of the century for the peace of mind it provided. If you need actual browsing access, that's a different story. The Clipper says it provides telephone, fax, and e-mail on its website, so they may not provide browsing, and neither did Quark in November 2004.

Kootz, Lindblad's Endeavor has email access - you are given an email address, in advance, good for the duration of the cruise. It was free, to check for emails, but you had to pay to reply. There was no regular internet access.

First off I would like to say how glad to see a new tread on previous Antactica cruises with lots of helpful information. I am planning on a cruise this winter and am still researching my choices. Which brings me to my question. Has anyone had any experience with Uniworld Cruises (http://www.uniworld.com/) or Discovery World Cruises (http://www.discoveryworldcruises.com). They both are for the MV Discovery and set out on January 21, 2006 for 13 days. 3 nights in Buenos Aires is also a bonus.

I am also looking at sailing on the Marco Polo. I'll be a solo traveller so I don't really need a fancy cruise. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Arizona Mike

Mike - I didn't know Uniworld was involved in Antarctica cruising! Do you know which ship they charter? The M/V Discovery gets good reviews.

Check out my link above for various ships in the area (expcruises?) which covers many of the other ships sailing down there. It's a good comparison tool. It doesn't mention the Discovery or G.A.P.'s Explorer, but I think it covers most of the other ones. If you click on the ship, you can access photos, itineraries, deck plans, and prices. You can see at the bottom of the price charts what type of single rates are available - some of the ships even have single cabins.

This is a travel outfit offering various packages, and I don't know anything about them. You can purchase any of these itineraries elsewhere and find different prices that vary due to whether hotels are included as well as partial airfare. Also, some of these ships are chartered at different times by agencies and cruise lines like Radisson. I think that for the most part, the basic cruise fare doesn't change much from company to company, but I may be wrong. Someone like Shmabbies, who has already done the trip and the research would know better.

I already know when I want to go exactly, so I'm going to be able to narrow it down that way. That helps a little.

Good luck Mike - This cruise seems a lot harder to figure out than any other, that's for sure.

Yay! there's such a rich diversity of info here. thank goodness.

Edna, most of the cruises that go to Antarctica offer a connecting flight through either Santiago or BA but not both. I'm going with A&K which flies through Santiago but I've been there previously so I'm going through BA, also have been there but I love that city. Additionally, because I'm getting a new passport I would have to pay the $100 entry to Chile all over again and I find that just annoying.

I'm staying a few days to recouperate in BA then flying down to Ushuaia for a couple of days before heading out on the Explorer II - which is listed on the Expedition Cruises site.

The trip I'm doing is 19 days, with the Falklands and South Georgia islands included.

I did do a spreadsheet with info comparing cruises for the 2005/2006 season, if anyone wants it to use as jumping point for their own comparisons. We ended up selecting A&K in part because there are no hidden charges, no gratuities, no alcohol charges and in part because my travel companion previously did an A&K trip and was enchanted.

The ship holds 198 passengers, the Antarctic treaties require that no more than 100 passengers be ashore at one time so the passengers will take turns but still get numerous shore visits. The ship provides the wellies for shore excursions, I was not looking forward to buying a pair and then lugging them down.

There's also a website for the Antarctic residents and other interested parties. It's pretty entertaining. They're called 70 South and the site is http://www.70south.com

Have an awesome time!

WOW! So much wonderful information! Thank you all who have contributed.

New Cruise Fan, I would be very thankful to have your spread sheet as a starting point. My email address is lindaf47@comcast.net. I have never had to do so much research in planning a trip! It does get confusing. The trip you have selected seems to be one I would like to do also. I don't want to fly all that way for 11 days, and 23 days is just too long.

I really do love this board!

NewCruiseFan,

Thanks for the website link, and have a wonderful, wonderful cruise. I hope you'll check back in with us and let us know how it went. I'm particularly anxious to hear about A&K. My travel agent went with them several years ago (on their old ship) and raved about it. He said it was absolutely first rate. Also, not as high priced (as you've discovered) when you realize how much is factored in. I'm jealous that you're going S. Georgia too. I wish my husband had enough time off from work to do the whole thing. That's where you'll see King Penguins, isn't it?

Have a great trip!

Amy

Amy, We did a boat excursion while in Ushuaia & saw a lone king penguin, so it's possible to see them not in South Georgia! Also, regarding NewCruiseFan's observation about not having to lug boots, Quark next season is going to begin having boots on board also. However, we were happy to buy our own at Wal-Mart for $12 & leave them behind. This way we broke them in to our feet before we left by wearing them around the house a few times & knew which socks were most comfortable with them. :D

• 2 weeks later...

We took the Nordnorge to Antarctica last Christmas (Santiago to BA). Great trip. Eight landings, two on the continenent (could not land on Cape Horn due to weather). Ship had internet for most of the the trip - did lose the signal for a while in Antarctica proper.

If you don't want to take a camera case on your landings a ziplock bag works well - take a large ziplock baggie, cut a hole at the top and thread your camera strap through it and around your neck. Then you can open and close the zip portion to pull out the camera as needed. No worries about losing the bag and messing up the environment.

I did a write up but it is too long to post. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to see it. Bpodol at juno.com.

I would love to receive your spread sheet regarding you trip comparisons. 2007 is our 20th wedding anniversary and my husbands 50th so we wanted to do something really special so Antartica it is. We have been looking at A&K and are thinking very seriously about booking with them. I would greatly appreciate your information. My e-mail is lisette@geczy.net Thank you.

The M/V Marco Polo has internet access albeit somewhat pricey.

When we were in Antarctica I had three landings but on one day the weather changed drastically and the next groups could not land that day. We also encountered a lot of fog on the day that we were to cruise aboard the zodiacs, making that impossible.

The weather fairy shone upon us and we were able to land in the Falklands. One island which is privately owned (West Point), has Rockhopper penguins nesting along with other birds. Often the weather does not allow for landing in the Falklands, so for us it was a bonus.

Fran

If anyone is thinking of doing a spreadsheet for deciding on which Antarctic cruise you're going to go on, ask New Cruise Fan for hers. She did an amazing job on it! All I have to do for next year is change the dates and prices. I don't suppose the cost will come down. ;)

Franu, when did you go to Antarctica?

World Traveller's journal is well worth reading. I don't think you can have too much information. Just makes you want to go even more!

I'm on the Nov. 19 trip to Antarctica with Quark. A fellow pax notified me on virtualtourist.com of a surcharge and my agent confirmed it. She says it will be $28 per day of the cruise and is in the process of notifing her clients. Hope this doesn't disrupt plans.

Debby

• 1 month later...

New Cruise Fan,

I have a friend who is not online and would love a copy of your spreadsheet as it is her dream to go to Antarctica. She made amazing recovery from surgery as her source of inspiration was that it would enable her to go there.

If you would e-mail it to me I would print it for her.

Fran

My address is franu@rogers.com

Hi Debby, I am looking forward to meeting you on 11/19....my husband and I received the fuel surcharge from quark, but not this $28...is this a one time charge do you know? basically, don't care since the excitement level is very high right now and i can't wait to see those adorable penquins!! Heather

Archived