Croatian Kuna - Do I need them?

We will be visiting several ports in Croatia. Do we need Kunas? Somewhere on these boards I read that you need Croatian Kuna to even use the public restrooms.

Please let us know. Thanks.

Yes you must have Croatian Kuna, it is the legal currency of the country. Being admitted into the European Union does not automatically mean the country is on the Euro. Of the 28 countries in the Union only 17 use the Euro. In a few more years Croatian will be able to enter into the Euro Zone, which then means the country MAY adopt the Euro as its legal currency.

Indeed you do need Kunas.

As soon as you get out of the ship, next to the public buses there's a place where you can exchange money without any fees. If you exchange money in town you'll have to pay a fee. We visited Croatia last Summer and even to ride the bus you need their local currency.

Enjoy your trip.

Indeed you do need Kunas.

As soon as you get out of the ship, next to the public buses there's a place where you can exchange money without any fees. If you exchange money in town you'll have to pay a fee. We visited Croatia last Summer and even to ride the bus you need their local currency.

Enjoy your trip.

By using a debit card at any of our ATM machines, you will find it offers the best exchange rate. I still today maintain a California bank account and only get my kunas from the ATM. There is no fees charged by our machines here, however do check with your bank as to their fees.

Don't get too many kuna as it is very hard to change them back into euros or dollars.

If you find you have some leftover Kuna, especially small change, stop and buy a water, small candy at any of our many kiosks. If you have larger bills, there is absolutely no problem to change them into Euros or Dollars at any of our local banks.

Don't get too many kuna as it is very hard to change them back into euros or dollars.

I think you can use left over local currency to pay-down your onboard cruise account. You won't get the best exchange rate but its better than nothing if you don't want to take it home with you...

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for your responses. The information is very helpful in planning our cruise and we appreciate it. We are so looking forward to visiting Dubrovnik and Split.

Hope the land bordering Bosnia has not been too damaged by the floods and that everyone is safe.

Elaine

Thank you everyone for your responses. The information is very helpful in planning our cruise and we appreciate it. We are so looking forward to visiting Dubrovnik and Split.

Hope the land bordering Bosnia has not been too damaged by the floods and that everyone is safe.

Elaine

Thank you for your kind thoughts. The flooding is up north, lots of damage and many people have lost everything...weather this spring has been very unseasonable. Hope it improves soon.

We did not want to bother with getting Kuna just for a brief five hour stop in Dubrovnik but regretted it. The bus required local currency, so we walked into town and in ended up further than anticipated. On the way we stopped at a market and I think we were ripped off for just havin Euros. We paid 10 EUR just for six Easter eggs. They were nice, but I think we way overpaid.

Shops in town accepted credit cards, as did supermarkets. The Konsum supermarket near the harbor offered cash back for folks who paid by credit card, so this might have been a good way to get some cash.

Dubrovnik was buy the way the port we loved most on our entire cruise. We were completely surprised how stylish and at the same time historic it was, had expected more of an Eatern Block flair.

Edited by Alex71