It never hurts to ask, HAL upgrade/upsell after final payment

Fog123

I booked a guaranteed obstructed OV cabin and got an upsell offer 4 weeks before my cruise. It was a good offer so I took it

A week later another good upsell offer to an SS so I took it

Figured that was it since my cruise is leaving on the 17th

Nope. Another shot at a Neptune suite

Declined the offer since it was not in a comparable or better location

Only 2 cabins left- either I am an easy mark or my TA 's agency has some clout

Apparently wheeling and dealing goes on almost right before the cruise

At least on early season Alaska cruises

Edited by JudiK

Oceanwench, thanks for your perspective. That makes me feel better.

It's our approach as well, the more important it is, the more we plan for it. If it's just a whim, then last minute is OK, recognizing that availability might not be there. I would imagine it's a bit more challenging for folks with mobility issues, because of the limited availability, and I'm sure that must get frustrating.

We've been looking at these cabins since we booked back in March and waiting patiently for them to either get booked or come up for availability. They are going to be well loved by the four of us :). What a great way to initiate us to cruising (first time for the four of us).

So you'd think. A few years ago I wanted to upgrade from an ov to a balcony for $700. Hal said no dice. Both my ta and I fought them until they agreed.

I know why and it makes no sense. I booked my DF and her husband in Neptune, my DS and BIL in a SY and myself as a solo in SY with a HAL PC. I'm not a TA - I'm just cruise crazy and act as my friends and family personal travel agent. That's what make it more upsetting - these people wouldn't be going on the cruise if I didn't organize everything.

A few weeks before departure I got a call from PC to say he had Neptune suites available and he could upgrade my sister and BIL for 249pp. I said great - do that and upgrade me too for the $249 x 2 because I'm a solo. He said they couldn't do that -HAL wouldn't allow it. The upshot was that he fought for me and the day before the cruise he got me upgraded -but for another $200 more than I paid for sister and BIL.

CJ

I know why and it makes no sense. I booked my DF and her husband in Neptune, my DS and BIL in a SY and myself as a solo in SY with a HAL PC. I'm not a TA - I'm just cruise crazy and act as my friends and family personal travel agent. That's what make it more upsetting - these people wouldn't be going on the cruise if I didn't organize everything.

A few weeks before departure I got a call from PC to say he had Neptune suites available and he could upgrade my sister and BIL for 249pp. I said great - do that and upgrade me too for the $249 x 2 because I'm a solo. He said they couldn't do that -HAL wouldn't allow it. The upshot was that he fought for me and the day before the cruise he got me upgraded -but for another $200 more than I paid for sister and BIL.

CJ

Ridiculous. This is a little different (I think) than my case. It sounds as if this was an upsell. I've been told that I don't qualify for an upsell when people all around me were getting them. I don't understand why HAL cares where the money comes from but they seem to. In my case it wasn't an upsell. This was the going rate on the website.

I most definitely got an upsell offer from my originally booked BC to an SA (They also offered PS, but that was more than I wanted to spend) after final payment was made.

They're definitely out there.